Skies Don’t Fall… First Outing

VirginHeels

VirginHeels,  Good for you.  Getting out in public is the only way to get used to being out in public.  I too was nervous at first but with time that all goes away.  Besides most folks don't notice, and the ones who do don't really care.  You will get an occasional stare or look, big deal.  And sometimes you even get a compliment.  

One observation though, you mentioned "wobbles."  In Europe you folks there have many, many places with cobblestone street and road surfaces.  Here in the United States cobblestones are almost unheard of.  The times I have travelled in Europe, I was amazed at seeing the gals - and probably guys - in heels negotiating the uneven cobblestone surface.  Amazing.  I have worn low heel wedgies on European streets and it was a challenge!  

Glad you got out, keep it up you won't regret it one bit.  Smile...   sf

• Like 4

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Congratulation @VirginHeels on you first (of many) trips. We have those traffic/disabled bobbles and I have to be careful on they as well. These are even harder negotiating with stilettos. As for you balls of your feet hurting, you might want to look into foot pads. I have them in almost every heel I wear. 

• Like 2

Great job VH!  Like you say, no one really notices, they are way too busy getting to where they are going.  Yeah, the pain in the balls of your feet can be discouraging, but it does go away over time.  Just plan shorter trips for now, so the pain doesn't get the best of you.  

Sounds like a great outfit, hope to see pictures...D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SF said:

VirginHeels,  Good for you.  Getting out in public is the only way to get used to being out in public.  I too was nervous at first but with time that all goes away.  Besides most folks don't notice, and the ones who do don't really care.  You will get an occasional stare or look, big deal.  And sometimes you even get a compliment.  

One observation though, you mentioned "wobbles."  In Europe you folks there have many, many places with cobblestone street and road surfaces.  Here in the United States cobblestones are almost unheard of.  The times I have travelled in Europe, I was amazed at seeing the gals - and probably guys - in heels negotiating the uneven cobblestone surface.  Amazing.  I have worn low heel wedgies on European streets and it was a challenge!  

Glad you got out, keep it up you won't regret it one bit.  Smile...   sf

There were nerves, but I almost took an alter ego attitude into the experience. Especially with the slight click of the heels. European streets are a different hazard. Stockholm is smooth as a baby’s bum, barring main shopping street. Bergamo is a cobbled and tiled masterpiece. And going on what women were doing there, it’s stilettos chunky heels, wedged shoes are a no-no for them. Edinburgh is another city that’s a heel hazard, but there’s lots on show.

1 hour ago, Cali said:

Congratulation @VirginHeels on you first (of many) trips. We have those traffic/disabled bobbles and I have to be careful on they as well. These are even harder negotiating with stilettos. As for you balls of your feet hurting, you might want to look into foot pads. I have them in almost every heel I wear. 

I’ve got them. I’ll put one of those gel Ballorette ones in. I can’t wait till the day I go for a stiletto. At the very start of this I thought I’d never go for a stiletto. This place has changed me. Stiletto boots and maybe a pair of pumps will be on the horizon at some point. The just look too good.

32 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

Great job VH!  Like you say, no one really notices, they are way too busy getting to where they are going.  Yeah, the pain in the balls of your feet can be discouraging, but it does go away over time.  Just plan shorter trips for now, so the pain doesn't get the best of you.  

Sounds like a great outfit, hope to see pictures...D

There’s a definite learning curve, this is the start of the bell curve I feel. I don’t care if folk notice, if they do and give a compliment I’ll happily receive it, maybe spark a conversation. No pictures, I bloody loved the fact every stride I took added some sway and life in my fur ruff hood. And the look was great in shop windows.

• Like 2

That’s the area I’m talking about. The old town. New town is less of a hassle, the old one, castle and university area, more difficult going on what I know.

I can definitely tell you now a life in heels is a good bodily workout. My core is feeling better, my back pain is not there and I gotta say goodbye to sciatica as well. The tops of my feet are also a little tetchy after being stretched a little.

I was thinking about doing pole dancing/fitness lessons for more focus on my arms and core. Plus it means I can buy 6/7 inch Pleaser heels, eventually. Plus a few other really tall pairs I like from other manufacturers.

I now see how a life in heels can be bad for the bank account.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, VirginHeels said:

There was one bad thing that happened, the balls of my feet were burning. After 45 to 60 minutes in heels I had to change into my trainers (sneakers for non UK folk). I even done the taping of the toes trick, it works.

Thing is, I have done it, been out in heels, proper high heels, not 2.5 inch Cuban ones. I guess my next outing will be longer. Now looking for that opportunity. Might look for something with a slightly lower heel.

Guys who have not heeled in public, do it, it’s something that you will thank yourself for. Even if it was for an hour or less.

Congratulations to you! I also could not have predicted that I would be wearing stiletto heels on a regular basis when I began this journey.

I'm sure I have given this advice a number of times before, but I think it's buried somewhere in the archives by now. Everyone is different, but I do not put a lot of stock in footpads for comfort. I do use them in certain shoes for fitment purposes, but I have found that they do not extend your journeys by much. Again, your mileage may vary.

What does extend your journeys is practice. And by practice, I mean walking on the street regularly. And by walking, I mean walking for exercise. Get yourself some 3 inch heels with a bit of a broader heel, and walk a mile or two in them a few times a week, as you are able. As the weeks and months progress, you'll be able to walk a mile or two in 4 inch heels. I'm trying to remember just exactly how long it took me to have any true endurance in actual high heels, but it's been nearly 10 years ago and many, many shoes ago. I can tell you that I put on many, many miles on 3 inch heels, or even slightly lower.

Not long after I started heeling publicly, I went into a local department store with the intent of buying some high heeled boots. I found some with a 5 inch heel, 1 inch platform, so effectively a 4 inch difference. Not more than a month after I got them, I needed to go to a large shopping mall to get a new mobile phone. I decided it was an ideal place to wear these new boots. What I did not count on was having to stand and wait at mobile phone place for the better part of an hour. Anyone will tell you, standing is way worse than walking in heels. By the time I got back to the car, I thought I was going to die. I was ready to give up heels at that point, figuring that any stories of people wearing these all the time were fantasy.

As you know, I did not give up heels, and today I could wear those boots all day long, including a lot of standing, without any thought. So when you say you only lasted an hour, that's not bad. It will take a lot of hard work before they become all day shoes, but it is doable.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Congratulations to you! I also could not have predicted that I would be wearing stiletto heels on a regular basis when I began this journey.

I'm sure I have given this advice a number of times before, but I think it's buried somewhere in the archives by now. Everyone is different, but I do not put a lot of stock in footpads for comfort. I do use them in certain shoes for fitment purposes, but I have found that they do not extend your journeys by much. Again, your mileage may vary.

What does extend your journeys is practice. And by practice, I mean walking on the street regularly. And by walking, I mean walking for exercise. Get yourself some 3 inch heels with a bit of a broader heel, and walk a mile or two in them a few times a week, as you are able. As the weeks and months progress, you'll be able to walk a mile or two in 4 inch heels. I'm trying to remember just exactly how long it took me to have any true endurance in actual high heels, but it's been nearly 10 years ago and many, many shoes ago. I can tell you that I put on many, many miles on 3 inch heels, or even slightly lower.

Not long after I started heeling publicly, I went into a local department store with the intent of buying some high heeled boots. I found some with a 5 inch heel, 1 inch platform, so effectively a 4 inch difference. Not more than a month after I got them, I needed to go to a large shopping mall to get a new mobile phone. I decided it was an ideal place to wear these new boots. What I did not count on was having to stand and wait at mobile phone place for the better part of an hour. Anyone will tell you, standing is way worse than walking in heels. By the time I got back to the car, I thought I was going to die. I was ready to give up heels at that point, figuring that any stories of people wearing these all the time were fantasy.

As you know, I did not give up heels, and today I could wear those boots all day long, including a lot of standing, without any thought. So when you say you only lasted an hour, that's not bad. It will take a lot of hard work before they become all day shoes, but it is doable.

Thanks.

Stilettos are the goal now. A long term goal. I thought I’d never say that. But looking at some boots, I’m still going to wear more boots than anything else. Possible for a pair of pumps and probably a pair of oxfords.

Ill try foot pads, I’m skeptical, I think if I get more time on my Naturalizer Calie 4 inch/1/2 inch platforms it will get better. I think I might be like you, no replacement for getting “match fit” to take a sports term.

Problem is, it will only be once a month I get out, more when the live music scene comes roaring back. A great way to wear heels, barring when it’s a standing gig I guess as I’m usually found down the front for a metal gig, unless it’s a more intimidating artist where I’ll happily take a seat. I usually stand from doors opening at maybe 6pm to the very last song at 11pm, even in trainers this can get interesting. Country gigs have seats, so can wear what ever, might get those 4 inch heel cowboy boots from OnlyMaker.

I’m prepared for the long haul, I know to get good, time is the only way. Heels are what I want to wear, especially as I’m on a journey to get the body I would feel confident and comfortable in. Hence why I’m looking at Pole Fitness/Dancing lessons, combining fitness with wearing heels.

• Like 1

Yes, the skies did not fall, and the next morning the sun rose as well.  

Congrats on getting out, you won’t regret it.  Have fun.  sf

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 11:35 AM, VirginHeels said:

Thanks.

Stilettos are the goal now. A long term goal. I thought I’d never say that. But looking at some boots, I’m still going to wear more boots than anything else. Possible for a pair of pumps and probably a pair of oxfords.

Ill try foot pads, I’m skeptical, I think if I get more time on my Naturalizer Calie 4 inch/1/2 inch platforms it will get better. I think I might be like you, no replacement for getting “match fit” to take a sports term.

Problem is, it will only be once a month I get out, more when the live music scene comes roaring back. A great way to wear heels, barring when it’s a standing gig I guess as I’m usually found down the front for a metal gig, unless it’s a more intimidating artist where I’ll happily take a seat. I usually stand from doors opening at maybe 6pm to the very last song at 11pm, even in trainers this can get interesting. Country gigs have seats, so can wear what ever, might get those 4 inch heel cowboy boots from OnlyMaker.

I’m prepared for the long haul, I know to get good, time is the only way. Heels are what I want to wear, especially as I’m on a journey to get the body I would feel confident and comfortable in. Hence why I’m looking at Pole Fitness/Dancing lessons, combining fitness with wearing heels.

I'm with you buddy, love wearing my stiletto boots the most.  And, I find they are actually easier to walk in than some of my block heeled boots.  That being said, stiletto heels take a terrible beating on most city streets, and can be dangerous on the city streets you have described.  So, be prepared to have the heel tips replaced regularly and be very careful.  Falling/tripping is a real confidence killer, and you sure don't want to get hurt.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pebblesf said:

I'm with you buddy, love wearing my stiletto boots the most.  And, I find they are actually easier to walk in than some of my block heeled boots.  That being said, stiletto heels take a terrible beating on most city streets, and can be dangerous on the city streets you have described.  So, be prepared to have the heel tips replaced regularly and be very careful.  Falling/tripping is a real confidence killer, and you sure don't want to get hurt.  

I have read that from many HH threads, a nice stiletto is easier to walk in. I can imagine they take a beating, in the nicer areas here it’s all nice slate tiled pathways. Some places are tarmac, others are still that nice classy 80s concrete knurled pattern crap. If I fell the confidence would shatter, if I tripped and stumbled it would take a knock.

Im taking some time to get comfortable and confident in block boots. I would then go to stiletto boots and then the final boss… Stiletto Pump or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VirginHeels said:

I have read that from many HH threads, a nice stiletto is easier to walk in. I can imagine they take a beating, in the nicer areas here it’s all nice slate tiled pathways. Some places are tarmac, others are still that nice classy 80s concrete knurled pattern crap. If I fell the confidence would shatter, if I tripped and stumbled it would take a knock.

Im taking some time to get comfortable and confident in block boots. I would then go to stiletto boots and then the final boss… Stiletto Pump or two.

There are many great looking boots with thicker/wider stiletto type heels, and plenty with block type heels also.   Have fun buddy.  I spent the day roaming around  Redondo beach in my nine west stiletto ankle boots.  I don't really think anyone noticed, surely didn't hear any giggling, and no one offered any compliments.  I'm sure a few people noticed though, but they were too busy or didn't really care enough to say anything.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pebblesf said:

There are many great looking boots with thicker/wider stiletto type heels, and plenty with block type heels also.   Have fun buddy.  I spent the day roaming around  Redondo beach in my nine west stiletto ankle boots.  I don't really think anyone noticed, surely didn't hear any giggling, and no one offered any compliments.  I'm sure a few people noticed though, but they were too busy or didn't really care enough to say anything.  

That’s the thing. Only two folk noticed. Everyone else is far too busy going about their lives. I have been thinking about doing something in heels for charity. Then I can wear them all over the place after as they will be comfortable. Nine West make really comfortable shoes!!!

• Like 1

I wear knee and OTK boots, over skinny jeans, and if anyone notices I certainly don’t notice them noticing. My heels are not terribly high  - two inches to three-and-a-half block/Cuban heels - but together with the style of the boots would be outside the norm for men. But nobody really cares.

• Like 2

Virgin heels, Well done on first public outing. Skies didn’t fall, as correctly predicted by our members, and you grew as an individual. Life is a one-shot privilege at adventure and learning so do as much as you can while health and imagination can propel you there. HappyinHeels

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, HappyinHeels said:

Virgin heels, Well done on first public outing. Skies didn’t fall, as correctly predicted by our members, and you grew as an individual. Life is a one-shot privilege at adventure and learning so do as much as you can while health and imagination can propel you there. HappyinHeels

Thanks!!!! I’m now so long out of them now, I’ve got the itch. I love learning a new skill, and this is one. I may have ordered something over the weekend. Going to have to get a slot at the podiatrist soon as I’ve got a funky ingrown spike again. I now know that to wear heels, being comfortable at the toes is key. I’m looking forward to my first pair of stiletto heels, once I’m comfortable to move into them.

Edited by VirginHeels
  • Like 1

VirginHeels,

So stiletto heels are your next focus. They have an aura about them, nobody seems to doubt you whether the wearer is female or male. It helps to survey the area where you plan to wear them. Watch for cobblestone streets or uneven pavements or, as I remember vividly from Great Britain, mind the gap when getting off the train. I try to know where I’m going at all times and the terrain/route I will be covering. Another option is to wear one type of shoe on the way and change into your venue heels upon arrival. Stiletto heels have worked well with jeans, trousers, dresses and skirts and I know many members here enjoy them different ways. Keep your chin up and your heels up even more. HappyinHeels

• Like 4

Thanks! They are the long term focus. The focus now is to get confidence in what I have and what is going to come my way in terms of block heels. Get used to them in 4 inch height right now. Then once I’ve got them down, then in a time in the future move to a stiletto. They are just too damn cute not to. First to a stiletto boot then to a pump or Oxford style.

Im planning on wearing heels with jeans, plain old mens jeans. I’m not interested in skirts or dresses. Heels then all male attire, with a more sort of androgynous style in there.

• Like 2

Wearing stilettoes puts you a different frame of mind. On one hand you to have to be a little careful where you put your foot down, but on the flip side the power you get from them is amazing. They are power shoes for sure.

• Like 2

Oh, I get the idea of stilettos creating an aura of confidence and empowerment - I could sense that from the moment I first tried in a pair of stiletto knee boots a few years ago out of curiosity. I liked it, as I liked very much the sense of daring and taboo breaking I felt by wearing them, but visually, in the sense of my own aesthetic, I prefer chunky heels of 3” or so, in knee or ankle boots.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

I just think stilettos are easier to walk smoothly in. Obviously, there are some challenges with avoiding dropping your heels into voids where they shouldn't go, but on smooth even surfaces, I find them much nicer as a general rule. I have rarely run across very thick block heels or especially wedges that don't seem clompy to walk in.

1 minute ago, Shyheels said:

Oh, I get the idea of stilettos creating an aura of confidence and empowerment - I could sense that from the moment I first tried in a pair of stiletto knee boots a few years ago out of curiosity. I liked it, as I liked very much the sense of daring and taboo breaking I felt by wearing them, but visually, in the sense of my own aesthetic, I prefer chunky heels of 3” or so, in knee or ankle boots.

Haha, new reply. My thoughts do not really apply to this height range. In fact, I would say the opposite in this height range. I find kitten heels to be the worst as far as ease of walking! Give me a good old block heel at 3" or less!

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t care much for “stilettos” for me or the gals.  But that’s just my preference.  Aintnothang...  sf

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 4:44 PM, VirginHeels said:

Great selection :)

On 1/26/2022 at 2:56 PM, VirginHeels said:

Well, I did it. First time in heels in public. Guys, SKIES DON’T FALL. Those who have not done it, do it. What a feeling, inclusive, and adrenaline filled.

Went to the city centre, to look at new TVs as ours is on the way out. Walked down the main thoroughfare and it was busy for these pandemic times, but it was no where near normal levels pre pandemic. Had a few wobbles, especially on cracks and those disabled bobbles we have here in the UK at traffic lights to let the visually impaired there’s a traffic  light here.

I took my 4 inch Nine West Cacey 9x9 boots, I decided that why not… Life is too short to play it safe. Dressed with my Levis with the long inseam that covered most of my heels, leaving a inch or so visible. Also wore a black Vans T-shirt and my Mackage bomber jacket. Oh and my face mask, great for anonymity.

The sound is amazing, the feeling is great, got a few disparaging looks, but also had a thumbs up. Interesting thing happened, there was a fellow MALE heeler out as well. Gave him a nod of approval, as his were on display. As it wasn’t great weather there was lots of trainers on. The amount of heels on show from the women folk is also increasing to a incredible level, lots of lug sole boots, a pair of JC Litas and some stiletto pumps.

There was one bad thing that happened, the balls of my feet were burning. After 45 to 60 minutes in heels I had to change into my trainers (sneakers for non UK folk). I even done the taping of the toes trick, it works.

Thing is, I have done it, been out in heels, proper high heels, not 2.5 inch Cuban ones. I guess my next outing will be longer. Now looking for that opportunity. Might look for something with a slightly lower heel.

Guys who have not heeled in public, do it, it’s something that you will thank yourself for. Even if it was for an hour or less.

Bravo! Certainly a little braver than i. I would dearly love to wear my heels out in public but i live in what i would call a reserved, perhaps old fashioned area. However i have come to somewhat of a middle ground. I wear mine to work, and spend my morning in them as i work alone in mornings. I enjoy the sound of the heels walking down the street to my car, and ofcourse on the hard floors at work. While its not fully public, its a comfortable comprimise.

• Like 4

When I first started wearing heels in public I used to wear jeans that was too long to hide the heel so people did not notice. Fast forward to 2020-2022 I’ve learnt that by me hiding the heels I was more scared of people noticing the heels. Now I don’t hide the heels and wear jeans so the heels are on display I don’t worry anymore and as of yet I’ve not had any issues In public. Not noticed any funny looks or comments yet.

• Like 3