Highest Walking Heels

mlroseplant

Every once in a while, I drag out this tired subject. Some people find this subject exciting, and some cannot figure out why it keeps being brought up. In the case of the latter, sf, bluejay, and Puffer would be the prime examples of "Why on earth do you care?" In reply to this, like the song says, "I Can't Tell You Why." I can already walk and live in heels way higher than anyone else that I personally know, why would I want to go higher? I could blame it on Instagram, which has the ability to create a fantasy world where many people, both men and women, wear 5 inch heels regularly, everywhere. We consciously know that this is not the case at all, but nevertheless, that aspiration remains, and all of these years later (I am within a month of celebrating 10 years of public heeling), I am stuck at essentially the same place--about 4 1/2", or in the neighborhood of 115 mm.

To be sure, there is no way I could walk in >4" shoes in the early years, at least not up to my standards of today. But I worked my way up within a few years, and my favorite heels tend to be in that 4 - 4 1/2 inch range of steepness. I have a very few pairs of shoes that fall outside this range on the high end, and obviously more than just a few that fall outside this range on the low end, for reasons of practicality. Still, I am stuck at this point with 4 1/2 being my high end. You will see a picture of three different styles of heels that meet this standard that I can actually walk in and wear in normal situations. Also pictured is me in a pair of shoes that I cannot yet wear in normal situations, Pleaser heels that measure 5+ inches, or right at 130 mm. They are beyond my capability, ever-so-slightly. Obviously, I can stand in them just fine, I just can't walk in a manner that I find acceptable for public consumption.

My question to you folks is, "How do I get there from here?" I have been trying to wear my steepest heels more often, and I can tell right away when things get stretched out and it becomes easy. It usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes after I get home from work, when making the transition from relative flats to 4 1/2" heels, to feel somewhat natural walking in the high shoes. I get the feeling that 90% of it is ankle flexibility. If I could just get that extra few degrees of ankle mobility, I think I could walk in those 5" shoes. What are your thoughts?

HighestWalkingHeels.jpg

5inchHeels.jpg

• Like 5

You look perfectly proportioned with 4.5" single soles, even 4.75".

My foot is larger and I rarely if ever wear less than 5". However, 5.24 is really my max everyday shoe height (single soles of course). Here are some of my more experienced heels by Pleaser although I really don't wear Pleaser all that much anymore.

A7.JPG

B7.JPG

• Like 7

When I started out 14cm or 5.5" was all that I could get in a fetish store in Amsterdam that I used to fine. So I learned to walk in them. Luckily, or probably not as I can't fit into more normal shoes then fetish shoes, my feet are large. Just larger then the biggest sizes you can find in normal shoe stores. So a larger 5.5" heel for my size EU43 feet feels probably like a 4"or 4.5" heel to people with smaller feet. 5 inches feel really comfortable to walk in for me, I could do it all day if I wanted too. Anything below 5" feels like comfy shoes to me, so of no interest to me. On the downside my ankle flexibility is terrible, so 6" is straining it and I never managed to straighten out my ankles in 7" or ballet heels, so I gave up on trying and playing with those.

• Like 2

I just can't seem to get over the 4.5" heel hurdle.  I can walk comfortably in 4.5" stiletto boots all day, but just can't make the jump to 5".  Sure, I can walk in 5" boots, just not comfortably for any distance.

49 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

I just can't seem to get over the 4.5" heel hurdle.  I can walk comfortably in 4.5" stiletto boots all day, but just can't make the jump to 5".  Sure, I can walk in 5" boots, just not comfortably for any distance.

As a suggestion, have you tried a 5 inch heel , with a 1 inch platform? That would guve u a foot arch of 4 inches. Also the foot doesnt arch any higher due to the platform. Personally i prefer concealed platforms as they tend to have a nicer look (in my opinion) and look more like a heel with no platform.

4 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

My foot is larger and I rarely if ever wear less than 5". However, 5.24 is really my max everyday shoe height (single soles of course). Here are some of my more experienced heels by Pleaser although I really don't wear Pleaser all that much anymore.

A7.JPG

B7.JPG

Excellent heels :)

About 5 inch heel non platform is my max height, any higher and i need a platform, then i can go up to about 6.5 inch and still walk naturally. I only have size 5 feet, so the arch is more pronounced on my feet with heels.

• Like 1

For me the heel high is more related to the surface I have to walk on. The comfort of the shoe itself isn’t a concern because I get quickly rid of any shoe that doesn’t fit. No time for suffering 

So it goes from 13 cm for long outside walks to 16,5 at home. My favorite height is 14,5/15 cm. No ( maybe one pair!) platform. 

As many,I never succeeded neither in wearing higher nor accepting ballet boots  

That’s for a EU 43/ US 12 W size. Of course 2 cm should be deducted for comparing to an average woman size. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pebblesf said:

I am not so much concerned about the comfort factor, I'm way more concerned about the Looking Like an Idiot factor. "Walk" is a verb which is not particularly tightly defined.

16 hours ago, NrthEastHeel said:

As a suggestion, have you tried a 5 inch heel , with a 1 inch platform? That would guve u a foot arch of 4 inches. Also the foot doesnt arch any higher due to the platform. Personally i prefer concealed platforms as they tend to have a nicer look (in my opinion) and look more like a heel with no platform.

About 5 inch heel non platform is my max height, any higher and i need a platform, then i can go up to about 6.5 inch and still walk naturally. I only have size 5 feet, so the arch is more pronounced on my feet with heels.

It just happens that I have a LOT of those! See example below. It used to be my preferred style, that is, 5 inch heel, 1 inch platform. What I'm after here, I believe, is the athletic challenge of going a little steeper than I have in the past.

Sizzle110mi.jpg

21 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

A7.JPG

B7.JPG

I especially like the ones with the contrasting toe cap.

• Like 2

For me, 3 in is my max.  I am too tall already, and I don't want to look to gigantic.  If I were shorter, I might try higher heels, but for me a 2 1/2 inch heel looks good on me and I will stay with that.  I just enjoy wearing heels (and occasionally flats), regardless of the height.  Have fun all....  smile...   sf

• Like 4

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

On 4/9/2022 at 8:46 AM, mlroseplant said:

Every once in a while, I drag out this tired subject. Some people find this subject exciting, and some cannot figure out why it keeps being brought up. In the case of the latter, sf, bluejay, and Puffer would be the prime examples of "Why on earth do you care?" In reply to this, like the song says, "I Can't Tell You Why." I can already walk and live in heels way higher than anyone else that I personally know, why would I want to go higher? I could blame it on Instagram, which has the ability to create a fantasy world where many people, both men and women, wear 5 inch heels regularly, everywhere. We consciously know that this is not the case at all, but nevertheless, that aspiration remains, and all of these years later (I am within a month of celebrating 10 years of public heeling), I am stuck at essentially the same place--about 4 1/2", or in the neighborhood of 115 mm.

To be sure, there is no way I could walk in >4" shoes in the early years, at least not up to my standards of today. But I worked my way up within a few years, and my favorite heels tend to be in that 4 - 4 1/2 inch range of steepness. I have a very few pairs of shoes that fall outside this range on the high end, and obviously more than just a few that fall outside this range on the low end, for reasons of practicality. Still, I am stuck at this point with 4 1/2 being my high end. You will see a picture of three different styles of heels that meet this standard that I can actually walk in and wear in normal situations. Also pictured is me in a pair of shoes that I cannot yet wear in normal situations, Pleaser heels that measure 5+ inches, or right at 130 mm. They are beyond my capability, ever-so-slightly. Obviously, I can stand in them just fine, I just can't walk in a manner that I find acceptable for public consumption.

My question to you folks is, "How do I get there from here?" I have been trying to wear my steepest heels more often, and I can tell right away when things get stretched out and it becomes easy. It usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes after I get home from work, when making the transition from relative flats to 4 1/2" heels, to feel somewhat natural walking in the high shoes. I get the feeling that 90% of it is ankle flexibility. If I could just get that extra few degrees of ankle mobility, I think I could walk in those 5" shoes. What are your thoughts?

HighestWalkingHeels.jpg

5inchHeels.jpg

Seems like we have similar issues.  No problem with 4.5" heels, I can jump right into them and go with no discomfort.  Last year I bought two great pairs of boots from a cool guy in the UK, but they have 5-5.5" heels.  It is so darn frustrating, sure I can walk around the house with no issues.  But hitting the street is another story.  Talk about looking like a chump!  I was in Vegas, could barely get around the outside perimeter of the hotel, had to stop and lean on the building for awhile.  It's a double edge sword for sure.  Sure, I need more practice, but walking around the carpeted hotel room just doesn't cut it.  But, anytime I try to venture out, it's a fail for sure.  These boots are amazing and I so want to wear them.  I have always theorized that it is easier for guys/gals with larger feet to walk in a give heel height because the angle from heel to toe is less severe when your feet are longer.  Yes, I realize that it might just be the design of the boots/heels that doesn't agree with me.  But both pairs are made by different manufacturers and have a similar stiletto heel design that I am used to wearing.   I guess I just figured that my smaller feet (US women's 10-11/EU 42) can't handle the more severe angle.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

Seems like we have similar issues.  No problem with 4.5" heels, I can jump right into them and go with no discomfort.  Last year I bought two great pairs of boots from a cool guy in the UK, but they have 5-5.5" heels.  It is so darn frustrating, sure I can walk around the house with no issues.  But hitting the street is another story.  Talk about looking like a chump!  I was in Vegas, could barely get around the outside perimeter of the hotel, had to stop and lean on the building for awhile.  It's a double edge sword for sure.  Sure, I need more practice, but walking around the carpeted hotel room just doesn't cut it.  But, anytime I try to venture out, it's a fail for sure.  These boots are amazing and I so want to wear them.  I have always theorized that it is easier for guys/gals with larger feet to walk in a give heel height because the angle from heel to toe is less severe when your feet are longer.  Yes, I realize that it might just be the design of the boots/heels that doesn't agree with me.  But both pairs are made by different manufacturers and have a similar stiletto heel design that I am used to wearing.   I guess I just figured that my smaller feet (US women's 10-11/EU 42) can't handle the more severe angle.  

Try a size 5 foot (eu 38) in higher than 5 inch :)

On 4/9/2022 at 2:10 PM, NrthEastHeel said:

You really have only size 5 feet?  UK5 of US5?  This seems to negate my "theory"..  I am very partial to conventional styled stiletto heels with pointed toes, so the platform doesn't really fit my style.  But a good suggestion just the same...

54 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

You really have only size 5 feet?  UK5 of US5?  This seems to negate my "theory"..  I am very partial to conventional styled stiletto heels with pointed toes, so the platform doesn't really fit my style.  But a good suggestion just the same...

Uk size 5 (usa 7.5 , eu 38). Heels are abundant in my size, but the arch is steeper :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NrthEastHeel said:

Uk size 5 (usa 7.5 , eu 38). Heels are abundant in my size, but the arch is steeper :)

I agree...  So I guess what I'm saying is that for a given heel height, I would have an easier time walking in a certain pair of heels than you due to my larger feet.  

5" is the limit for me. I have a handful of heels that tall, a couple, that are sandals I can walk in, but the others are too much for my left ankle. I am fine with that I suppose, as people in heels in my area are already a rare bird but anything over 4" is unheard of outside of a party type event, if even then. If its going to be a short outing I may wear them just to justify keeping them in my crowded closet, but mostly I keep to 4" or so. I stand out enough as it is anyway.

4 hours ago, pebblesf said:

I agree...  So I guess what I'm saying is that for a given heel height, I would have an easier time walking in a certain pair of heels than you due to my larger feet.  

Yes i would imagine so, if we had the same pair of shoes same heel height but different size foot, the arch would be a bit shallower on the larger shoe size. Therefore , theoretically, easier to walk in.

• Like 2

The only way for giving the right feeling raise with no mention of the heel height would be giving the angle. 
So the size of the shoe and a platform wouldn’t interfere anymore. 
As it doesn’t seem to be something that could become easy and common we will keep on comparing what isn’t comparable. 
It makes me think to 2 swimmers, one 5’2” and the other one 6’6” comparing how many strokes they need for covering the same distance. Doesn’t make any sense. 

I like heels for their sense of style, and as with so many things - especially regarding style -  sometimes less is more. The heels on my boots are chunky and in the three inch range. I feel no need for anything else. To me chunky heels at that height are stylish and daring, suggestive, hinting at an edgy note of femininity but without being blatant about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

I like heels for their sense of style, and as with so many things - especially regarding style -  sometimes less is more. The heels on my boots are chunky and in the three inch range. I feel no need for anything else. To me chunky heels at that height are stylish and daring, suggestive, hinting at an edgy note of femininity but without being blatant about it.

You are so right indeed.  Like I say, I enjoy so many different styles of boots while being extremely particular at the same time.  I really enjoy wearing my light colored Frye campus boots with 2.75" block heels.  

• Like 3

On 4/10/2022 at 9:01 PM, NrthEastHeel said:

Yes i would imagine so, if we had the same pair of shoes same heel height but different size foot, the arch would be a bit shallower on the larger shoe size. Therefore , theoretically, easier to walk in.

If you think of it from the perspective of the other variable, any given model of shoe/boots should increase in heel height as the size gets larger, in order to maintain the same look. Pictured below is a great example of this. On the left is a size 6 (U.S.) Michael Kors "Oksana" sandal. If memory serves, it has a heel height around 4 3/4 inches, with a 1 inch platform. On the right, the same model in size 9. Heel height is 5 1/2 inches. The owner of the size 6 shoes often wears pumps in the 4 inch range (no platform), and in her size, 4 inch heels look about right to me. In my size, 4 inch seems a little short of the mark.

23 hours ago, Shyheels said:

While I do like the style choices offered to me when it comes to heels, I have to have a certain amount of elevation, or it seems to be missing something. Everybody is different.

MKDifferentSizes.JPG

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 4:05 AM, mlroseplant said:

I am not so much concerned about the comfort factor, I'm way more concerned about the Looking Like an Idiot factor. "Walk" is a verb which is not particularly tightly defined.

It just happens that I have a LOT of those! See example below. It used to be my preferred style, that is, 5 inch heel, 1 inch platform. What I'm after here, I believe, is the athletic challenge of going a little steeper than I have in the past.

Sizzle110mi.jpg

I especially like the ones with the contrasting toe cap.

Love these, been looking for some solid Oxfords for a while.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 6:11 AM, mlroseplant said:

If you think of it from the perspective of the other variable, any given model of shoe/boots should increase in heel height as the size gets larger, in order to maintain the same look. Pictured below is a great example of this. On the left is a size 6 (U.S.) Michael Kors "Oksana" sandal. If memory serves, it has a heel height around 4 3/4 inches, with a 1 inch platform. On the right, the same model in size 9. Heel height is 5 1/2 inches. The owner of the size 6 shoes often wears pumps in the 4 inch range (no platform), and in her size, 4 inch heels look about right to me. In my size, 4 inch seems a little short of the mark.

While I do like the style choices offered to me when it comes to heels, I have to have a certain amount of elevation, or it seems to be missing something. Everybody is different.

MKDifferentSizes.JPG

I have those Michael Kors.  Love them.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, bambam said:

Love these, been looking for some solid Oxfords for a while.

Those pictured are Nine West "Sizzle." However, that model was from more than 10 years ago, and it seems that they have recycled this silly name for another model now. If you're willing to go with a lower heel, there are a TON of oxford options out there.

Speaking of walking heels, this pair of shoes has proven to be my most durable thus far. I have 123 documented miles on these, and they're one of only 3 pairs I've ever owned that I've walked more than 5 continuous miles in. Sadly, they may be on their last legs cosmetically. I'll have to take them in to the cobbler to see if they can be saved.

10 hours ago, StilettoLuv said:

I tend to wear only 1 style.. just pointed stiletto pumps with no plaform .... but I can walk pretty much all day in this heel height.

BPs.jpg

You must go through a lot of heel tips, if you can walk in those all day! 😆

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

You must go through a lot of heel tips, if you can walk in those all day! 😆

Interesting that you mentioned heel tips. For others that wear stiletto style heels, I am sure you too have found that the original tips supplied by the shoe maker are not very resilient. I learned a long time ago how to replace my own tips. Also I am not a huge fan of steel heel tips but they do offer a solution for stilettos that you wear a lot.

• Like 1

My "go to" is 4". Like Melrose I started with 3: and worked my way to 4". I find it funny that I thought my leg muscles were going to explode wearing the 3" heels, and then as I moved up again the muscles were arguing with the heels! Now I can pull on a pair of 4" heels and after a couple minutes for the muscles to settle in I forget I am wearing them.

Some time ago I bought a pair of 5" heels with no platform with the intentions of working my way into them. It may have been a year and I just can not seem to wear them. It seems to me I am simply at the end of the range of motion in my ankles. nothing short of surgery will help!

I do keep trying to wear them. If nothing else it has make the 4 heels easier to wear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StilettoLuv said:

Interesting that you mentioned heel tips. For others that wear stiletto style heels, I am sure you too have found that the original tips supplied by the shoe maker are not very resilient. I learned a long time ago how to replace my own tips. Also I am not a huge fan of steel heel tips but they do offer a solution for stilettos that you wear a lot.

Just exactly where do you even buy steel tips. I have several pair of 5 inch go to stilettos and in many cases replaced tips 4 or 5 times. Admittedly, love the sound my worn tips make but not good to wear too much before the surrounding heel gets damaged.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, Jkrenzer said:

Just exactly where do you even buy steel tips. I have several pair of 5 inch go to stilettos and in many cases replaced tips 4 or 5 times. Admittedly, love the sound my worn tips make but not good to wear too much before the surrounding heel gets damaged.

I could not find a source for replacement steel heel tips. They are a solution to the delicate heels tips for those that wear stilettos consistently and often. 

I have to walk regularly through a train station that has ceramic tile floors and while the sound is amazing (but does say "LOOK AT MY HEELS") steel heel tips are frankly super slippery and dangerous for walking.

• Like 1