Street shoes vs bedroom shoes

Rockpup

So, was at a friends 50th birthday last night, among a group with a wide variety of interests. I was wearing a pair of 85mm wedge pumps most of the night, and a few friends commented that they have tried heels, but their feet are killing them within an hour. I tried in vein to explain most shoes marketed toward adult activities do not have the subtle details that provide for longer wear comfort.

Sadly, I wonder how many people have tried uncomfortable heels in private, and decided to forgo trying heels as a style choice.

• Like 5

(formerly known as "JimC")

The gender of the person doesn't matter.  If you buy heels for the LOOK and disregard the fit or breaking them in, what do you expect?

One experience like this and you get turned off to heels.

But do you buy "bedroom shoes" to walk in?

Edited by Cali

100 pairs of shoes and boot. Only 1 pair I can’t walk in.  Ballet boots from Pleaser.
I have a couple pair of Devious  7” no platform that I can walk in.   But agreed, some are meant for laying down in 

B9565D80-67B5-41FA-87BB-F0FB995C76E3.thumb.jpeg.62b5464c397a6f10a71437b082647da3.jpeg

• Like 8

On 3/20/2022 at 10:28 PM, CAT said:

100 pairs of shoes and boot. Only 1 pair I can’t walk in.  Ballet boots from Pleaser.
I have a couple pair of Devious  7” no platform that I can walk in.   But agreed, some are meant for laying down in 

B9565D80-67B5-41FA-87BB-F0FB995C76E3.thumb.jpeg.62b5464c397a6f10a71437b082647da3.jpeg

Oh my, those are gorgeous. Devious Daggers maybe? 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:28 PM, CAT said:

Looking great as usual CAT, sure hope all is well...Take good care.  Don

On 3/23/2022 at 8:18 PM, CAT said:

Why YES,,,,,YES THE ARE!!!!! 

They are spectacular

I really admire that you can wear such very high heels out walking. I am aware of the effort it takes to become good at walking in them. Thank you for posting the picture and the album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StilettoLuv said:

I really admire that you can wear such very high heels out walking. I am aware of the effort it takes to become good at walking in them. Thank you for posting the picture and the album.

Thanks for the compliment!!   It was not to much of a challenge in the beginning.   The bigger challenge was the fear of being seen!   Now as you can see I could care less.  Traveling thru airports plans and different cities is no big deal.  Use to be a cup of coffee, clothing shopping outing, now its where ever when ever!

• Like 3

It's those first times that causes the most butterflies.  The more you do it the easier it becomes. Overcoming the fear of being seen is hard, but once to pass that wall (glass ceiling) you are free.

• Like 4

On 3/20/2022 at 9:59 AM, Rockpup said:

So, was at a friends 50th birthday last night, among a group with a wide variety of interests. I was wearing a pair of 85mm wedge pumps most of the night, and a few friends commented that they have tried heels, but their feet are killing them within an hour. I tried in vein to explain most shoes marketed toward adult activities do not have the subtle details that provide for longer wear comfort.

Sadly, I wonder how many people have tried uncomfortable heels in private, and decided to forgo trying heels as a style choice.

I am not so sure that people necessarily try "bedroom" shoes as their first heels, but I do think that many people do choose something too high, too soon, and probably ill-fitting as well. It also makes a big difference what one is doing during that hour. Standing in one spot for an hour in flats can make one's feet very tired, and if one is not used to wearing heels, standing in one spot can seem torturous!

I've had only one "student" in 10 years who was willing to at least entertain the idea of doing what it takes to wear high heels a lot. Upon my advice, she (my niece) went out and bought some 2 1/2" wedges, a cute, kind of espadrille style. I thought "perfect!" and instructed her to walk around the block in them the first day, then gradually increase the distance until she could walk at least a mile in reasonable comfort. Well, what happened was that within a few days, the shoes rubbed a blister (or blisters, I never really found out) on her foot, and she gave up on the whole idea. Soon after that she got a boyfriend, and I rarely hear from her anymore. It happens.

My own journey to high heel independence and stamina has been a long one, and a continuing one. During the winter, when I don't get out and walk a whole lot, I can tell the difference. Most people are just not willing to do what it takes to wear heels in the real world.

• Like 1

Ill fitting heels were the bane of my existence in my younger years. I was just impossible to find anything in my size in those days. I can still remember the joy I felt when I put on those simple black pumps I got from Payless that finally fit! I often trolled through that store just admiring them when one day I saw a pair in 12W. This store never carried anything above 11's & my heart skipped a beat when I saw them. I wore those suckers down to a nub, although I wasn't out in public at that time. A good fit makes all the difference.

• Like 1

I miss Payless Shoes....   I know they have an online presence, but it just ain't the same....  

And I also remember "those days" when most all gals shoes and sandals went only to size 10 (some even only to a 9 1/2).  Fortunately now days stylish gals shoes and sandals go to a size 12 and some even to a 13!!  Paradise alive...  smile..    sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

7 hours ago, SF said:

I miss Payless Shoes....   I know they have an online presence, but it just ain't the same....  

And I also remember "those days" when most all gals shoes and sandals went only to size 10 (some even only to a 9 1/2).  Fortunately now days stylish gals shoes and sandals go to a size 12 and some even to a 13!!  Paradise alive...  smile..    sf

I'm just thankful not to be a 10 1/2. That would be very frustrating.

1 minute ago, mlroseplant said:

I'm just thankful not to be a 10 1/2. That would be very frustrating.

I actually am 10.5, men's 9. It's not that bad. Most heels fit me 10 to 11 since for some reason women's sizes are not actually consistent. Over time I gained a feel for brands that run small, buy 11, and those that run large, buy 10. Also, I'll buy preworn 10's often as someone else will break them in and they'll fit fine. Few people put the miles on their heels like us, so preowned doesn't mean worn out.

• Like 1

It has been mentioned elsewhere, but I have been attracted to gals shoes since I was a kid.  When I became a teen and got out more, I would go shoe shopping at local stores on my bike.  I was growing and my feet were smaller.  I could fit a gals 9 or 10 shoe but as I grew sizing became more difficult.  Both my folks were tall and my dad had at least a size 13 or 14 foot.  I hoped (and prayed) that my foot would not get larger since I really liked wearing gals shoes.  When I finally stopped growing (I am about 6ft 2in), my prayers were answered and my foot stayed at a gals 11 or 12.  Back in the 70's, those sizes were hard to find, especially for "normal," non "striper" looking heels.  As us older folks know, over the years women's shoe sizes have gotten larger, and maybe due to a demand from some guys, the availability of larger sizes is frequent.  I just thank the fact that I am a women's 11 or 12 and can get nice looking, stylish gals shoes in my size !!  Makes me very happy.    Enjoy your heels.  Smile...  sf   

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"