Flying in heels

bambam

For the record, even though I am a pilot, I am not talking about flying as Pilot-In-Command. I have to fly back to Missouri tomorrow for my moms memorial, and I haven't yet had the guts to wear high heels during a flight. I figured tomorrow might be a nice chance to wear my 4 inch Calvin Klein booties with a pair of bootcut jeans, and keep my sneakers close just in case I  need to change, and/or I punk out. However, I'm not sure I want this to be my first time experimenting with air travel, which includes a layover in Dallas. Any ideas, or advice, or even nice examples of word vomit to go along with my fear and hesitation?

• Like 3

There is a first time for everything, and it sounds like as good a time as any to give it a go.  Despite there being a lot of people present, there are not really a lot of people that notice anything:

EB0A9D2E-59C9-4E2A-B98D-D07BDE88CFFE.thumb.jpeg.983ecf437d3211c852d201c195c4226d.jpeg

I've connected through DFW in heels before:

spacer.png

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, bambam said:

For the record, even though I am a pilot, I am not talking about flying as Pilot-In-Command. I have to fly back to Missouri tomorrow for my moms memorial, and I haven't yet had the guts to wear high heels during a flight. I figured tomorrow might be a nice chance to wear my 4 inch Calvin Klein booties with a pair of bootcut jeans, and keep my sneakers close just in case I  need to change, and/or I punk out. However, I'm not sure I want this to be my first time experimenting with air travel, which includes a layover in Dallas. Any ideas, or advice, or even nice examples of word vomit to go along with my fear and hesitation?

Can't offer any advice that will settle your nerves. You have to experience it being a non-issue to believe it's a non-issue. Agreed to carry your sneakers, you'll be awkward, will help knowing you have a fall back. Now you'll just need to resist falling back. Also, own it, I guess is advice afterall.

There was a video clip posted on YouTube recently  showing a man wearing heels passing through an airport in Florida.  I believe he was also wearing a skirt which would greatly enhance his “noticeability.”  However, in your case, as has been mentioned, people will be paying more attention to their business than to what others are wearing when rushing to catching their flights.  While people are bound to notice at some point, I doubt that they will bother to comment.  Chances of being noticed will be greater while you are sitting in a waiting area between flights.  In my experience with wearing heels while traveling, chances are about even that you will be or not be noticed.  If you are, so what?  

• Like 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

People in airports are off in their own worlds. You could probably wear a deep sea diving suit and a third of them wouldn’t notice a thing 

Given that there is still a pandemic in airports and airplanes, that is not too far off my outfit of choice these days.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 1

I've been flying with 4 inch heels for at least 6 years, both national and international. The pilot has never come on and announced, "take a look at the heels the guy in seat 17a is sporting."

If your booties have zippers you will need to take them off. No big deal.

Sorry to hear of your loss @bambam

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bambam said:

I agree with all of the comments that people are off in there own world and most won’t notice. For the last few years my travel attire has been Lululemon outfit of jacket shirt and leggings with Sorel ankle or knee boots.  I will say I get noticed but nothing said and definitely not YouTube worthy.  I have on 3 occasions wore 4” block heels, riding boots and stilettos but with jeans.  No skirts on the plane, I’m always cold on the flight and don’t want to freeze my balls off lol.  I did not carry another pair of shoes as at this point in time I could care less what others think.   Again, at the end of the day 99.9 percent of people could care less especially theses days. 

I have said in the past, “ I’m not here for a long time, I’m here  for a good time!”

Adding, I have tsa precheck and sometimes the shoes come off and sometimes they don’t   Not a big deal for me to take off my wedge Sorels or heeled shoes or boots, agents have never looked smirked commented. I’m sure they have seen it all and more.  A guy in heels is no big deal to them. 

Edited by CAT
  • Like 2

Same for me. I always travel in heels. Better to wear shoes that are easy to take off and on at the check 

I also always carry a pair of sneakers with me. In case of a broken heel,a sudden need to rush and immigration in some places. 

I would say airports are the best place for heels lovers. Good surfaces and no one cares. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bambam said:

Well, am so sorry to hear about your Mom buddy...Given your current emotional load, perhaps it is not the best time to challenge yourself this way.  I work for AA, but like to keep my personal life separate from my work life.  Yes, crewmembers have noticed my boots a few times on layovers, but only because I happened upon them accidentally.  I'm sure there has been "galley chatter" on my boots, but that is to be considered normal.  

Maybe you might want to consider a lower heel pair of block heel boots, to minimize your nervousness in an already tough situation....Post some pictures of possibilities if you aren't already travelling...I'm flying through Dallas tomorrow, 5/19, would be cool to meet if our schedules intersect...D

• Like 1

You might want flats for TSA, and dragging bags around wearing 4” heels can be less fun then you would hope, but no one cares.

F8A599E0-2353-48D3-9081-925966842A52.jpeg

• Like 8

(formerly known as "JimC")

6 hours ago, bambam said:

Thanks everyone, I went with a slightly lower pair of Frye ankle boots with my bootcut jeans. Still, I’m 6’1” barefoot, so lots of looks and stares, no way around that, but I feel pretty good. Slight delay, so just walked around the terminal, and read a little. Layover in Dallas, and my sister is actually flying American, I’m on southwest. I’ll be back in the air next Monday, but a direct flight, on the Max, no less!

I’ll see if I can’t get you guys a photo at my layover. 

A7294472-4F5F-4FEE-B097-0181CEFC5281.jpeg

Liking that look!!

• Like 2

Great looking outfit Bambam....  Good for you!  Glad your flights went OK.  You must feel pretty good about facing your fears head on, the reward is the great feeling of liberation and confidence.   Sure, there will be a few looks, but that is to be expected....  You just have to remember that there probably were a number of guys that wanted to have a closer look, but afraid to, for all the usual societal reasons.  Just know they were secretly envious.  

I fly the max all the time for work now, haven't had any passenger tantrums yet.  Same old 737 on the inside, with too many seats, and lavs that you have to side step into.  I can tell the difference in the engines though, sound different and obviously more powerful.  Aside from that, I will keep my opinions to myself about Boeing and the FAA.  I do feel confident that our guys have been adequately trained to handle any future "MCAS" takeovers....

• Like 2

I won’t lie, landing in St. Louis, I got a quite a lot of interesting and interested looks from people, especially young women. In a place where work boots are the standard for men, I must have been interesting to look at, at an airport, no less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bambam said:

I won’t lie, landing in St. Louis, I got a quite a lot of interesting and interested looks from people, especially young women. In a place where work boots are the standard for men, I must have been interesting to look at, at an airport, no less. 

Well done mate, on stretching your comfort zone. Did you feel ok with the attention?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Well done mate, on stretching your comfort zone. Did you feel ok with the attention?

It was alright, certainly a couple weird moments, especially when under gaze from the more attractive people I saw, but my heart rate stayed low enough. Felt good! Might do on the way back.

• Like 5

You’re looking great in those boots.  St. Louis is my old stomping ground, I wore my boots with 3.5” heels around all week when I was up there last year, and no one said anything.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bambam said:

It was alright, certainly a couple weird moments, especially when under gaze from the more attractive people I saw, but my heart rate stayed low enough. Felt good! Might do on the way back.

You were under the gaze "from more attractive people" cuz they were envious buddy....Where em again on the way home...  Feeling good is the reward indeed...

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Spareheels.....   I wear gals sandals most all the time, both flats and heels, have been for years.  I keep my feet looking nice with pedicures and polish.  I think it looks very nice and aside from a few - very few - positive comments, no one seems to notice or care.  Have fun...   sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 6 months later...

So, now thinking about Pumps on the flight I'm going to take next week...

Could do knee high boots as well, since there is going to be walking, but might want to wear them inside my jeans, rather than outside skinny jeans or leggings, as I don't want to push too hard too fast. 

• Like 1

I’d take ankle boots to be honest. Quickest and easiest way to get through security. Knee high boots would be okay, as long as they can be slipped on and off quick and efficiently enough.

• Like 2

I found it awkward taking off my pull on knee boots while standing in the queue. There was no place to sit and remove them. There are seats in the other side of security but none as you approach the metal detectors. My pull on knee boots fit beautifully but take a bit of effort to remove.

Its been more than two years since I’ve flown anywhere, but at least not I have knee boots with ankle zips.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bambam said:

Could do knee high boots as well, since there is going to be walking, but might want to wear them inside my jeans, rather than outside skinny jeans or leggings, as I don't want to push too hard too fast. 

I wear knee high boots with 4" heels when flying, and I can get them on and off quickly at security checkpoints without having to sit down.  Some pairs I even wear outside my pants, as it is quicker to slip them on over the pants rather than taking the time to pull the pant legs up and down again.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VirginHeels said:

I’d take ankle boots to be honest. Quickest and easiest way to get through security. Knee high boots would be okay, as long as they can be slipped on and off quick and efficiently enough.

Yeah, would love to challenge myself with pumps, but maybe boots are still a better option for the unknown...

• Like 2