Heels for lower body workout / weight lifting

m1super90

Typically, calves the most difficult muscles to build for men. Hours of toe-raises for years gave me very little. However, girls around me always seemed to have amazing calf development. I finally started asking about it and the answer was basically "a night out in heels is workout!" I'm 100% a legs-n-heels man when it comes to women, and only date girls who can handle clubbing in single-sole 6"+ stilettos. Never thought of trying them myself, however, a body builder will "try anything that works." I got myself a patent leather pair of the ones pictured here to do heavy squats in. Dang! My calves are awesome now! Heart shaped, and all! Additionally, my thighs have exploded, and, the girls say my butt has gotten amazing. Squats in heels is incredibly hard, and it definitely pays off with quick calf development. Also, I've found that wearing them all day around my house is a muscle-exhaustive cardio workout. I'm definitely getting a bit leaner from doing that. Plus, it helps improve my ankle flexibility, in that I'm more mobile in the heels as time goes by.

Hb55f3b72d39b40fb955e5b3874f1290dX.jpg

Edited by m1super90
  • Like 4

I used walking on my toes to rebuilt my ankle and calves after multiple reconstructive surgeries.  My calves were the envy of several friends that run for year (I don't run) until I blew out a calf.  They are still bigger than theirs and they are still envious.😄 All that work walking on toes helped me to transition into 4+ inch heels in minutes when I switched my shoes to heels to heal my calf.  

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

I discovered that too, the first time I tried in a pair of 5” stiletto knee boots. An hour in them was an amazing workout for my calves. I do a lot of cycling but none if it seemed to reach the calf muscles, nor did toe raises. But those stiletto boots were great.

Having been knocked about by Covid in June and trying to get back into shape, I should probably start wearing them - combining fashion with fitness  

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I discovered that too, the first time I tried in a pair of 5” stiletto knee boots. An hour in them was an amazing workout for my calves. I do a lot of cycling but none if it seemed to reach the calf muscles, nor did toe raises. But those stiletto boots were great.

Having been knocked about by Covid in June and trying to get back into shape, I should probably start wearing them - combining fashion with fitness  

Glad you are on the mend buddy...D

• Like 1

Lifting weights and squats in heels  undoubtedly works for getting nicely shaped calves. Much better than cycling. But beware of lower back pains 

i have also heard than ice skating gives nice calves muscles  

• Like 1

Being in stilettos reminds me very much of being in ice skates.

I used to do a lot of weight lifting many years ago in university. It was well known then that doing squats with your heels propped up by a 20kg plate was a great way to work different muscles. Nobody ever thought of wearing heels - that was completely unthinkable - but the effect would be the same.

• Like 1

The front shot shows the bulking results well. The other two show the definition. Especially in the calves, big improvement.

The side shot made me aware that I need to improve my toe flexibility. My toes won't bend upwards enough for me to get the front of the shoe fully flat on the floor. The rise at the back of the foresole causes the heel to tilt forward (which I hate). So, I'll be working on that next.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

5 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I wear 4" heels full time yet I generally loathe leg exercises.  You just convinced me to start doing squats... 

Yes! Some of the girls are doing now, too. With their flexibility they can challenge themselves even more. One rocks 7" (in size 7) heels on nights out. Amazingly loose ligaments. When she walks, her insteps jut far out in front of her ankle, and over her forefoot. It's intriguing to watch her hips giggle each time her heels hit the ground and her arches fold in half.

T arch sky.jpg

Edited by m1super90
  • Like 2

I put boots with 4” heels on, followed this guide, and did quite a few reps.  It feels really good in heels, way better than barefoot!  I’m not feeling anything in the calves yet, but I have a great feeling in the thighs at the moment.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/strength-training-101-how-to-squat-properly/

Edited by p1ng74

19 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Incredibly steep heels. Can you straighten your knees?

the low cut round pumps are gorgeous, I wouldn't be able to wear them though.

Yes. In this shot as I've just put them on so I'm still tight jointed. After walking around for 20 minutes the ligaments loosen up and then I have plenty of extra flex. For instance, opening the fridge door with knees locked, leaning back on the ankles, bending over and looking inside. I got the idea for these shoes from my current GF. Here's a shot of her  "graduated heels" display, from low to high. The highest ones are the same design that I have, but in her size. She can handle steep heels! Vacuums the house, sweeps the patios, driveway, and sidewalks them. She may be a keeper :smile:

Capture3.JPG

0809221826.jpg

20 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I put boots with 4” heels on, followed this guide, and did quite a few reps.  It feels really good in heels, way better than barefoot!  I’m not feeling anything in the calves yet, but I have a great feeling in the thighs at the moment.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/strength-training-101-how-to-squat-properly/

https://youtu.be/2OYFAerAkCU?list=PLqRUOa362JW9BGgkQ7UmigKkbtqoJHsPs&t=834

I use the squats sections of videos like this to motivate my squat sessions to total muscle failure. I can just get through this session in my round toe pumps, while holding a 45lb plate to my chest. Brutal and intense, but very worth it at the end. Try it, and see if you can keep up with her in your 4" heels. If not, keep doing it every day until you do. Then find some plates to hold too.

For your calves, make sure you point really hard on the balls of your feet (not toes) at top of each rep. Maybe hold there for a moment each time. You'll feel your calves after that. Also, I discovered that when I do standing curling bar curls in these heels, it's extremely hard on my calves. That's because I have to point like hell during each up-rep to keep from falling forward. You might try that as well.

Edited by m1super90
  • Like 5

It just goes to show you that beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. I know a couple of Vietnamese gals who really like high heels, but they refuse to wear anything more than about 3 1/2", even though they like the style of heels higher than that. The reason? The really high heels make their calves look too bulky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

It just goes to show you that beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. I know a couple of Vietnamese gals who really like high heels, but they refuse to wear anything more than about 3 1/2", even though they like the style of heels higher than that. The reason? The really high heels make their calves look too bulky.

My prior girlfriend is Vietnamese and had an absolutely smokin' body and incredible legs. She lived on Snaz75 and owned gobs of tall boots, heels, and wedges. Nothing over 4.5" though since she is 5'7" and doesn't want to appear "too big" (tall). Like your friends, probably a cultural thing as, here, girls like being six feet tall.

Interestingly, her dad commanded the 48th Rgt, 18th ARVN, at Xuan Loc April 1975. He's even mentioned in Wikipedia under "The Battle of Xuan Loc". It was a privilege to have to known him!

Picture 037.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, I never had a desire to wear heels. Just insisted that girls I dated did so. In fact, one reason I stopped seeing my last GF was her refusal to go higher than 4.5". Anything less than 5.5" on a girl and she's friendzoned anymore. I only started using heels, myself, to finally get satisfactory calf development. Since then, I've also started using them for cardio (calorie burning) by wearing them around my house for extended periods. I even work on my cars in them. It's super tough lugging around the 170 lb. sections of my QuickJack portable car lift in my heels. Anything where I can put my large muscle groups under extended stress burns a lot of calories. I despise all the usual cardio things such as running (gag), swimming (only for fun), or anything involving jumping/dancing around motions (seriously? ha ha). Consequently, I've struggled with getting my BFI down to where I'd like it. The heels seem to be my fix there as well.

Edited by m1super90
  • Like 1

Yes, too big is unattractive. The girl who goes out in single-sole 7" stilettos's calves are borderline too large/muscular. On top of her record-setting heels giving her massive 8-hour night workouts walking around downtown, she lives on a hay farm, and boards horses. That's a ton of work hauling feed, cleaning pens, and lifting hay. Only relief is she does her farm work in flats. :fine:

Edited by m1super90

Sorry for the delay. In the largest sizes (for men) they sizing runs true. I ordered size 13 (my size is a mens 13) and they fit spot-on. My girlfriend who bought a pair in her size needed 1- size smaller. I suspect that's because, as a girl, she has those flexible arches that collapse/compress when arched this highly. Thus, literally needs a shorter shoe than she needs in flats.