how the heck did I do this....

https://imgur.com/5InPH87

https://imgur.com/iOutNJg

https://imgur.com/IF2HfIl

I thought I felt this heel to be a little weak the past few times I was out, but didn't pay much attention....Then, finally, after walking for a few miles I had a closer look...  How the heck did I wreck this heel like this?  I really don't tip back on the heels, at least not enough to do this.  It almost looks as though something actually cut the heel, but I don't know how that could have happened.  My long time cobbler has just retired, I am so hesitant to try a new cobbler in the hopes this can be fixed properly.  But, I guess I have no choice.  Wish there was some way I could insert a small rod or something like that up into the current heel just to stabilize it....I just don't have much confidence that the heel can be replaced and look original...I guess I was lucky the heel never actually gave out on me.  So happy I bought another pair of these exact boots a few years back and put them away....

Looks like the heel got clipped, like having a door close on it while getting in a car.

You might be able to take of the heel tip and put a rod (wood dowel) and then fill with some thing. but you need to do it to the other heel too so they feel the same when walking.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pebblesf said:

https://imgur.com/5InPH87

https://imgur.com/iOutNJg

https://imgur.com/IF2HfIl

I thought I felt this heel to be a little weak the past few times I was out, but didn't pay much attention....Then, finally, after walking for a few miles I had a closer look...  How the heck did I wreck this heel like this?  I really don't tip back on the heels, at least not enough to do this.  It almost looks as though something actually cut the heel, but I don't know how that could have happened. 

Done that befor as well. The steel tube used to hold the tip and to strengthen the shaft doesn't go all the way through the heel. You broke the heel at its termination point. New boots are in your future.

• Like 1

Good question, how DID you do that??  

I would get the heels replaced if that was possible....

The adventures and trials of wearing heels.....   Good luck....  sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

This was a new one on me. I've broken a lot of shoes in my time, but never like that! Krenzer's explanation makes sense, but I wonder how it could have managed to tear so cleanly? I would think the tear would have been much uglier looking. Also, I wonder if the damage at the bottom of the heel occurred at the same time. I'm guessing probably not, that's something pretty normal that happens to stilettos if you actually wear them.

I do not think it would be wise to attempt a repair with a wooden dowel, that would just snap in half again in short order, and even so, it has broken already where the original steel tube or rod ended anyhow. To remedy that would require a bit of engineering. You can fix anything if you're willing to throw enough time and money at it, it now becomes a question of whether it's worth it. I really don't see how it will ever look right without replacing the entire heel, if you can find one to match.

• Like 1

I'm more than willing to spend the money to have the heel replaced...I guess I just worry about the heel not being an exact replacement, or looking like crap.  I agree, the wooden dowl would snap off...Some sort of steel roll pin or threaded rod seems like the only viable heel "repair".  I guess I will just try a new cobbler, and see what he thinks.  

I just can't think of anything I did that would have split that heel like that.  I just had those heels tips replaced not too long ago, just wondering if the cobbler messed up the heel while doing the work, then tried to patch it back together....  I am usually very careful when walking, don't walk over grated city sidewalk surfaces, and avoid rough sidewalk surfaces whenever possible.  I think I would have remembered a mishap that could have led to such damage...

Oh well, will try a new cobbler...

On 9/3/2021 at 1:41 AM, Isolathor said:

But if put into service it wouldn´t be a backup anymore ... 😉

At this point, it's time to start looking for the backup to the backup! It would still be interesting to know exactly what happened, but I suppose we'll never know. If it happens again with the second pair, then we'll be on to something. I once had a pair of sandals I liked so much that I purchased three different pairs, and all three failed in the same way in surprisingly short order, usually right after I had spent money on them at the cobbler. I see a pair for sale from time to time, but thus far I've managed to avoid a fourth mistake.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2021 at 1:32 AM, mlroseplant said:

At this point, it's time to start looking for the backup to the backup! It would still be interesting to know exactly what happened, but I suppose we'll never know. If it happens again with the second pair, then we'll be on to something. I once had a pair of sandals I liked so much that I purchased three different pairs, and all three failed in the same way in surprisingly short order, usually right after I had spent money on them at the cobbler. I see a pair for sale from time to time, but thus far I've managed to avoid a fourth mistake.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect the cobbler accidentally damaged the heel while replacing the tips, then did his best to "repair" it....I am not one who leans back on my heels, and do my best to avoid road/sidewalk hazards.  I surely would have remembered getting the heel jammed enough to do that damage, not to mention probably would have tripped/fallen as well.   Oh well, will try to get them repaired...Then start looking for the "back up to the back up pair"!

8 hours ago, pebblesf said:

The more I think about it, the more I suspect the cobbler accidentally damaged the heel while replacing the tips, then did his best to "repair" it....I am not one who leans back on my heels, and do my best to avoid road/sidewalk hazards.  I surely would have remembered getting the heel jammed enough to do that damage, not to mention probably would have tripped/fallen as well.   Oh well, will try to get them repaired...Then start looking for the "back up to the back up pair"!

It's called fatigue. I doubt the cobbler had anything to do with it. I mentioned previously I've had an exact failure. High heels are by nature less stable and are stressed more than lower heels. Given enough reps (walking) eventually you'll break them.

21 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

It's called fatigue. I doubt the cobbler had anything to do with it.

That is my opinion as well. The inner part of the heel is most probably a injection molded piece of plastic, which sometimes has some air in it. Any bubble inside will weaken the part considerably, an example: if the mass of the part is decreased by 4% due to some air in it, the strength is reduced by 40%! And it will break at the position of the bubble.

• Like 1

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

• 3 weeks later...