Flying in heels

bambam

4 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

Poland  isn’t renowned for being the most open mind country in Europe with the LGTBQ community! 

Well, I'm not saying the guy deserved to be knocked out, but he was asking for trouble not cooperating and slapping the inspector.  Never a good idea, regardless of the country...

• Like 1

Heelers : Are there any members of HHPlace who can translate what was said by the people on that video . The dude did have on some bitchen heels . Authority figures should be more like that in the good old U.S.A.          Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spikesmike said:

Heelers : Are there any members of HHPlace who can translate what was said by the people on that video . The dude did have on some bitchen heels . Authority figures should be more like that in the good old U.S.A.          Mike

Yeah, I would love a translation also.  But, I'm sure there was some bias/bashing/homophobic stuff going on in that officer's head the helped fuel such a violent reaction.  Perhaps the guard was embarrassed because the fellow slapped and got away from him, so he needed to show he was the boss of this situation to shore up his male ego.  Who knows..

But, I would agree, our country needs more respect for law and order, and there needs to be consequences for failing to cooperate.  Our country just can't seem to adopt any "middle of the road" ideas/procedures/laws...  We seem to always be at one extreme or the other.  But, who am I to talk.  I told some TSA little jerk to "screw off" the other day while trying to get through crew security entrance.  I'm sure I will hear about it when I go back to work though.  

9 hours ago, pebblesf said:

But, I would agree, our country needs more respect for law and order, and there needs to be consequences for failing to cooperate.  Our country just can't seem to adopt any "middle of the road" ideas/procedures/laws...  We seem to always be at one extreme or the other.  But, who am I to talk.  I told some TSA little jerk to "screw off" the other day while trying to get through crew security entrance.  I'm sure I will hear about it when I go back to work though.  

I feel like in many situations people value equality over fairness.  It's the "if I have to suffer then everyone else must suffer too" attitude.  I'd be ok with the crew bypassing TSA completely, I think it's fair because they're the ones flying the plane every day, and this is their livelihood.  But I bet some people would resent any exemption.  

• Like 1

All, Had to watch video and read entire thread to get the whole perspective. What follows is my observation based upon 31 years in immigration as a border patrol agent, an inspector at a land border crossing and 16 years at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport some of which was as a supervisor. Nearly all countries recognize their borders, airports and seaports as unique zones where the government has exclusive authority to conduct border security which includes examination of passengers and baggage. It’s known as “border search authority “ and, in the USA, is contained in INA Sec 235.1. Whilst passengers are owed professionalism in the exercise of border inspections they are NOT given a pass if they slap, obstruct, or assault bystanders in a border area. I have been in some 40 countries and went to Poland twice on official business. Poland arose from the yoke of Communism to become a thoughtful and model democracy of some 38 million people. The country is clean, secure, and filled with people who love freedom and are tough as nails under adversity. That guy wasn’t knocked down because he was wearing heels rather because he assaulted a federal officer. It is standard law enforcement procedure for anyone assaulting an officer to be taken to the ground. Many members have related their stories wearing heels while flying or crossing borders and never had a problem. They weren’t harassed for their footwear. They also didn’t slap anyone. Borders are serious places. Places such as Ben Gurion Airport, the Turkey-Syria border, Moscow’s Sheremeteva Airport, and Heathrow Airport are some I can remember outside the US where it looks serious and is serious. All borders should be taken seriously whether you think so. This guy, yes those heels are amazing, didn’t take it seriously and suffered the consequence. That’s my opinion based upon a career which I retired from in 2018. But I still cross borders! HappyinHeels 

Edited by HappyinHeels
Omission
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I feel like in many situations people value equality over fairness.  It's the "if I have to suffer then everyone else must suffer too" attitude.  I'd be ok with the crew bypassing TSA completely, I think it's fair because they're the ones flying the plane every day, and this is their livelihood.  But I bet some people would resent any exemption.  

My issue is that we do have a special line where we show our ID's they are checked and we are passed through.  But, for some reason, it was decided to do "random screening" on us.  In other words, we show up at our screening point, wait our turn, have our IDs checked, then get told we must go to regular screening because we have been chosen for "random screening".  Well, let just say I was having a particularly bad day the other day.  I waited my turn then was told I was again chosen for random screening, this would be the third time I was "chosen randomly" on this one three day trip.  Doesn't sound very random to me, I think the little SOB did it on purpose because I scanned my ID before he told me to do so.  This is what prompted to tell him to "screw off".  Now, I had to return to the other side of the terminal and get in the regular screening line, having to "excuse myself" to the front of the line, upsetting regular passengers.  And I get it, I don't like "cutting in front" of people that have been waiting, they have flights to catch also.  

Let's just say, that in a little over a year, I will retire.  My first mission will be to go to a large news station and expose the TSA screening for the farce that it is.  Enough said.  D

9 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

All, Had to watch video and read entire thread to get the whole perspective. What follows is my observation based upon 31 years in immigration as a border patrol agent, an inspector at a land border crossing and 16 years at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport some of which was as a supervisor. Nearly all countries recognize their borders, airports and seaports as unique zones where the government has exclusive authority to conduct border security which includes examination of passengers and baggage. It’s known as “border search authority “ and, in the USA, is contained in INA Sec 235.1. Whilst passengers are owed professionalism in the exercise of border inspections they are NOT given a pass if they slap, obstruct, or assault bystanders in a border area. I have been in some 40 countries and went to Poland twice on official business. Poland arose from the yoke of Communism to become a thoughtful and model democracy of some 38 million people. The country is clean, secure, and filled with people who love freedom and are tough as nails under adversity. That guy wasn’t knocked down because he was wearing heels rather because he assaulted a federal officer. It is standard law enforcement procedure for anyone assaulting an officer to be taken to the ground. Many members have related their stories wearing heels while flying or crossing borders and never had a problem. They weren’t harassed for their footwear. They also didn’t slap anyone. Borders are serious places. Places such as Ben Gurion Airport, the Turkey-Syria border, Moscow’s Sheremeteva Airport, and Heathrow Airport are some I can remember outside the US where it looks serious and is serious. All borders should be taken seriously whether you think so. This guy, yes those heels are amazing, didn’t take it seriously and suffered the consequence. That’s my opinion based upon a career which I retired from in 2018. But I still cross borders! HappyinHeels 

Yep, he was asking for trouble, and got it for sure.  

21 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I have recommended that they give us our own screening line, and do the complete screening on all crewmembers if we are that suspect.  At least this way, we would know what to expect, and minimal time would be wasted waiting in two lines.  Needless to say, no one wants to pay for machines and screeners just to screen us shady crewmembers.  Much easier to waste our time, and force us to inconvenience regular passengers by having us cut in front of them in line.   I could go on and on, but better stop if I value my job.  Just a year left.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Whilst passengers are owed professionalism in the exercise of border inspections they are NOT given a pass if they slap, obstruct, or assault bystanders in a border area.

In my limited experience (and based upon that of others), US border officials are not noted for their understanding, patience or good humour.   I can quite understand an adverse reaction to being 'slapped' by a passenger, but is there really justification for a knock-out blow?   If they are also armed (are they??), I hate to think what might also happen.   In the UK, I think it likely that a similar incident would result in detention (handcuffs?), courtesy of the nearest police officer summoned by the border official.   (I hope to fly out of London Gatwick in less than a fortnight - not in heels! - and will keep all this in mind.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

In my limited experience (and based upon that of others), US border officials are not noted for their understanding, patience or good humour.   I can quite understand an adverse reaction to being 'slapped' by a passenger, but is there really justification for a knock-out blow?   If they are also armed (are they??), I hate to think what might also happen.   In the UK, I think it likely that a similar incident would result in detention (handcuffs?), courtesy of the nearest police officer summoned by the border official.   (I hope to fly out of London Gatwick in less than a fortnight - not in heels! - and will keep all this in mind.)

These officials are humans, just like the rest of us, subject to the stresses and strains that might affect all of us.  Dealing with the public, on its best day, is a "challenge", to say the least.  Nonetheless, detaining and handcuffing this "passenger" would seem like a more appropriate response.  But, I wasn't there, so can not judge.  Perhaps the man was about to escape from the border patrol portal into a public space, maybe he had to be stopped using any means possible.  Perhaps he should be thankful he was shot.  Again, we were not there, so can't judge fairly.  

• Like 1

Don-pebblesf : I thought you said you were coming here to try-on some of my stiletto high heels once you retire .In future days you could get a part time job with TSA wearing high heels while on the job . Maybe we could both get a job with TSA and become the most beloved-famous high heel baggage handlers in the country . They could call us the airport stiletto team . Mike         Keep your heels and standerds high .DSCF5363.thumb.JPG.04b783383f4e48089e755afa83c145a5.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 6/5/2022 at 3:16 PM, spikesmike said:

Don-pebblesf : I thought you said you were coming here to try-on some of my stiletto high heels once you retire .In future days you could get a part time job with TSA wearing high heels while on the job . Maybe we could both get a job with TSA and become the most beloved-famous high heel baggage handlers in the country . They could call us the airport stiletto team . Mike         Keep D heels and standerds high .DSCF5363.thumb.JPG.04b783383f4e48089e755afa83c145a5.JPG

Mike-  Still trying for another columbus layoer for sure.  D

• 2 months later...

A week back had to go on an 8h flight. Wore some 4.5" chunky heeled shoes with jeans that go above the ankle. Jeans did nothing to cover the heels. Heels were like this but in brown:

IMOJEN - BLACK | Boots | Ted Baker US

At security, everyone is walking through the detector with their shoes on, so I line up. When it's my turn, the guard points to my shoes, tells me to put it through the xray. Did. No problems at all at any time during the flight. It was fun!

On the way back didn't feel like wearing heels, so ended up wearing black opaque tights with a black mini-skirt. Was super comfortable. :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hiddenheels said:

A week back had to go on an 8h flight. Wore some 4.5" chunky heeled shoes with jeans that go above the ankle. Jeans did nothing to cover the heels. Heels were like this but in brown:

IMOJEN - BLACK | Boots | Ted Baker US

At security, everyone is walking through the detector with their shoes on, so I line up. When it's my turn, the guard points to my shoes, tells me to put it through the xray. Did. No problems at all at any time during the flight. It was fun!

On the way back didn't feel like wearing heels, so ended up wearing black opaque tights with a black mini-skirt. Was super comfortable. :)

Cool!  I am amused when the screeners look confused when my bag passes through, trying to figure out/match my bag with its owner.  

Almost every shoe I have has metal somewhere on it. Taking off my heels is something I'm accustomed to doing, it's the double take from the screeners that I find comical.  I upgrade on long haul flights so I fit comfortably. 

The smallest clearance between rows was many moons ago on a Cathy Pacific flight between Manila and Hong Kong where my knees were pinned to the seat in front of me the whole time.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

I suspect the vast majority of these so-called 'double takes' are products of the imagination. Screeners are just watching endless numbers of items going through on a conveyor belt, with little immediate sense sense of what belongs to who, or caring. I have to put my camera gear through the machine all the time, and it regularly gets pulled over for additional sceening  and the security people have no immediate idea who it belongs to. They just look towards the group of people whove just stepped through the metal detectirs with a questin in their eyes and the bag in their hand. Had it not been pulled over for additional screening nobody would have given least thought to linking the contents with any one person. THey just don't care. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hiddenheels said:

What's so special about those? Just the scene it causes?

My worry with something like this is actually fitting into the seat. :)

You got that right for sure.  Thought we were being smart by booking a non stop flight from Boston to Honolulu.  What a mistake.  I felt like hacking my legs off at the thighs, what torture that was.  

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I suspect the vast majority of these so-called 'double takes' are products of the imagination. Screeners are just watching endless numbers of items going through on a conveyor belt, with little immediate sense sense of what belongs to who, or caring. I have to put my camera gear through the machine all the time, and it regularly gets pulled over for additional Tsceening  and the security people have no immediate idea who it belongs to. They just look towards the group of people whove just stepped through the metal detectirs with a questin in their eyes and the bag in their hand. Had it not been pulled over for additional screening nobody would have given least thought to linking the contents with any one person. THey just don't care. 

True, they don't really care for the most part.  But, there have been occasions, when the line was empty/light when they have looked and asked me:  "is this your bag"?  I'm assuming they were confused by seeing the tall boots inside, concluding they couldn't belong to me....

• 1 month later...

Flying back home to the UK today after a 1 week holiday with my mum in Florida. I wore my doc martens going to the US and I decided to wear them going back home.

Got 2 compliments: one from the check in lady on my doc marten high heel boots; she liked my choker and liked my look. Then another staff member in the departure lounge on my boots. She asked how much they were and I said around £80 ($75(?)).

IMG_20221007_172232_(1000_x_450_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

On 10/7/2022 at 10:26 PM, AlexC94 said:

Flying back home to the UK today after a 1 week holiday with my mum in Florida. I wore my doc martens going to the US and I decided to wear them going back home.

Got 2 compliments: one from the check in lady on my doc marten high heel boots; she liked my choker and liked my look. Then another staff member in the departure lounge on my boots. She asked how much they were and I said around £80 ($75(?)).

IMG_20221007_172232_(1000_x_450_pixel).jpg

Meant to say 2 weeks not 1 but whatever 

On 10/7/2022 at 11:26 PM, AlexC94 said:

You could lay roof tiles in those! Or Climb Everest.  Very sensible pair of heels, no doubt.

• Thanks 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Had a pair of those Doc's I quite liked, and hell yes, they are good for running steam engines or building aircraft carriers. Didn't hold on to to them, I feel our time had ended, but they're still a fond memory. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kneehighs said:

You could lay roof tiles in those! Or Climb Everest.  Very sensible pair of heels, no doubt.

I've had several pairs of high heeled Docs, and they are quite sensible, other than being a little too squidgy for my taste. I cannot speak for the stiletto version they made for a short while, but the chunky heeled ones are quite sturdy, except for one thing: You ain't gonna be climbing Everest, or making it through an Iowa winter, because after just a few cycles of going through extreme cold, the sole splits in half transversely under the ball of your foot. Had this not happened to me several times, I would have chalked it up to being a fluke. I quit buying the things years ago. Alex, being from the UK, is unlikely to experience this problem.

That’s interesting. Over here they have a reputation for being very sturdy and long wearing, but the of course we don’t have any severe cold weather. It would seem to be a problem they could rectify easily enough if they chose to 

12 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

That’s interesting. Over here they have a reputation for being very sturdy and long wearing, but the of course we don’t have any severe cold weather. It would seem to be a problem they could rectify easily enough if they chose to 

I'm not the only one to have this problem. Even the "non-fashion" versions seem to suffer the same fate. When I say severe cold, I'm talking fairly extreme. I can distinctly remember this happening twice (with identical pairs of boots) when I had a job where I had to walk about 1/4 mile to get to my work area, and it was somewhere around -20º C. Not something you hope to see in the UK. Or Florida, for that matter.

I've only ever had one pair of DMs: ordinary lace-up work boots (of the same pattern often favoured by UK police officers).   Comfortable to wear and with a sturdy sole/heel unit, I think of polyurethane.   But the soft leather uppers proved too easy to damage when worn for even light work; the toes wore through simply with kneeling, which was disappointing.   They are now just kept for rough work in the garden.