Pointer7

Hi All,

I am a relative newbie here (I have posted a while ago) and I wondered if I may ask for some advice/tips....

I want to get back in to trying to wear flats in public (and eventually hopefully heels) I used to do this a while ago when I used to go late night food shopping when I was much more relaxed.

I would like to try and film myself, does anyone have any tips on how to do this discreetly? I have tried putting the phone in the trolley which works well but it is still a bit obvious!

Thank you all in advance!

• Like 1

I like using a GoPro for filming.  It's amazing how much tech you get in a small, inexpensive package now.  You get cinema quality recording with amazing image stabilization, etc.  Obviously the camera is not invisible but you can get all sorts mounts that allow you to clamp it onto other objects like the shopping cart you want to do.  You shouldn't feel embarrassed about filming in public places, there are other people out there that vlog on Youtube.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I like using a GoPro for filming.  It's amazing how much tech you get in a small, inexpensive package now.  You get cinema quality recording with amazing image stabilization, etc.  Obviously the camera is not invisible but you can get all sorts mounts that allow you to clamp it onto other objects like the shopping cart you want to do.  You shouldn't feel embarrassed about filming in public places, there are other people out there that vlog on Youtube.  

"...there are other people out there that vlog on Youtube."  I second this sentiment. This is the age of social media.  The age of cheap mobile technology that enables self documentation. The age of selfies, selfie videos, self documentation.  Self recording is ubiquitous, something this post inspires even inspires me to do more of.

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

First of all, I would like to say "welcome." I say this with some puzzlement, as I see you've been here for nearly 7 years, so perhaps "welcome back" would be more appropriate.

It all depends upon what kind of shots you would like to get. If you are currently using a phone propped up in a supermarket trolley (or grocery cart, as we would call it over here), I am guessing that you are not wanting a documentary-type video where people can see your entire body, and you walk around and talk about things. I'd go with p1ng74's suggestion in that case.

Thank you all,

No I'd prefer not to show my whole body so I think just having the phone in the trolley would be discreet enough although I will look at the Go Pro option too.

I do want to get back into this as I have come out of a relationship and I really rather enjoyed this :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pointer7 said:

Thank you all,

No I'd prefer not to show my whole body so I think just having the phone in the trolley would be discreet enough although I will look at the Go Pro option too.

I do want to get back into this as I have come out of a relationship and I really rather enjoyed this :)

Best of luck to you in adjusting to your new life. 

• Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

15 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I have to admit to taking quite a bit of video of myself lately, because I realize I need to improve my walk. It's very instructional when a person sees himself as he actually appears.

I would like to do this someday as well, but am afraid of the horrifying results!

• Haha 1

Walking is somewhat a function of the type of heel.  I wear such a wide variety of heels. Some of my wedges I can almost  run in, some like my Jessica Simpson stiletto I have to careful where I put my foot down. Don't want to get the heel caught in an expansion joint or the gap getting on and off an elevator. I have to be careful with my platforms and chunky heels I tend to walk slowly. A young woman was kidding me the other day that she could walk much faster than me.

Going down stairs is the place I would like to use a video to improve my graceful descend (avoid falling). Going down flights of stairs in stilettos is nightmarish, and I have to do this when the elevator is not working.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, pebblesf said:

I would like to do this someday as well, but am afraid of the horrifying results!

Ummmm, yeah. It can be horrifying. I admit, I am probably way too hard on myself, but it's taken me 10 years to figure out how to walk, and I still ain't really got it right yet.

• Like 1

I am a professional photographer and I have been doing a lot of self-captures for a particular long term project on which I’ve been working the past couple of years. So much of what you do in terms of capturing footage will depend on what you want to do with the footage itself - is it to play back and see how you walk, with a view to improvement? Or a documentary? Or artistic footage?

if it is to study the footage and improve your walking, and you don’t wish to be seen shooting yourself, then surely you could do this in your backyard or some quiet park where you could set up you camera.

If it’s for documentary or artistic purposes I can tell you that you’ll pretty well have to resign yourself to being noticed. If fact you’ll need to be noticed or else you’ll have so many people walking into frame and ruining the shots/footage. It’ll happen often enough anyway, believe me.

if you’re shooting outdoors go early in the morning - the best light and the least amount of pedestrian traffic. You’ll get the cleanest footage. 

• Like 2

Hi there.  You could have a trusted friend, spouse or other person film/photograph you as well.  My wife has taken pics of me (and us as a couple) in heels so we could grasp the overall look. 

Another option would be attend an event where guys are wearing heels, something like a “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” event (I wish they still had those - miss them) or similar.  Fun to attend and lots of pics being taken of everyone. 

Good luck, enjoy your heels....   sf

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

On 7/28/2022 at 1:00 AM, Cali said:

Walking is somewhat a function of the type of heel.  I wear such a wide variety of heels. Some of my wedges I can almost  run in, some like my Jessica Simpson stiletto I have to careful where I put my foot down. Don't want to get the heel caught in an expansion joint or the gap getting on and off an elevator. I have to be careful with my platforms and chunky heels I tend to walk slowly. A young woman was kidding me the other day that she could walk much faster than me.

Going down stairs is the place I would like to use a video to improve my graceful descend (avoid falling). Going down flights of stairs in stilettos is nightmarish, and I have to do this when the elevator is not working.

You got that right for sure, dread going down stairs in stiletto boots.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi All again, 

I've finally been out! Went to a couple of shops in my flats wearing black tights :) considering a supermarket with a trolley tonight so I can film myself....

I hope no one thinks this is strange but I'm quite interested in the shoeplay side of things and I enjoy slipping the flats on and off which is why I try and film only my bottom half (hate seeing myself on camera!) so the camera in the trolley is ideal as it also hides it from other people 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pointer7 said:

Hi All again, 

I've finally been out! Went to a couple of shops in my flats wearing black tights :) considering a supermarket with a trolley tonight so I can film myself....

I hope no one thinks this is strange but I'm quite interested in the shoeplay side of things and I enjoy slipping the flats on and off which is why I try and film only my bottom half (hate seeing myself on camera!) so the camera in the trolley is ideal as it also hides it from other people 

The shoeplay thing is not that strange, I don't think. Not compared to a lot of stuff. Good luck with your putative filming, but I must warn you--it will most probably turn out to be way less interesting than you thought it was going to be.

17 hours ago, Pointer7 said:

I used to do it years ago and really enjoyed it but I need my confidence back.... Attached a picture of what I'm wearing... Yes I know not very daring at all but it is for me

IMG20221229133204_20.jpg

Going in public while crossing gender norms still takes courage. Hopefully your outings give you the confidence to push further boundaries.

• Like 1

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well I managed it and it was fantastic, I really tried to not think about what other people were thinking/seeing and it really made it so much easier

Thanks all for your comments, here's to more outings hopefully!

• Like 2