Work and Heels

Jkrenzer

On 9/25/2022 at 5:02 PM, highbootsluv said:

I visit many building sites with my work…not sure I would get away with wearing this outfit!

6CB885A9-CE37-42F2-A0DA-24B94E0334BF.thumb.jpeg.3711d78ed823c986a5851489fa46dd10.jpeg

No indeed - the hi-viz jacket would be totally inappropriate.  😁

Edited by Puffer

I put this in this topic because I am at work this morning with these on.

Anyway, I wanted to discuss platforms. I personally am not a fan since I find them to generally be clumpy and ungainly. I do have a few though but rarely find myself wearing them, well except these. These are Steve Madden Darrt pumps. They have about a 3/8" internal hidden platform. Best disguise I've ever seen. The soles are a bit stiff but still flexible just enough to walk in without the rolling effect of higher platforms. 

This style has been gone for a while now, but I wouldn't mind seeing it come back.

20220930_074942_resized.jpg

• Like 5

Yes, you’d never guess there was a platform there. Like you, I dislike platforms and for the same reasons - too clumpy. I wear exclusively boots myself and the boots one sees with platforms usually take ugliness to an extreme degree!

with the chillier weather we’ve been having lately - especially this morning - I am quite happy to be wearing my heavy suede OTK boots to work. One of the joys of being a freelance us that one can declare heels and OTK boots to be an integral part of the office dress code.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Yes, you’d never guess there was a platform there. Like you, I dislike platforms and for the same reasons - too clumpy. I wear exclusively boots myself and the boots one sees with platforms usually take ugliness to an extreme degree!

with the chillier weather we’ve been having lately - especially this morning - I am quite happy to be wearing my heavy suede OTK boots to work. One of the joys of being a freelance us that one can declare heels and OTK boots to be an integral part of the office dress code.

I'm with you, not into platforms, but those are well hidden for sure!  Lately, I have seen some nice ankle boots from ASOS, they keep popping up online here!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

I put this in this topic because I am at work this morning with these on.

Anyway, I wanted to discuss platforms. I personally am not a fan since I find them to generally be clumpy and ungainly. I do have a few though but rarely find myself wearing them, well except these. These are Steve Madden Darrt pumps. They have about a 3/8" internal hidden platform. Best disguise I've ever seen. The soles are a bit stiff but still flexible just enough to walk in without the rolling effect of higher platforms. 

This style has been gone for a while now, but I wouldn't mind seeing it come back.

20220930_074942_resized.jpg

I am more visceral than you folks. I really hate the look, weight and feel of platform high heels.

But these blue pumps while clearly well worn are very attractive high heels. The platform is so well disguised and likely makes them very comfortable for extended walking.

That's the beauty of wearing heels at work, so many different pairs I can (and have) wear, but so few days on-site this year.

I don't discriminate, I wear both single sole and platforms.

There was a shoe related incident at my office that involved a lady wearing slide type shoes, she tripped over a flooring transition fell into a desk, requiring a trip to the emergency room. We are no longer allowed to wear any shoe that lacks full heel backing or straps into the office. I dislike those styles anyway but I am concerned that the safety goodie two-shoes in the building may ban high heels. This office is the only place where women regularly wear high heels in my daily affairs. I have not worn heels to the office outside of a couple of covert wearings, but I do like having the option to do so if I some day wish it...

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:11 PM, Shyheels said:

Yes working from home has brought a lot of changes. I used to love all the travel that came with my work, now I am quite happy to be home. I think a lot of people are

People still work from home? My employer still allows it, the university I work at is more catholic then the pope in that regard, but he still wants me to be in the office 50% of the time and most people are back at their workplace fulltime. And whenever I am in traffic in rush hour it's worse then before covid.

17 hours ago, chesterx said:

There was a shoe related incident at my office that involved a lady wearing slide type shoes, she tripped over a flooring transition fell into a desk, requiring a trip to the emergency room. We are no longer allowed to wear any shoe that lacks full heel backing or straps into the office. I dislike those styles anyway but I am concerned that the safety goodie two-shoes in the building may ban high heels. This office is the only place where women regularly wear high heels in my daily affairs. I have not worn heels to the office outside of a couple of covert wearings, but I do like having the option to do so if I some day wish it...

That is disappointing to hear. It is difficult to know from the description exactly what caused that accident, but I can say from my vast experience with mules (slides) that it's not quite so simple as having a back strap or not. It sounds like from this policy that your traditional Birkenstocks would be banned as well? Other than toe protection, how can you get any sturdier or more stable than that?

There are basically two types of mules: Flappy ones, and non-flappy ones. I prefer the flappy ones because I love that sound and look, but actually wear the non-flappy ones 90% of the time because of reality. I don't know what is going on with this policy, but it sounds like it's not really solving any problem that actually exists.

53 minutes ago, Chorlini said:

People still work from home? My employer still allows it, the university I work at is more catholic then the pope in that regard, but he still wants me to be in the office 50% of the time and most people are back at their workplace fulltime. And whenever I am in traffic in rush hour it's worse then before covid.

I am a freelance and worked from home before Covid as well, unless I was on the road in an assignment. Nowadays I am quite happy to stay home. I get around on my bicycle (running errands) and have certainly noticed an increase in traffic post Covid, as well as a pronounced increase in the level of aggression on the roads. 

• Like 1

Not strictly work related, but sort of kind of. Our church is in the midst of going through a remodel, the first since the building was built in 1957, and we must hold services elsewhere for a few weeks while this work is happening. Naturally, a couple of days after the work had started, I wanted to poke my head in there and see what was going on, and the answer was not nothing, but not much. However, the painters had their Sky Jack 3219 in there, and, having spent much of my career on one of these machines, I couldn't resist taking it for a spin. After all, they DID leave the keys in it. I figured I'd never be able to see the sanctuary from that viewpoint ever again, and I'd never again operate a scissor lift wearing high heeled sandals!

SkyJack.jpg

SkyJackView.jpg

SkyJackShoes.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I figured I'd never be able to see the sanctuary from that viewpoint ever again, and I'd never again operate a scissor lift wearing high heeled sandals!

Nearer, my God, to Thee
Nearer to Thee
E'en though it be a Sky Jack
That raiseth me

I see that heavy jumpers are being promoted as a solution to chilly homes and offices amidst the heating/energy crisis this winter. Seems to me this is a great time for OTK boots to come into vogue - I've been getting some very, very good use out of mine lately! Wouldn't be without them! 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2022 at 6:15 AM, Shyheels said:

I see that heavy jumpers are being promoted as a solution to chilly homes and offices amidst the heating/energy crisis this winter. Seems to me this is a great time for OTK boots to come into vogue - I've been getting some very, very good use out of mine lately! Wouldn't be without them! 

I think that OTK boots will absolutely be the go to uniform for this winter!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted. Nothings changed still heeling at the office, just pretty much what I have already shown.

Today I'm wearing a lighter color. Taupe or light beige are really one of my favorite color for heels.

20221214_074105_resized.jpg

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Been a while since I posted. Nothings changed still heeling at the office, just pretty much what I have already shown.

Today I'm wearing a lighter color. Taupe or light beige are really one of my favorite color for heels.

20221214_074105_resized.jpg

Yup, I get it. I have been on a buying spree for shoes in this color range for about a year. I never thought I could wear anything but black (or possibly dark brown) in the past, but I have been liberalized as of late. Glad to see we can share in the love of this shade!

I've always gone for black, dark brown or dark grey suede for my boots, although a part of me fancies the idea of buying a pair of white leather knee boots - not unlike the pair of go-go boots I originally fancied all those decades ago. Perhaps someday... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Cali said:

@Shyheels, Go get those white Go-Go boots.  You only live once, enjoy it, especially in those white boots.

I’m really tempted - it would be very satisfying. I’d love to find something that was nicely made, of buttery soft leather, with the chic look and style that evoked what it was I liked about go-go boots c.1970.

A couple times I’ve looked around to see what was available but all I could find were costume boots, cheap and plasticky. Alas…

• Haha 1