Wearing heels medically

bambam

I know a couple guys here wear heels for orthopedic reasons, or at least count that among one of the reasons for heels in their life, and I seem to have found myself in a similar situation. I have started developing plantar Fasciitis, and when I wear heels, anything above 3 inches, I feel TONS BETTER. It really has been strange, and since I'm still bartending, at a nice hotel no less, I am trying to find a way to have a high heel situation, but in a way that nobody can see or notice, as it really isn't a place wear I would like to deal with the response. Any tips? I have tried regular shoes with an insert, but the couple brands I have tried have no rigidity, which deafens the purpose in my opinion. 

Doesn't seem like the insert method is going to help you much.  Are you sure you couldn't pull off some of the styles from "onlymaker" that are cowboy style with a higher block heel?  Seems like you spend most of your time behind the bar, so not many customers will have the chance to see what shoes you are wearing...

It was very obvious, easy for me.  I had a significant injury and spent two 3+ week stays in hospitals. Two major operations and around 19 months before I returned to minimal work.  Years later I had another injury and spent 5+ months on a knee scooter.  I had to raise my heels 4 inches for my injury to heal.  During which time I found that wearing heels resulted in a major reduction in the pain in my hip and rest is history.  

Now for a funny possible fix to plantar fasciitis.  A friend had it bad and someone taped the bottom of his feet with duct tape.  Yes, duct tape.  Changed it once or twice a week and his plantar fasciitis went away.

8 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Doesn't seem like the insert method is going to help you much.  Are you sure you couldn't pull off some of the styles from "onlymaker" that are cowboy style with a higher block heel?  Seems like you spend most of your time behind the bar, so not many customers will have the chance to see what shoes you are wearing...

Yeah, I tried them inserts once, they suck rocks. @bambam, there is the cowboy boot thing or the wedge sneaker thing. I do not know if you wish to pursue either of these avenues.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Yeah, I tried them inserts once, they suck rocks. @bambam, there is the cowboy boot thing or the wedge sneaker thing. I do not know if you wish to pursue either of these avenues.

Great idea, forgot about the Nike sky high dunks or the Adidas promodel wedge styles

10 hours ago, bambam said:

I have started developing plantar Fasciitis, and when I wear heels, anything above 3 inches, I feel TONS BETTER. It really has been strange, and since I'm still bartending, at a nice hotel no less, I am trying to find a way to have a high heel situation, but in a way that nobody can see or notice, as it really isn't a place wear I would like to deal with the response. Any tips?

It’s 2022, I think you can just wear the heels and not worry about it.  If you are serving my drink at a nice hotel wearing heels I’m pretty sure I’d leave a bigger tip ;)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, p1ng74 said:

It’s 2022, I think you can just wear the heels and not worry about it.  If you are serving my drink at a nice hotel wearing heels I’m pretty sure I’d leave a bigger tip ;)

So true.  Adding some nail polish will get positive reactions from everyone as well.  I was surprised at how many men and women complimented my coworker's nails on the plane last week.  Admittedly, he did a good job, picked a nice color, and looked great.  But, on the other hand, I understand Bam Bam's apprehension especially in a hotel bar.  He may get plenty of attention for sure, but most of it might be unwanted.  

• Like 1

I would love to wear high heels at work, but the sort of industry I am in really doesn't allow that, only executive women for the most part. Would be cool to see it relax, but I doubt it. Looking at "hidden" wedge shoes as I type...

5 hours ago, bambam said:

I would love to wear high heels at work, but the sort of industry I am in really doesn't allow that, only executive women for the most part. Would be cool to see it relax, but I doubt it. Looking at "hidden" wedge shoes as I type...

Look at the adidas:

Adidas Superstar Up Wedge FW0118 Women's Shoes Cloud White-Core Black | eBay

and the nikes:

NIKE Women 10 Dunk Sky Hi Wedge Sneakers 528899 011 Wolf Gray White Black | eBay

Let me know what you think...Don

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pebblesf said:

So true.  Adding some nail polish will get positive reactions from everyone as well.  I was surprised at how many men and women complimented my coworker's nails on the plane last week.  Admittedly, he did a good job, picked a nice color, and looked great.  But, on the other hand, I understand Bam Bam's apprehension especially in a hotel bar.  He may get plenty of attention for sure, but most of it might be unwanted.  

Now I am truly curious about the state of the world. So AA was fine with your male coworker having nail polish? What do you think would happen if you showed up to your scheduled flight in a noticeable heel? I mean, you'd have your flat shoes to work the flight, just like the gals do, but what would happen if you just showed up one day like that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Now I am truly curious about the state of the world. So AA was fine with your male coworker having nail polish? What do you think would happen if you showed up to your scheduled flight in a noticeable heel? I mean, you'd have your flat shoes to work the flight, just like the gals do, but what would happen if you just showed up one day like that?

Yeah, AA was fine with my coworker's nail polish.  Well maybe there is a rule somewhere that prohibits it, but none of the managers would want to try to enforce it.  What, with the state of this country, management probably fears they would be sued for some crazy reason.  To be fair, my coworker was a nice looking, well kept individual, "AA's dream" in terms of appearance, the type of employee that they would consider using for pictures of safety videos.  In my view, management would be foolish to harass him about his "appearance standards".   His appearance was not disruptive, nor would it make anyone (well most anyway) feel uncomfortable or offended in any way. and polished nails (just regular nails/not long/no stick ons) surely posed no safety risk or hindered  him from performing safety related duties.  In other words, my coworker was able to "pull off" the polished nails without creating a stir.  Sure, I'm sure a few passengers had something negative to say to themselves, but most (even men) offered compliments.  

Now I'm sure management would say something to me if I showed up in 4.5" stiletto boots, even if I had another pair of shoes for working on the plane.  The boots coupled with relatively "sterile" uniform would certainly create quite a stir with the passengers.  Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the rules say that even my mild cowboy boots are not allowed.  I've been around too long, so management isn't going to make a fuss about nice looking plain black cowboy boots.   The company would certainly stick to the safety aspect of 4.5" boots, claiming they posed a safety risk even if just worn in the terminal/operations.  Don't know what would happen if I showed up in a tamer pair of 3" block heeled boots, the company would probably just go out of their way to make sure I changed my shoes on the plane, and then it would become a non issue.  Keep in mind that the women are expected to bring two pairs of shoes to work.  One pair of relatively mild stiletto pumps for walking in the terminal, then switch out to flats on the plane, this rule is rarely followed.  Most women that wear nice stiletto pumps keep them on inflight, the rest just wear milder heels/flats to work so no change is required.  

Edited by pebblesf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 9:36 PM, bambam said:

I know a couple guys here wear heels for orthopedic reasons, or at least count that among one of the reasons for heels in their life, and I seem to have found myself in a similar situation. I have started developing plantar Fasciitis, and when I wear heels, anything above 3 inches, I feel TONS BETTER. It really has been strange, and since I'm still bartending, at a nice hotel no less, I am trying to find a way to have a high heel situation, but in a way that nobody can see or notice, as it really isn't a place wear I would like to deal with the response. Any tips? I have tried regular shoes with an insert, but the couple brands I have tried have no rigidity, which deafens the purpose in my opinion. 

There are many styles of woman's booties that will have a block heel in the 3" range. I have a couple pair I wear all the time.

My ex-wife used to do only one pair of shoes. She would get block heeled pumps in the 1 1/2 - 2 inch range, which seemed to satisfy everyone in both the terminal and the plane. Except for the one time she wore 3 1/2" stilettos to work, but she did that for my benefit. I am quite certain she did not work the flight in those shoes. They seemed insanely high back in the mid 90s, but I'm sure they'd seem pretty tame now. Thanks for your answer @pebblesf

• Like 1

Hello, 

Bambam. I don't know if I am not too late but I can recommend trying some chinese shops and search for high heel boots for men. They sometimes do sell "Men social shoes with heels even like 8 - 9 cm high.
I don't know if you would like them or no but that is how i started and also what i wore to dancing classes (if was a way to wear heels and looks "normal"). I know exactly what you mean by being unable to get normal heels and sadly I shared your pain untill a while ago when I changed my place of stay (on 4-month course now studying).

I personally use Wish. Can only say while it is a lower quality (tends to just be duration of the life or needing some small details fixed) it is definetly worth as a temporary solution to something longer lasting!

Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bambam said:

Ended up ordering a pair of the Nike hidden heel sneakers, and another pair that is similar to boring dress shoes with a similar heel. See how it goes...

Cool!  Can't wait to see some pictures, and hear how you like them.  I am pretty close to ordering a pair myself, might go for the adidas superstars though

Fortunately, I have healthy feet and legs and do not have to wear heels for "medical" reasons.  I simply wear heels because I like / want too!!  smile...   sf 

Edited by SF
minor typos
  • Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I have had back issues - quite serious ones that required emergency surgery some years ago - and I do find that 3” block heels help if I am experiencing back spasms. Shifts the center of balance slightly and eases the stress on the lower back 

• Like 2

My lower back hurts occasionally as well.  Funny, the more physical labor I do the more it hurts, hmmmm.  Maybe a connection?  Plus it didn't hurt 30 years ago?  Getting old ain't for sissies.  

I haven't noticed that wearing heels makes by back hurt less, but wearing heels jump starts my endorphins making me relaxed and happier that I already am, well most of the time.  smile...  Enjoy your heels, for whatever reason you wear them!!  sf

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SF said:

My lower back hurts occasionally as well.  Funny, the more physical labor I do the more it hurts, hmmmm.  Maybe a connection?  Plus it didn't hurt 30 years ago?  Getting old ain't for sissies.  

I haven't noticed that wearing heels makes by back hurt less, but wearing heels jump starts my endorphins making me relaxed and happier that I already am, well most of the time.  smile...  Enjoy your heels, for whatever reason you wear them!!  sf

Maybe you should try higher heels and see how it effects your back.  What can you lose (other than the pain)?

• Like 1

That looks like the exact opposite of what I was going for, but, still nice shoes. I already have a pair of Jeffrey Campbells that are that style, so probably gonna pass.

I got the Nike hidden heel sneakers, and they work, sort of, but are far too flashy for work, and the knock off pair, I can't get the insert to actually act like a heel, even lifts aren't really heels, they're too soft. Gonna keep the Nike sneakers, cuz I really like them, but it seems I am back to looking for a shoe with a hidden heel, that I can wear to a corporate 5 star hotel. Back to the search....

• Like 1

What shoes do you normally wear to work? You can, in fact, get those Dunks in plain ol' black, but perhaps sneakers at work are not allowed. I'm sure I said this somewhere before, only I can't find it now--it must've been in another thread--I've got 2 pairs of these things, and I never wear them anymore. They're just simply not high enough to bother with, for me. They served their intended purpose for one trip, one year. I will say that they are every bit as comfortable as regular sneakers, at least for a guy like me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bambam said:

That looks like the exact opposite of what I was going for, but, still nice shoes. I already have a pair of Jeffrey Campbells that are that style, so probably gonna pass.

I got the Nike hidden heel sneakers, and they work, sort of, but are far too flashy for work, and the knock off pair, I can't get the insert to actually act like a heel, even lifts aren't really heels, they're too soft. Gonna keep the Nike sneakers, cuz I really like them, but it seems I am back to looking for a shoe with a hidden heel, that I can wear to a corporate 5 star hotel. Back to the search....

How much of a hidden platform do the Nikes have do you think?  How about some of those "chelsea boots" for work?  Not much of a heel, but nice just the same.   Hope you will post some pictures.  D

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

What shoes do you normally wear to work? You can, in fact, get those Dunks in plain ol' black, but perhaps sneakers at work are not allowed. I'm sure I said this somewhere before, only I can't find it now--it must've been in another thread--I've got 2 pairs of these things, and I never wear them anymore. They're just simply not high enough to bother with, for me. They served their intended purpose for one trip, one year. I will say that they are every bit as comfortable as regular sneakers, at least for a guy like me.

Yes, Nike does make plain black sneaks in most of the conventional models:  AF1/Jordans, etc.  I have never seen a black pair with the wedge, but will keep looking. 

Edited by pebblesf
addition

8 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I've been wearing Danskos, and they have been working,  just not much fun, if you know what I mean.

The Nikes only have a 2 inch heel, which certainly helps, but they're just too gaudy for where I work. Honestly, the Danskos have helped with the Plantar pain, so, maybe those boring clogs will have to do, at least for a while.

I've not been here for a while, and just found this post. Now, I'm curious - are there any folks who have actually had a medical pro "prescribe" or even recommend wearing heels? I'm sort of recalling that some years ago someone popped up on these forums claiming that was the case, I don't recall the name nor recall seeing anything from him recently. Just wondering...

31 minutes ago, Logjam said:

I've not been here for a while, and just found this post. Now, I'm curious - are there any folks who have actually had a medical pro "prescribe" or even recommend wearing heels? I'm sort of recalling that some years ago someone popped up on these forums claiming that was the case, I don't recall the name nor recall seeing anything from him recently. Just wondering...

3.75 to 4.5 inch  is my sweet spot for pain reduction, so I wear heels all the time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bambam said:

I've been wearing Danskos, and they have been working,  just not much fun, if you know what I mean.

The Nikes only have a 2 inch heel, which certainly helps, but they're just too gaudy for where I work. Honestly, the Danskos have helped with the Plantar pain, so, maybe those boring clogs will have to do, at least for a while.

Here are the Dansko clogs I own, which are no lookers, but they are effectively about a 3 inch heel. The model name is Francine. I do not know if they're made anymore.

Danskosmall.jpg

I see a lot of folks in the medical profession (doctors, nurses, staff) wearing Dansko clogs.  I never had a pair, but they look nice and must be comfy.  sf 

On 4/26/2022 at 3:06 AM, mlroseplant said:

Here are the Dansko clogs I own, which are no lookers, but they are effectively about a 3 inch heel. The model name is Francine. I do not know if they're made anymore.

Danskosmall.jpg

Those are great! Probably still too high for work, but I would definitely wear them! Don't think they're made anymore tho...