Who Has Bought Some New SANDALS?

SF

There currently exists a category for shoes and boots but none for sandals.  For those of us who prefer sandals (like me) there now is a forum to show off your new sandals to the world, or at least that part of the world that is here at HHPLACE!  

I will begin by presenting two pair of sandals that I acquired last month.  The thong style is from Nine West, Popi, size 11.  Love the ankle strap and see thru upper.  The strappy sandals are from Marmi Shoes (my fav shoe store btw), VanEli, Morel, size 12.  These are truly all day sandals and I really like them as well.  The pedicure is courtesy of Caesars Spa, Las Vegas.  

It's spring, and summer is coming, time to get those sandals out for those of us who enjoy that style of heel!  Have fun...  sf

image.thumb.jpeg.e4056e5e51a415863730892d0a16c188.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.18efba57e5c31a1efde22646ebc388b0.jpeg

• Like 3

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I have no idea why I didn't think of this years ago, I guess I'm just not that creative. I've been posting sandals in the "New Shoes" thread for years without thinking about it. I think you and I are probably the biggest sandal ambassadors on the site, and now that you have created this thread, I haven't anything to put on it! I have promised myself no new shoes for several months, so I might have to do some recycles, or perhaps some other creative thing instead. Perhaps a picture of an entire outfit WITH the sandals instead just the shoes by themselves, something like that. See you on the flipside!

• Like 1

Well "new" is relative thing.  Plus we have no idea when sandals were actually acquired.  So go ahead, post up some pictures of "relatively" new sandals.  

Holy heck, I may actually post some pics of "old" sandals, I have quite a few and some are very stylish.  

And yes, I have always preferred sandals - flats and heels - over closed toe shoes.  Just more comfortable and stylish, to me at least.  

Smile...   sf

OK, I'm gonna do it.  Here is a pic of my first pair of heeled sandals that I bought wayyy back in 1995.  I actually still have this pair, well worn and tattered, but many fine memories with these "old" sandals.  Love the kitten heel too!!  I remember the first time I wore them out, was nerve wracking.  But I survived!  sf

IMG_8142.jpg

OK, task accepted! These are NOT new by any stretch of the imagination, nor are they my oldest pair. Nor are they my most durable pair--just yet. I'm trying to get them there, though. They may be my most talked about and celebrated pair, however, my BCBGirls "Bonny" sandals. Just about the best walking shoes you could ever want, even though you'd never believe it by looking at them. This particular pair has gone 85 miles so far, and is strictly for walking, as their appearance has suffered in several ways, and they are not really suitable for public display. You may observe that the rest of my outfit is equally as casual, as I have just returned from my morning constitutional. I have 3 replacement pairs waiting in the wings.

BonnyWalking1.jpg

BonnyWalking2.jpg

• Like 2

I too have often wondered why there was not a 'new sandals' thread.   

The problem might well be definition - here we go again!!    What is a sandal, as compared with a shoe?   Open toe/open side shoes are not sandals, but add an open back or sling back and they almost certainly become sandals, at least in common parlance.

It's no good looking at newspapers or fashion magazines.   There is no consistency in terminology at all, with many obviously sandal styles being described as shoes.

I'm not looking for a debate here - but on the other hand ...

• Like 1

Ha ha.....   Well I was hoping to avoid that, but knew that the subject would eventually present itself.  Everyone has their own opinion, so let your imagination, conscience, and common sense be your guide.  

It's your world, live it as you see fit, in a lot of ways it's mo bettah that way.  

Heck, I won't even attempt to define what is a sandal, but I know one when I see it - ha ha.  

I just like the sandal styles over "shoes" and "boots," whatever they are.  ha ha

Now lets talk about stilettos...   smile      sf

Now that I have time to think about this, I definitely have my own opinions about what constitutes a sandal. For one thing, it has to show toes. The phrase, "open-toed sandal" is redundant to me. There are several examples that would like to prove me wrong, but I am entitled to my opinion. However, if some entity could actually throw me in jail because of that opinion, I will recant. I'm not THAT principled.

You guys are so lucky to be able to wear sandals in public. It's closed toes for me only, even for men's shoes. My toenails are so hideous they have been declared super fund sites.

3 hours ago, 5150PLB1 said:

You guys are so lucky to be able to wear sandals in public. It's closed toes for me only, even for men's shoes. My toenails are so hideous they have been declared super fund sites.

Stop being envious and do something about it. Toenail problems can indicate other issues. Take care of your health, you want to wear high heels for as long as you can.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:46 AM, mlroseplant said:

Now that I have time to think about this, I definitely have my own opinions about what constitutes a sandal. For one thing, it has to show toes. The phrase, "open-toed sandal" is redundant to me. There are several examples that would like to prove me wrong, but I am entitled to my opinion. However, if some entity could actually throw me in jail because of that opinion, I will recant. I'm not THAT principled.

Yes, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I tend to agree that a 'sandal' ought to show toes - and properly too.    But as, by definition, a sandal would generally be considered as nothing more than a light shoe with piercings or openings (not necessarily revealing toes or heel), I don't think you can be right.   

Below are examples of closed-toe sandals.   That on the left is a man's 'fisherman' style; OK for walking but hardly attractive imho; not one I would wear.   On the right are the sort of traditional children's sandals that are still (just about) seen in the UK.   Well, I suppose that one might just catch a glimpse of toe-upper in some of these but I rest my case.

image.thumb.png.159162589d45cc191389f17b74e1c2d3.png                                   image.thumb.png.d1bdf75f5307e0cbf0d99e206058d9df.png

And I now suppose that we need to consider the status of mules and slides.   In my book, a mule is well-recognised historically as any item of backless footwear, but if also open at the front it will (also) be a sandal.   A slide (which seems to be a newish and superfluous term) is seemingly an open-toed mule, usually but not always with a single strap - so is also a sandal.   And a flip-flop (or thong, to some) is a slide that has a toe post.   So, I wonder what we should call these 'sandals' (which I have heard described as 'toe-wrap'):   

image.png.96a425f35cef06e8d865c74f1e62881b.png

18 hours ago, Cali said:

So @Puffer are these sandals? Open toe perforated (with a back) or the open-toed backless mules.

How about these?

They would all appear to be sandals by Melrose's definition or by my wider one.   I'm surprised you have to ask.

Some people might regard your second pair as peep-toe shoes, given that they are not very 'open', but in my view they are a variety of sandal. 

But this is where it starts to get interesting - or difficult:

Clearly a slingback shoe (court/pump):    

image.png.2fc4a0a5ca716f44d2af1ace60edc524.png

Clearly a peeptoe shoe (court/pump): image.thumb.png.e91ad12c6ffee59a3d891cdb51082ce1.png

But put the two components together and you have what most would call a sandal: 

image.png.b1b5bf00862c57ab2edcc84a3b23e6bc.png                                                                     

Edited by Puffer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

They would all appear to be sandals by Melrose's definition or by my wider one.   I'm surprised you have to ask.

Some people might regard your second pair as peep-toe shoes, given that they are not very 'open', but in my view they are a variety of sandal. 

But this is where it starts to get interesting - or difficult:

Clearly a slingback shoe (court/pump):    

image.png.2fc4a0a5ca716f44d2af1ace60edc524.png

Clearly a peeptoe shoe (court/pump): image.thumb.png.e91ad12c6ffee59a3d891cdb51082ce1.png

But put the two components together and you have what most would call a sandal: 

image.png.b1b5bf00862c57ab2edcc84a3b23e6bc.png                                                                     

I would tend to agree--Cali's first example is clearly a sandal, and the second one is wishing it were a sandal.

As to your instant example, yeah, that's right, that's sort of how we think of it. Funny, isn't it? Now take it a step further with the close toed slingback, and eliminate the sling, making it a mule. Not a terribly popular style, but it had its moments in the early 2000s in my area. But, is it a sandal? Despite the fact that probably 75% of the foot is uncovered, I would say no, and I can't tell you why. Evidently, mainstream culture would agree with me, because the main place I ever saw these "backless pumps" was in a formal office setting, being worn as substitutes for regular pumps. Much lower heeled versions, naturally, but evidently they were allowed at the office.

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Now take it a step further with the close toed slingback, and eliminate the sling, making it a mule. Not a terribly popular style, but it had its moments in the early 2000s in my area. But, is it a sandal? Despite the fact that probably 75% of the foot is uncovered, I would say no, and I can't tell you why.

If the vamp of a closed-toe mule (effectively a court/pump with the back removed!) is not perforated or otherwise fails to expose the foot/toes, it can hardly be a sandal by either your reckoning or mine.   Our views differ only to the extent that you consider an open toe to be essential on a sandal (if that is still your position); I don't.

11 hours ago, Puffer said:

If the vamp of a closed-toe mule (effectively a court/pump with the back removed!) is not perforated or otherwise fails to expose the foot/toes, it can hardly be a sandal by either your reckoning or mine.   Our views differ only to the extent that you consider an open toe to be essential on a sandal (if that is still your position); I don't.

Here is a model that is riding the cusp of sandalism or not. Maison Ernest puts this in with the sandals on their website, but does not actually call it a sandal. To me, it looks like an open toed pump from the outside, but a sandal from the inside. Kinda cool! Model name is Plaisir. It comes in both 10 and 12 cm flavors.

MaisonErnestOpenToe.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Here is a model that is riding the cusp of sandalism or not. Maison Ernest puts this in with the sandals on their website, but does not actually call it a sandal. To me, it looks like an open toed pump from the outside, but a sandal from the inside. Kinda cool! Model name is Plaisir. It comes in both 10 and 12 cm flavors.

I agree on all counts.   A very nice-looking open-toed court shoe.   In the press, or in catalogues/websites, I think that is how it would be described (i.e. NOT as a sandal), but the all-embracing term 'shoe' seems to be (mis)used for almost anything these days that is not clearly a boot.   There is certainly a thin dividing line between shoes and sandals, with heels irrelevant.

27 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

MaisonErnestOpenToe.jpg

You need to get yourself a pair buddy.

• Haha 1

To me those heels are sandals.  I like the anklet look as well.  Let the debate carry on...   smile...  sf

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

MaisonErnestOpenToe.jpg

Love these

23 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

You need to get yourself a pair buddy.

Even if my income were much higher than it is now, I'm not sure I could ever stomach the price of entry, which is in the $400-450 range. Much more reasonable that Louboutins (and I understand the quality is every bit as good), but still a lot of money.

Which brings us to another subject about sandals, and that is, they are not generally intended to be a particularly durable shoe. I mean, you don't keep sandals for 20 years (I know there are exceptions). Sandals generally last for a few seasons at best, and usually less than that. I can't imagine why somebody would pay hundred of dollars for designer flip flops that will hit the trash can in such a short time.

On 5/10/2022 at 5:58 AM, mlroseplant said:

MaisonErnestOpenToe.jpg

I like these alot no matter what people choose to call them.  They are pricey though.

• Like 1

Here is something that is far less attractive than the Maison Ernest pump/sandal, but was far cheaper, and far more practical. I picked up these BCBGeneration "Quintin" thong wedges some time ago, but have not actually worn them out until two days ago. They feature a 4 1/8" heel with a 1 1/8" platform. Which means, they're squarely a mid heel in terms of steepness, which is fine for many purposes, including hawking egg rolls at the farmer's market, which is where I wore them two days ago. Also fine for such purposes is the damage on the back of the right heel, which allowed me to pick them up for less than 10 USD. I have not attempted to repair the damage yet, and would welcome any suggestions you might have about methods. They are fake patent leather bottoms with canvas straps.

Despite being my correct size, 8 1/2, and BCBG being a brand I am familiar with, the straps are slightly too loose, allowing my feet to slide forward despite the thong toe. To correct this, I installed some ball of foot cushions to take up some room. This works well as far as fitment goes, but I am convinced, after standing in these for five hours, that these comfort aids which so many so-called experts say are 100% necessary, actually make comfort worse. If not for the fitment issues, I would take those cushions out, and I think the shoes would be much better. However, it appears that I cannot have my cake and eat it too, so I don't know whether these will be keepers or not. That and the fact that they've got that big scar in the back. I think the reason that I haven't gotten rid of them is because of the thong design. I am still looking for the perfect pair of thong high heels, and I haven't found it yet. Actually, I did find it, but sadly, it because too ratty to wear in public, and is gone. Anyway, I'm down to two pair now, and both of them have their issues with fit.

In case anybody is interested, I received zero comments, and as far as I can tell, zero looks. Well, zero obvious looks, anyway. We'll see what next week brings.

BCBGThongwedgesTop.JPG

BCBGThongwedgesDamage.JPG

Edited by mlroseplant
Clarity
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I have not attempted to repair the damage yet, and would welcome any suggestions you might have about methods. They are fake patent leather bottoms with canvas straps.

BCBGThongwedgesDamage.JPG

Depending upon the degree of gloss, I can only suggest a suitable oil-based paint might cover the scratches.   You could try a black spirit marker if you just want to eliminate the light-coloured marks.   Either way, I doubt that much of the damage would remain obvious.

Going back to your recent comments about closed-toe mules, my eldest stepson's wife was wearing these Jimmy Choos today as she set off for a friend's wedding.   I think she wore them for her own wedding in February - but, if so, they were totally hidden under her long dress - which rather defeated the object!   A very thin 4" heel and a sharp toe.   Elegant, although I think an open toe and/or a thin slingback would be better (and she is a regular sandal wearer).   She is neither a wealthy woman nor a spendthrift fashionista and I can't help thinking that the money apparently spent (at least £600 in the UK!) could have been put to better use, including to buy several pairs of stylish shoes and sandals of good quality.

Choo.thumb.jpg.7ba01407c362de10ad200b0496490834.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty shoes (uh, mules) but honestly I don't really care for the "pointy" toe look.  But nice, nonetheless.  sf

Well, these sandals aren't new, they are "vintage," I had them several years ago.  I really liked these sandals but sadly they did not work out.  I don't remember the brand or style, I got them from Zappos, and they weren't cheap.  On the first wearing they began to come apart.  Both the sole and insole began to separate.  I was really disappointed because I really like the style of the sandal and had hoped to get some use from them.  Fortunately Zappos took them back with a full refund.  I still miss these shoes, but like a city bus, more have come along since then so all was not lost.  smile...   sf

IMG_6348.jpg

I have some actual new sandals to show. This is one of those things that came up in my feed on Poshmark, and I had to look them up, as I had never seen this model before. They are a Nine West product, and they are called "How Rude." Who comes up with these names, anyway? In doing very brief research, they evidently came in at least four different colors, this particular example is a combination of silver, yellow gold, and rose gold, a classic combination. The only thing that is slightly rude about them is that they're made out of plastic. However, I have come round to accept plastic shoes for occasional wear, though I would prefer leather.

The numbers on these are size 8 1/2, 4 5/8 inch heel with just a whisper of a platform, giving a 4 1/4 to 4 3/8 inch rise, something like that. Because of the design of the footbed, it's difficult to get an exact measurement, but you get the idea. The diameter of the heel is 5/16 inch, so quite skinny. I feel like the heel is curved the proper amount, i.e., it's not a setback heel. Therefore, I can only guess that this model must be a number of years old. I don't think Nine West has made a heel this high and thin for several years (not counting some of these huge platforms they're offering currently).

Comfort is OK. I wore them for about 3 hours a few days ago, and they were OK. Not the first pair I'd reach for if I were going to Disneyland, but quite acceptable for the length of time I had them on. They seem solid, with no obvious defects or design flaws to prevent graceful walking.

NWHowRudeSide.jpg

NWHowRudeTop.jpg

NWHowRudeWorn.jpg

• Like 5

Hello.

I just received these beauties. Green leather, dark brown wood. Are they sandals? 

image.thumb.jpeg.571f6ee63c5c26238db90a4111df71c9.jpeg

I'm thinking of giving it a darker tone, almost black, but still green and brown.
Keep or go to the dark side?

Or better, buy theese other too? Sandals or no?

image.thumb.jpeg.f89bc682db6f167c11125e41e7b71867.jpeg

• Like 3