Flying in heels

bambam

7 hours ago, bambam said:

Yeah, would love to challenge myself with pumps, but maybe boots are still a better option for the unknown...

I’d go with the boots you have in your album that you have on with your pedalboard as your background, if they have a nice zip at the side.

• Like 1

Same for me. Ankle boots with zippers or Chelsea boots. Often the person at the check asks if these boots in the basket are mine. 

Spoiler

Here is a very easy pair to slip off and on at the security check 

Chelsea boots with elastics 

9500E33D-A355-4B0B-93D7-8D4C39865BF1.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

Same for me. Ankle boots with zippers or Chelsea boots. Often the person at the check asks if these boots in the basket are mine. 

Reveal hidden contents

Here is a very easy pair to slip off and on at the security check 

Chelsea boots with elastics 

9500E33D-A355-4B0B-93D7-8D4C39865BF1.jpeg

Yeah buddy!  Those kick !@@ boots mean business!  Perfect jeans also

Edited by pebblesf
addition
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cali said:

I would avoid stilettoes because airport floors are usually slick.

I agree, you want to have a fairly solid footing, especially while going through security.  One time I was going through customs in Cancun where us crewmembers get much more scrutiny than regular tourists.  The customs agent asked me if I was carrying the boots in my bag for someone else.  I told him they were mine, he looked at me strangely thinking I was trying to get away with something.  I offered to try them on for him, he closed the bag and sent me on my way....  I'm sure he and his buddys had a few laughs at my expense afterwards

• Like 3

It seems my answer has been wiped off 

These zipped boots are US 12 W 

I never got any reactions ( is that a good or a bad sign?) except as Pebblest, a guy from the security check who asked if these boots in the basket were mine. 

• Like 4

Pierre, those are far too high for me to do anything at all in, but they're gorgeous. 

I'll be on Spirit going in, and Alaskan coming back out. 

Probably gonna be knee high frye boots, black version of my avatar, or ankle boots of some kind. No way I will wear the black ones over the pedal board, they are so uncomfortable, they're just cool for rock gigs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

It seems my answer has been wiped off 

These zipped boots are US 12 W 

I never got any reactions ( is that a good or a bad sign?) except as Pebblest, a guy from the security check who asked if these boots in the basket were mine. 

Those boots are awesome.  I would wear them for daily’s.   I do love the stilettos but those are awesome.   I haven’t had anyone at the tsa check ask if the heels are mine. Guess they figured it out when I was walking thru in a skirt!!! Lol.  I did have a great conversation with a female tsa agent in Tampa.  I also always have the metal detector go off and get sent thru the scan and the pat down.   They  will always ask if I want i male or female do the pat down.  I say it doesn’t matter, unless there is good looking female one then I ask fir the female.  I think it’s the knee replacements that set off the metal detectors but it’s not.  It’s sometimes the clothing and my right shoulder which is all OEM parts.  I was told that the level of the equipment and the checking varies by the volume of the airport. More in Chicago then in Tampa, but who knows. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, CAT said:

Those boots are awesome.  I would wear them for daily’s.   I do love the stilettos but those are awesome.   I haven’t had anyone at the tsa check ask if the heels are mine. Guess they figured it out when I was walking thru in a skirt!!! Lol.  I did have a great conversation with a female tsa agent in Tampa.  I also always have the metal detector go off and get sent thru the scan and the pat down.   They  will always ask if I want i male or female do the pat down.  I say it doesn’t matter, unless there is good looking female one then I ask fir the female.  I think it’s the knee replacements that set off the metal detectors but it’s not.  It’s sometimes the clothing and my right shoulder which is all OEM parts.  I was told that the level of the equipment and the checking varies by the volume of the airport. More in Chicago then in Tampa, but who knows. 

Yes, the level of sensitivity surely does vary, I think they can adjust the settings on those "magnetometers".   I ask them "tell me what is setting it off" also, but never get any real answers

• Like 1

I have never flown in heels, but I would like to someday. But if it doesn't happen, it's not a big deal. Getting in a tin can with a couple hundred other people is not the thrill it used to be.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2022 at 11:11 AM, Pierre1961 said:

Same for me. But walking in airports wearing heels  is still a great moment! 

YOU ARE SOOOOO RIGHT!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 9:09 PM, Jkrenzer said:

Flown in heels many times. The only thing that matters is your shoes are a bit loose to start. Your feet naturally swell at altitude and comfort is key.

Ain't that the truth! It might also explain why you see so many international flight attendants who are heel popping out of their pumps walking through airports. The shoes probably fit correctly by the time they reach their destination!

On 5/7/2022 at 11:11 AM, Pierre1961 said:

Same for me. But walking in airports wearing heels  is still a great moment! 

I think that is what most people do not understand. We actually enjoy walking in heels. Nobody believes us. I will keep the secret, I promise!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Yes, wearing heels is enjoyable, and dare I say fun.  But I would never wear heels, sandals, anything but a closed shoe while flying.  In case of an emergency and you need to evacuate immediately (preferably running to escape the danger), wearing a secure shoe is a must.  Fashion be damned, I change into my heels upon my safe arrival.  Enjoy your heels...   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Also I noticed that if there is ever an emergency evacuation that requires evacuation using the inflatable slide rafts, stilettoes have to be taken off as they can puncture the raft.  But such emergencies are rare and I imagine I would have many other things to fret over than having to leave my high heels behind.  I enjoy wearing heels on the plane.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 1

Well, I guess the answer here is a sensible balance between fashion and safety.  Needless to say, if I was travelling as a passenger while wearing my stiletto boots, there would not be time to get those boots off in an "unplanned emergency", especially if I was sitting in an aisle seat where my delay would delay two other passengers as well.  Block heeled boots are not likely to damage the heavy duty slides/rafts.  Fire in the cabin is likely to be a bigger issue, so wearing clothes that cover well and are not easily incinerated is very important in an emergency.  Sitting near a door exit is going to help.   Window exits are good also, provided people sitting in those rows are actually smart and strong enough to get the exits open.  A good shot of adrenaline and some luck always helps.   Always take the time to review safety procedures and exit locations relative to your seat.  

Edited by pebblesf
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Stilettos won't easily puncture the slides, they're military grade composites with skins thicker than an elk. Also, I came down with covid, so I stayed home.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bambam said:

Stilettos won't easily puncture the slides, they're military grade composites with skins thicker than an elk. Also, I came down with covid, so I stayed home.

Sure hope you are OK buddy, please take good care...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bambam said:

Fine, not even close to my worst respiratory infections, but still surreal. Lots of pins and needles, no sleep.

I hear that buddy.  I was so scared when I got it in October of 2020, before any vaccinations were available.  I was blessed in that whatever version of the virus I had was very mild indeed.  

On 5/13/2022 at 5:24 PM, bambam said:

EB318000-E9B5-4876-9031-DE8FC997A7DB.png

• Haha 2

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 2 weeks later...

It is not really clear what is happening here, other than an apparent refusal of a man in heels to comply with airport security.   You have been warned!

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

It is not really clear what is happening here, other than an apparent refusal of a man in heels to comply with airport security.   You have been warned!

Oh boy, he's down and out on the count of one.  Yipes!