Back to the 1970s - return of platforms

at9

Love them or loathe them, platforms seem to be making a comeback. Lots of articles earlier this year and this the other day: https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2021/nov/28/walking-tall-platforms-are-shoe-of-choice-for-the-party-season

Possibly also for men: https://www.justjared.com/2021/11/26/tom-daley-rocks-a-red-suit-platform-heels-for-2021-team-gb-ball/

• Like 1

Some amusement here: https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/p/platform_shoe.asp

Not sure where this extreme platform picture came from. I found it on my PC in a file dated 1999. The domain name that's visible no longer seems to exist. Falling off these could be rather nasty. Doorframes would be another hazard for many of us.

825.JPG

Edited by at9
  • Like 2

Yup, and it’s a no from me.

As I work in a environment where I can see up to 7,000 a day, they have been coming into the amount coming in increasing. Plus the old brothel creeper shoes, or at least that’s what they were called in 1960 and 1970s Glasgow.

Its a worrying trend, but a trend none the less. I have, and am pleased to report on my basic daily viewings, that more heels are being worn by women. When I asked one woman who I’d never seen wear a splendid pair of 4 inch black stiletto boots before, the reply was this: “well, I take 3 fold, I just split up with my boyfriend and he hated me in heels, the fact I like them and I am doing it for me, plus I’m starting a new job soon where heels whilst are not a requirement it’s looked on more favourable to wear them. I’m looking forward to spending 10 hours a day in heels”

She said that she has heels now for “every outfit, work and play”

If it’s a start to normalise heels on men, I’m all for it. Just not taking part in it.

• Like 2

I love my platforms. I have some that are 7 inch heels with 2.5 inch platform. Great for reaching the top shelf in my kitchen cabinets, cleaning the top of the refrigerator, and see above the crowd. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VirginHeels said:

As I work in a environment where I can see up to 7,000 a day, they have been coming into the amount coming in increasing. Plus the old brothel creeper shoes, or at least that’s what they were called in 1960 and 1970s Glasgow.

Its a worrying trend, but a trend none the less. I have, and am pleased to report on my basic daily viewings, that more heels are being worn by women. When I asked one woman who I’d never seen wear a splendid pair of 4 inch black stiletto boots before, the reply was this: “well, I take 3 fold, I just split up with my boyfriend and he hated me in heels, the fact I like them and I am doing it for me, plus I’m starting a new job soon where heels whilst are not a requirement it’s looked on more favourable to wear them. I’m looking forward to spending 10 hours a day in heels”

If it’s a start to normalise heels on men, I’m all for it. Just not taking part in it.

This is not a trend I see happening in my neck of the woods. Outside some chunky heels I see zero heels being worn.

As for platforms I'm with Shyheels, I LOATH the damn things.

• Like 1

I don't see 70s platforms, but I do see 90s Spice Girls era platforms with chunky heels and square toes that are making a comeback this season.

I love those, and bought a pair of Jeffrey Campbells myself a week ago.

Edited by alphax

11 hours ago, VirginHeels said:

How could any guy not like a woman im heels. I don't get that at all. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, at9 said:

Not sure where this extreme platform picture came from. I found it on my PC in a file dated 1999. The domain name that's visible no longer seems to exist. 

If i remember correctly that was the first high heel forum in Germany that died, around 2005 or so.

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

3 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

How could any guy not like a woman im heels. I don't get that at all. 

He is 5ft 8, she is about a inch shorter, he has a napoleon complex in the terms of no one he dates can be taller than he. There’s men who don’t like their woman taller than them.

Me, she can wear whatever she likes. If she wants to wear a heel with jeans, trousers or any skirt she has the god given right to do so. I want the best version of any woman I can get.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 2:53 PM, Chorlini said:

Personally I'd rather see a woman in pretty flats then ugly heels.

But of course it would be best to see a woman in pretty heels instead of ugly flats ..... 🤩

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

21 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

This is ironic, as I've favored platforms for years (though not the super huge 70s style), but lately I've been gravitating toward single sole. Always a day late and a dollar short.

Don't worry, as an "old men" we aren't expected to follow the new trends. This grayed old man will continue his single soled stiletto wearing ways.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

A number of years ago there was a news article that suggested that plaforms tended to get bigger as inflation rose. I cannot pin any certainty to this, it's obviously a unique piece of journalistic investigation.

I however think they are great. I'm not talking the eye watering hight of the lady in the photo up-top but something of a more manageable height is quite acceptable in my view.

1 hour ago, Jkrenzer said:

Don't worry, as an "old men" we aren't expected to follow the new trends. This grayed old man will continue his single soled stiletto wearing ways.

Any guy in heels is well off the fashion trend and so is presumably free to find his own way

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The platformed and blocked heel shoes of the 1970's and early 80's were the footwear that made people's feet seem hideously and disproportionately large, which scratches the virtual chalkboard with my mind's finger nails. The more I saw them on display and being worn, the less I wanted to have anything to do with them. So the return of the 70's platforms have no bearing on my footwear choices.

The streamlined, slender sleekness of the stiletto pumps continue to be my preferred choices for footwear no matter what fashions are trending. The average size stiletto pump shoes can even have slendered and tapered platformed toe boxes of less than 1.5 inches tall that look like they are part of the design and not added at the last minute, when the stiletto heels are equivalently taller than 4.5 inches. Putting platforms on average size shoes with heel heights less than 4 inches only makes the wearer's feet look displeasingly and awkwardly larger with most heel styled footwear, as a general speculation. 

• Like 3

To me, platform shoes and sandals, especially extreme platforms just look strange.  I will stay with single sole sandals, to me that style just looks so much nicer.  But alas, that's me.  Some folks like Chevy's and others Ford, it's a choice and glad that I have the freedom to choose.  Nice, very nice.  Enjoy your shoes, however they may appear...   smile...  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

On 12/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, mlroseplant said:

This is ironic, as I've favored platforms for years (though not the super huge 70s style), but lately I've been gravitating toward single sole. Always a day late and a dollar short.

They say that wisdom comes with age. 😁

9 hours ago, Histiletto said:

The platformed and blocked heel shoes of the 1970's and early 80's were the footwear that made people's feet seem hideously and disproportionately large, which scratches the virtual chalkboard with my mind's finger nails. The more I saw them on display and being worn, the less I wanted to have anything to do with them. So the return of the 70's platforms have no bearing on my footwear choices.

The streamlined, slender sleekness of the stiletto pumps continue to be my preferred choices for footwear no matter what fashions are trending. The average size stiletto pump shoes can even have slendered and tapered platformed toe boxes of less than 1.5 inches tall that look like they are part of the design and not added at the last minute, when the stiletto heels are equivalently taller than 4.5 inches. Putting platforms on average size shoes with heel heights less than 4 inches only makes the wearer's feet look displeasingly and awkwardly larger with most heel styled footwear, as a general speculation. 

I wonder if your formative era, like in your teens when you start to notice these things, and develop your first, for lack of a better word, fetishes, if the fashions of that era play a role in it. Platforms were big in the 70's late 90's and 00's. I wonder if the people who now like either single sole, or platforms, what their formative years were. Cause mine were in the 80's when big hair, shoulder pieces and single sole heels ruled and IMHO they still rule! Well, not the hair and shoulder pieces of course. Maybe everyone else can chime in and state their formative years and heel preference, as a fun little experiment?

Edited by Chorlini

I have tender feet and I can feel too much of the ground in single soles, so many of my heels have platforms. From 1/2 inch hidden platforms on my VS stiletto sandals to a full 2.5 inch on some lace ups. Girls in high school where wearing CFM heels to dances.  But I not influence by my youth, but by what fits.  

In the mid 70's I even had some "wave platforms".

Now you pump lovers might want to set down for this, I have NO pumps. They just don't fit.

I'd call myself of child of the 80s, but since I'm from the midwest U.S., we're behind a few years on all things fashion, so I definitely remember the 70s styles lingering on well into the 80s. I definitely remember my share of huge shoes, mostly on women, but on men too. I also remember a lot of bell bottomed pants where you couldn't really see what kind of shoes a person was wearing.

I never liked any of it, and once shoes with smarter, thinner, tapering heels started showing up on girls' feet, I was happy. That doesn't mean I liked everything that was going on at the time. Before the classic 1980s pump with its uniquely shaped stiletto heel took over, there was a period where girls wore sandals with tall, tapered wooden heels with everything, including all winter. The most famous example of this style was Candies shoes, but most girls wore a similar style, only with a back strap or with an ankle strap. It's a style I always liked, and my current collection features many shoes of this type. However, at the time, you wore them with pantyhose. I always thought this was dumb, but I do not remember any girl violating this rule when dressing up, in either flats or heels. I only remember one girl in junior high school who wore heels with jeans, and I think she probably wore knee high nylons with her wooden heeled sandals, if not full pantyhose. By the time I got to high school in the mid 1980s, it was pumps with jeans (or dresses, or skirts), so the sandal and hosiery thing was no longer a thing.

I could give other examples of fashion trends I did or did not like in my formative years--it's really a mixed bag, and then there are some things I've done an about face on between then and now. I don't mind Big Hair, but I've always hated bangs, especially with long hair. I like long fingernails, which was definitely a thing in the 80s, but I hate fake fingernails. I used to hate platform shoes, but now like them within some severe limitations, most of which Histiletto listed in his last post. I would definitely not look forward to seeing 70s style shoes everywhere again, but perhaps they would be preferable to Crocs?

Beginning as a well establishes two year old toddler, my footwear of choice were the black patent leather buckle strap shoes (now known as Mary Janes) 87a000.thumb.jpg.42a9d194ff49d856e4bcfcb8d69c26fd.jpg all though the high top training shoes were the footwear socially expected and bought for me. A couple of years passed and a pair of patent leather stiletto pointed toe pumps were worn 350842302_11311968ml_14_eduo_smaller.thumb.jpg.b629d693318cf561acb4b36b71f0085b.jpgand I couldn't see them enough. From then on these two types of footwear styles with patent leather finishes became the preferred footwear look that is essentially the bases for all my footwear choices, also with almond, oval, or round toe boxes along with a few suedes, satins, glitters, sequins, animal skins, prints and flowery lacings to offer more varieties in my texture and color options. Single soles have held the priority spot, but when platforms became streamline styled or hidden, less than 2 inches tall, and didn't look like after thought add-ons, I started to wear them also. 153784067__57Quilted_b.thumb.jpg.06f874d48e1f71a0ad0ac92b1d7bcebd.jpg     1930558473_YSLTributeTooCrocodile.jpg.8a7f465594bad107873a04691a9fdae5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 1:43 AM, VirginHeels said:

He is 5ft 8, she is about a inch shorter, he has a napoleon complex in the terms of no one he dates can be taller than he. There’s men who don’t like their woman taller than them.

In that case, rather than stopping her from wearing heels, maybe he should try wearing them too…

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...