Alas we don't actually get to see the heels

at9

When I've been in the US I've grown rather tired of the "I love your accent" remarks. Occasionally people said I was Australian. That was almost incitement to murder!  With all respect to antipodean members of HHP who, quite reasonably, have accents that reflect their country of origin.

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

It’s the New Zealand accent I find tough to listen to. The Land of the Murdered Vowel

Tell me about it. I teach one of the Les Mills programs in gym and every quarter I have to sit through one of their videos in Kiwi and watch it for weeks on end as I try and memorize the new chore

Edited by Chorlini

Basic pumps, really?

I wouldn't bring up this up if I were her. Easiest item of clothing other than a ball cap to put on. Most men however don't know how easy high heels really are to wear so her excuse gets empathy with me.

at9 : If the inquiry about accents sends you into a murderous rage, then how about this. Why don't you spell English the way you murder the language ? Also, What is wrong with Australia ?                   MikeDSCF5324.thumb.JPG.e0443835e5aa264b5b87ee3c74009b28.JPG

16 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Basic pumps, really?

I wouldn't bring up this up if I were her. Easiest item of clothing other than a ball cap to put on. Most men however don't know how easy high heels really are to wear so her excuse gets empathy with me.

Sometimes when the shoes are kinda tight though it takes a little more effort then just slipping them on to get them on. So I can see this happening. Or she had them standing upright, tried to slip in and one fell sideways.

11 hours ago, Isolathor said:

Well, this story tells me that she is doing the same procedure many women do, she is slipping off her pumps when nobody is (supposedly) seeing it.

That was what I thought.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, Shyheels said:

It’s the New Zealand accent I find tough to listen to. The Land of the Murdered Vowel

My 12 year old and I follow this brass music guy on Youtube who is from NZ. We are always laughing about controlling one's "eeah flow" (airflow), and the review of a horn that is in the key of "eef." (F). He made one video in a Southern American accent, which was actually pretty accurate. It was, of course, supposed to be humorous, and it was largely successful, but not nearly as funny as all the comments saying, "It's so weird to hear Trent with a normal accent."

I once travelled to Antarctica from New Zealand and recall hearing one of the loadmasters for the flight talking about "chicken". I was wondering what on earth he meant when it dawned on me that he was saying "check in" - as in for the flight.   

And.....   A while back I worked with two great guys, one was an Aussie and the other a Kiwi.  They always bantered back and forth who was best, Australia or New Zealand.  Of course I had to get into the fray and commented that I see no reason fro  them to "argue" constantly since they both talk the same and come from the same part of the world, down under.  That comment got them all rilled up and they directed their banter towards me.  Made for some fun times at work.  We all carried on and had a great time.  BTW, both them dudes were great aircraft mechanics as well....   Have fun, wherever you are from and whatever your accent...   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Years ago I started a new job and a customer came in that had a bit of an accent, I don't know from where, but he talked fast and murdered his words a bit. Anyway, I was trying to look up his account, and asked his name a couple times because i just wasn't getting it. Finally I asked him to write it down and handed him a pad and pen. He wrote down C. O. Thompson. The C. O. part was what was killing me. He pronounced it like it was one name, like " Sio" or something similar and of course they wasn't a Sio Thompson in the computer.

Accentwise we should count our blessings. With the rise of the modern nation state languages were pretty much standardized as central governments imposed one language on the entire nation, usually the dialect of the most important central region. And the funny accents we hear today are but pale shadows of the sometimes radically different dialects or even different languages that inhabited the periphery. You think its bad now? Go back a century or two and you'll understand why Latin or French was the lingua franca for the ruling and merchant classes throughout Europe.

Although it is both funny and interesting that a transplanted culture like Australia or New Zealand developed their own accents so relatively quickly.

The U.K. is a micro country yet accents across it are huge compared to the other "English" speaking countries. Pardon me for saying the "English are the most offensive of their own language".

Only an Englishman would say "phonetic spelling" shedual in place of skedual and skool in place of shool. Go figure.

Also, language evolves like anything else so slang is not a problem, it's evolutionary like it or not.

Edited by Jkrenzer

10 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

The U.K. is a micro country yet accents across it are huge compared to the other "English" speaking countries. Pardon me for saying the "English are the most offensive of their own language".

Only an Englishman would say "phonetic spelling" shedual in place of skedual and skool in place of shool. Go figure.

Also, language evolves like anything else so slang is not a problem, it's evolutionary like it or not.

Well, if you think about it, Oz and Kiwi-stan only had 2 centuries to develop their accents, and they usually had centralized education forcing a standard on the entire place reasonably from the start. England had millennia to develop its language, with a varied history of foreign invasions of Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans bringing their languages and culture along as well. With centralized education for the entire country only starting in the 19th century it's no wonder there is so much regional variations and accents. With local British accents being some of the hardest to understand for non-native speakers. Which is the case all over Europe by the way, cause even in the tiny Netherlands every city and even small town having its own accents still.

Edited by Chorlini

On 8/20/2021 at 4:28 PM, Jkrenzer said:

Then you go into Scotland and their 'English' is barely understandable. Try reading Robert Burns as he originally wrote his poems. 

4 hours ago, 5150PLB1 said:

Then you go into Scotland and their 'English' is barely understandable. Try reading Robert Burns as he originally wrote his poems. 

It is the same in Germany, if you go far to the north, south or east the language becomes not understandable if the "natives" speak to each other, only when they talk to "strangers" they make their accent more understandable. Interestingly if you go towards the west border there is no such thing. Maybe our "normal" german without(?) an accent stems close from there.

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)