Open toe, i.e. The FINAL FRONTIER

bambam

So I have been wearing heels for years at this point, including the sexiest pumps I could find, but haven't worked up the gut to wear my favorite pair of open toe Pleasers, or any of my open toe shoes. It's not that I have big manly feet, quite the opposite I find, I just haven't been able to give myself a proper pedicure, and I refuse to wear those shoes if I don't at least have well kept toes. Any advice on doing this at home? I know going to a salon is a decent idea, but I really want to do it myself, and for some reason, coloring in the lines is still a problem for me. However, I love these shoes too much not to keep trying.

delight-658-bpu_07d66af5-798a-4160-953a-3e76a6cc0e5f.jpg

Edited by bambam
  • Like 4

My strict rule....  If you (me) are going to wear sandals - guys or gals - your feet should look nice, and that include some type of a pedicure, professional or do it yourself.  I do both, depends on my schedule and situation.  I give my wife pedicures on a regular basis and sometimes we "splurge" and both go to a salon, it's fun.  

Doing your own pedicure is not that difficult, just takes time.  I use cuticle softener and trim then file my nails.  The last step is a buffer file to smooth the surface of the nails it gives a nice shiny - glossy base for either a clear coat or color.  I started with a clear coat long ago, but for the past few years have been using color exclusively.  It looks nice.  

As for "coloring in the lines" it just takes practice.  When I paint my or the wife nails I always have a cotton ball and paper towel with polish remover handy for mistakes.  Some nail salons use a small artists paint brush that is dipped in acetone for final corrections and touch up's when even they get out of the lines.  I have not tried that but it works well.  Again, practice, practice...

Nice sandals BTW, but not for me, the heel is way to high, but if I were to wear them, as with my other sandals,  I would have a nice pedicure....  

Have fun...   Enjoy your shoes and sandals...   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

If you going to wear open toe sandals you need to have nice nails.  If they look at your feet, and they will, nasty looking toes will distract.

Most of the time I have my toes done at a salon, in fact tomorrow is my next appointment. I get a leg and foot massage with it.  Its not easy for me to do a pedicure and takes me hours to do it right.

I would suggest you go to a salon at least once and watch how they do things.  This will help you to learn how to do it yourself.

Nice Gladiator sandals.

Edited by Cali

6 hours ago, SF said:

...I always have a cotton ball and paper towel with polish remover handy for mistakes.  Some nail salons use a small artists paint brush that is dipped in acetone for final corrections and touch up's when even they get out of the lines...

Best tool I have found for self polishing, a box of cotton swabs, in particular, the ones that come to a sharp point. They are made for polish work. One end for dipping into polish remover & the other end for cleanup. Works great for getting into the crevices on the sides of your nails...

• Like 1

All right, I'm going to throw this in here, as sandals are my preferred footwear, and I appear to be in the minority. It is not necessary to paint your toenails to have nice looking feet. I personally prefer unpolished nails on both men and women. Howeveah.  .  . It IS necessary to do some maintenance, and I would advise a professional pedicure if you truly don't know what to do, and while you're there, don't completely bask in the indulgence, pay a little attention to what they're doing, then you can decided later on which route you'd rather go.

Couple of caveats: 1) I realize that many can't go bare for whatever reason, be it fungus, injury, or some other problem, like being a ballerina, that causes the unpainted nails to be unattractive. This segues rather neatly into number 2) Just because you've had a professional pedicure doesn't guarantee you'll have attractive feet. Unfortunately, genetics is unkind to some, kinder to others. Good luck!

Edited by mlroseplant