Work and Heels

Jkrenzer

Working from home this afternoon.

This morning, had a rendez-vous with a lady with whom I work with in the local non-profit organization. 

Like monday, when we met, I wore my brown naturalizer booties and had this leather bag my mother-in-law gave me. My nails are also colored, deep green (really looks black).

What I considered impossible years ago is now just normal for me.

Fear is the mindkiller.

photo_2023-05-04_15-33-50.jpg

photo_2023-05-04_15-44-18.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Pascal said:

Working from home this afternoon.

This morning, had a rendez-vous with a lady with whom I work with in the local non-profit organization. 

Like monday, when we met, I wore my brown naturalizer booties and had this leather bag my mother-in-law gave me. My nails are also colored, deep green (really looks black).

What I considered impossible years ago is now just normal for me.

Fear is the mindkiller.

photo_2023-05-04_15-33-50.jpg

photo_2023-05-04_15-44-18.jpg

Well said buddy

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jkrenzer said:

Not at work but still enjoying the heeled life.

20230506_182102_resized_1.jpg

Some interesting terrain for that style of heel! At least you can aerate your lawn whilst looking stylish!

They are a very nice colour though 😀

I have always wondered why pointy toed shoes get such a bad rap. I mean, it's not like any toes actually go into the pointy part, it's just kind of decorative dead space, kind of like the tail fins on late 1950s American automobiles.

Another vote for almond toes here! Best of both worlds. I don’t mind a pointed toe but I do struggle to get a good fit vs a more round toe myself. Not a fan of really elongated pointed toes either though. 

Square fronted heels seem to be in fashion too atm. Can deal with it on a sandal but not shoes or boots. I didn’t mind it a decade or so when they seemed to taper a little more into a square toe but the ones I’ve seen lately seem to be cut square right at the end of the shoe.

20 hours ago, roundy said:

Another vote for almond toes here! Best of both worlds. I don’t mind a pointed toe but I do struggle to get a good fit vs a more round toe myself. Not a fan of really elongated pointed toes either though. 

Square fronted heels seem to be in fashion too atm. Can deal with it on a sandal but not shoes or boots. I didn’t mind it a decade or so when they seemed to taper a little more into a square toe but the ones I’ve seen lately seem to be cut square right at the end of the shoe.

Yes, this modrun super-square toe is just.  .  . ugly. Maybe that's the point, I don't know. Perhaps the reason why it's less objectionable on a sandal is because sandals are only two dimensionally square, whereas shoes add the third dimension of square. One might even call it cubism.

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Yes, this modrun super-square toe is just.  .  . ugly. Maybe that's the point, I don't know. Perhaps the reason why it's less objectionable on a sandal is because sandals are only two dimensionally square, whereas shoes add the third dimension of square. One might even call it cubism.

I agree, and in a way square-toed sandals are worse imho.   As the toes are exposed, fully or nearly so, the failure of the insole to follow their outline fairly closely looks both ugly and absurd to my eyes.   (In the other direction, sandals with a sharply pointed (usually extended) toe can look equally absurd, for much the same reason.

The 'duck-bill' toe shape spoils these otherwise elegant sandals, as does the 'roach-killer' shape of the second pair:

Best square-toed sandals – Square toed sandals to wear in 2022        Midnight Clear Perspex Wrap Around Diamante Bow High Heel | Public Desire

At least with closed-toe footwear, one cannot be sure what lies within, and even a square(ish) toe can pass muster!   But I agree with those who consider an almond toe to be the most natural and flattering - it follows the foot outline fairly closely - but a pointed toe can look very elegant if not too exaggerated and unwieldy in overall length.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Puffer said:

I agree, and in a way square-toed sandals are worse imho.   As the toes are exposed, fully or nearly so, the failure of the insole to follow their outline fairly closely looks both ugly and absurd to my eyes.   (In the other direction, sandals with a sharply pointed (usually extended) toe can look equally absurd, for much the same reason.

The 'duck-bill' toe shape spoils these otherwise elegant sandals, as does the 'roach-killer' shape of the second pair:

Best square-toed sandals – Square toed sandals to wear in 2022        Midnight Clear Perspex Wrap Around Diamante Bow High Heel | Public Desire

At least with closed-toe footwear, one cannot be sure what lies within, and even a square(ish) toe can pass muster!   But I agree with those who consider an almond toe to be the most natural and flattering - it follows the foot outline fairly closely - but a pointed toe can look very elegant if not too exaggerated and unwieldy in overall length.

Agreed with you on both analysis of these footwear. Elegant, classy but yet not a beautiful shoe for me. I would never buy any of these pairs as they are. Personnaly, I'd cut the excedent in both pairs.

7 hours ago, Puffer said:

Best square-toed sandals – Square toed sandals to wear in 2022       

I do agree with you on this picture. Perhaps it’s the design of this particular shoe, or the models feet, but I do think it’s exaggerated because of how far back the the toes sit?

I do own a pair of sandals not wholly dissimilar to the ones above but my toes do seem to follow the contours a little better and fill up some of that dead space. But then again that might just be my misshapen feet in a smaller shoe 😂

9 hours ago, Puffer said:

Completely agree! I did try out the square-toe style, but it just repulsed me. And see-through toe-space, not my thing...

• 2 weeks later...

New 13cm pencil stilettos. Love these shoes. They are actually very stable after several days of rough wear trying to test the heels. Pleased to report they past the test.

The manufacturer agreed to make a couple colors not in their catalog for me so I'll be getting them in tan and red wine as well as white.

20230523_073034.jpg

20230523_073100.jpg

20230523_073122.jpg

20230523_073138.jpg

• Like 6

Joe, those are amazing! I really love the unique heel and the pointy toes. So glad they passed your test. But would you include them in the "nice for all day wear" category? I need more of that type.

• Like 2

They are, provided it's an up and down day. I wouldn't be able to walk or stand 8 hrs in these in all honesty. 

These are a hot trend on alliexpress right now. They are obviously Chinese which is why I pushed the heels hard before plunging into more colors.

Once the heel tap is worn I'll insert a cap screw tap for replacement. They'll be very loud of course but won't require constant replacement. Besides, who doesn't want to be seen and heard anyway. 

I will be honest, I am reserving judgment on these until further notice. I don't love them right off the bat, but I don't hate them, either. The fact that there is absolutely no curviness to the heel, and that the top of it doesn't line up with the back of the shoe is a little off-putting to me. But you never know, I've changed my mind before.

I am still trying to determine how they attached the heel to that plate, and then how they attached the plate to the shoe. Obviously, they couldn't run pointed screws down from the top like they do with a normal heel.

• Like 1

I think these are riveted to the shank plate. I won't know for sure without destroying them. Eventually they'll wear out and I'll tear them apart. 

They aren't for everyone, and I too love hourglass heels. They are however centered, i.e. not straight down from the back and I really love the metal spikes stilleto design. 

I do love the height, the actual shoe shape is very traditional and the assymetric Mary Jane straps are a sexy addition. They are also functional as the shoes are zero slip while walking. 

If we're focussing solely on the heel, then I don't think they would be my first choice as they don't have that harmony with the rest of the shoe, they seem a bit alien, although I wouldn't turn them away if given a pair.

On the other hand, as a package I think the height and the rest of the shoe makes enough of a visual impact that it's not obvious or a problem. Could easily make it in to my closet.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ohnoberty said:

If we're focussing solely on the heel, then I don't think they would be my first choice as they don't have that harmony with the rest of the shoe, they seem a bit alien, although I wouldn't turn them away if given a pair.

On the other hand, as a package I think the height and the rest of the shoe makes enough of a visual impact that it's not obvious or a problem. Could easily make it in to my closet.

Yes, a sound analysis.   And Joe might agree that the shoe design and construction is what one might expect from an engineer who had been told 'Make a pair of shoes with very high and thin heels.'.