Spinal Issues

Henri1942

As you all know, I have been having issues lately and have curtailed heel wearing.  Well, I got the sad news yesterday.  My disc fusion from 2017 is losing it's effect and the other discs are suffering.  

Reader's Digest version is I am going under the knife next Wednesday for extensive repair.  I will be placed into a spinal cage for at least 5 vertebrae.  I don't know what recovery will be or how long.  I will be living my heeling life thru your comments.   I will keep the Group posted.  

For now I will continue to read the various posts.  

O'revoir mes Amis.

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Henri1942 said:

As you all know, I have been having issues lately and have curtailed heel wearing.  Well, I got the sad news yesterday.  My disc fusion from 2017 is losing it's effect and the other discs are suffering.  

Reader's Digest version is I am going under the knife next Wednesday for extensive repair.  I will be placed into a spinal cage for at least 5 vertebrae.  I don't know what recovery will be or how long.  I will be living my heeling life thru your comments.   I will keep the Group posted.  

For now I will continue to read the various posts.  

O'revoir mes Amis.

Hope everything goes better then expected   Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Keep us posted on your recovery!!

CAT 

4 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Sorry to hear this, goid luck and hope your recovery is quick.

Courious, did your doctor comment on causes? Heeling or anything like that.

I don't think many Doctors are fans of high heeled shoes. I have a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon and she teases (warns) me constantly about the stiletto heels I always wear.

I called her when I read Henri's predicament and he confirmed that spinal fusions are avoided as much as possible because it does ultimately lead to stress on the adjacent discs. I did not mention that Henri loves to wear high heeled shoes but she did suggest that specific exercises to keep the tummy muscles strong was the best activity to reduce strain on the back.

Best wishes Henri.

I understand your issues about the surgery, Henri. My mother has had the same issues, and has had to have similar surgery twice, and I think for the same reason. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All.  Just wanted to give an update.  First surgery was 5/3/2022.  It was enlarging the nerve paths to the legs.  Two days later the disk actually collapsed.  This increased the pain level.  Second surgery was 5/18.  They inserted devices starting at the pelvis and up the spine to just below waist level.  Then wrapped the spine in a type of plastic/nylon/silicon/? mesh and screwed everything in place. Today was my post-op visit to have 29 staples removed and meeting with the surgeon.  One of his most difficult procedures.

In just 2 weeks; I am walking without support devices and almost normal.  Surgery was described as a success.  I have not tried HEELS yet and probably won't for at least a few months.  98% of the leg pain is gone at this time.  Still have surgical site pain but that is expected to go away as the healing progresses.

Thank You all for your good wishes.  Will let you all know when I put on my Jessica Simpson heels. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Henri1942 said:

Hello All.  Just wanted to give an update.  First surgery was 5/3/2022.  It was enlarging the nerve paths to the legs.  Two days later the disk actually collapsed.  This increased the pain level.  Second surgery was 5/18.  They inserted devices starting at the pelvis and up the spine to just below waist level.  Then wrapped the spine in a type of plastic/nylon/silicon/? mesh and screwed everything in place. Today was my post-op visit to have 29 staples removed and meeting with the surgeon.  One of his most difficult procedures.

In just 2 weeks; I am walking without support devices and almost normal.  Surgery was described as a success.  I have not tried HEELS yet and probably won't for at least a few months.  98% of the leg pain is gone at this time.  Still have surgical site pain but that is expected to go away as the healing progresses.

Thank You all for yur good wishes.  Will let you all know when I put on my Jessica Simpson heels. 

Great news indeed Henri!  You have been through alot, don't rush anything, including heels, we will still be here to see you when you are completely "heeled up".  

• Thanks 1