Shoes for polishing the flooring or destroying it?

Isolathor

That is funny! 

We had the hardwood floors in our house refinished, red oak. The refinishers left us a list of dos and don'ts. My wife picked up on the "no high heels" part and mentioned it me. I told her that isn't going to happen! After all, I have been wearing heels on these floors for a few years on never did any damage, so why stop now! A softer wood I might be more concerned. I have been wearing heels on the newly finished floors and i can't see any heel dents. I don't have any steel tip heels either, all are fairly normal hard plastic tipped.

Usually, soft tipped (rubber, nylon) stilettos heels do not damage hardwood floors, especially floors made using well seasoned oak boards.  As you point out,  metal tipped stilettos, capped with steel heel pads are the styles that usually cause damage.  We had the floors in our house in Charleston that was built back in the 1860s, refinished as a final task in our restoration project.  After the refinishing was finished, my wife also laid down the law about my walking on them while wearing heels.  Her concern was more about the cost of repairing any damage after our having spent a fortune to have them restored.  

Edited by Bubba136
Typo

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

11 hours ago, 5150PLB1 said:

With a pair of the smooth soled slippers on the left, you can turn your indoor polished hardwood or linoleum floors into a skating rink.

We had 2 pairs to polish the flooring, so we had some fun doing that together! 😁

On the other hand, the metaltips on the heels with their diameter and her weight would bring a pressure of about 4400psi to the flooring .....

Edited by Isolathor

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

11 hours ago, Isolathor said:

We had 2 pairs to polish the flooring, so we had some fun doing that together! 😁

On the other hand, the metaltips on the heels with their diameter and her weight would bring a pressure of about 4400psi to the flooring .....

That would do it.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

23 hours ago, Isolathor said:

I didn't realize that you Germans used psi. I thought you were better than that! 😆😆😆 Seriously, though, my wife is from Vietnam, and though she's lived in the U.S. for 13 years, the one unit of backward measurement she's never learned is temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. Therefore, I have gotten very good at translating Celcius to Fahrenheit and vice versa in my head. However, I cannot say the same about psi ---> kPa.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I didn't realize that you Germans used psi. I thought you were better than that! 😆😆😆 Seriously, though, my wife is from Vietnam, and though she's lived in the U.S. for 13 years, the one unit of backward measurement she's never learned is temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. Therefore, I have gotten very good at translating Celcius to Fahrenheit and vice versa in my head. However, I cannot say the same about psi ---> kPa.

Being part of the aviation industry for more than 4 decades i´m familiar with psi, but pressure is a little bit complicated in Germany. In school and in science we use the SI-unit "Pa" (Pascal) for pressure, but there are still other old systems of measurement floating around with the older generations. We had the physical atmosphere "atm", the technical atmosphere "at", the atmosphere overpressure "atü"  and the "Torr" (based on quicksilver). What we still have as a legal system is the "Bar" as a system to simplify the "Pa"values. The normal atmospheric pressure is 1013,25hpa or 1013,25mbar, so 1bar is 100000Pa and 1bar is roughly the normal atmospheric pressure.

The mentioned 4400 psi would equate to around 300 bar (300times the atmospheric pressure), just divide the psi value by 14,504 (or 15 for a quick glance). For Pa you have to add a zero 5 times (30.000.000Pa or 30MPa).

A heeltip can do severe damage, so be careful where you set your heel! Here is what even a larger heeltip can do:

1533107531_DSC_1587a_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.bc173cb17bc3e51d34e94ade577963de.JPG

1225724615_DSC_1596_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.cf942dfc0e5566b6b2d70aff5d713cd3.JPG

Edited by Isolathor
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Isolathor said:

Being part of the aviation industry for more than 4 decades i´m familiar with psi, but pressure is a little bit complicated in Germany. In school and in science we use the SI-unit "Pa" (Pascal) for pressure, but there are still other old systems of measurement floating around with the older generations. We had the physical atmosphere "atm", the technical atmosphere "at", the atmosphere overpressure "atü"  and the "Torr" (based on quicksilver). What we still have as a legal system is the "Bar" as a system to simplify the "Pa"values. The normal atmospheric pressure is 1013,25hpa or 1013,25mbar, so 1bar is 100000Pa and 1bar is roughly the normal atmospheric pressure.

The mentioned 4400 psi would equate to around 300 bar (300times the atmospheric pressure), just divide the psi value by 14,504 (or 15 for a quick glance). For Pa you have to add a zero 5 times (30.000.000Pa or 30MPa).

A heeltip can do severe damage, so be careful where you set your heel! Here is what even a larger heeltip can do:

1533107531_DSC_1587a_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.bc173cb17bc3e51d34e94ade577963de.JPG

1225724615_DSC_1596_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.cf942dfc0e5566b6b2d70aff5d713cd3.JPG

That sure beats what you see posted on the wet and messy website!

• Like 1

Hey Isolathor, when are we going to see you in a pair of heels? My wife and I have matching heels, boots and skimmer flats. We also have and wear matching leggings.There are other guys on this site that wear heels together, with their spouses. How about you?

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Hey Isolathor, when are we going to see you in a pair of heels?

I guess it won´t happen, because there are no heels in this house that would fit me. I´ve tried some fitting heels at meetings and didn´t get the hang on it, so i stick with admiring what others wear. 🤪

Anyway, have fun in heels!

8 hours ago, Isolathor said:

I guess it won´t happen, because there are no heels in this house that would fit me. I´ve tried some fitting heels at meetings and didn´t get the hang on it, so i stick with admiring what others wear. 🤪

Anyway, have fun in heels!

Just buy your own size, then they will fit you! Try wearing heels yourself, you'll probably like it,  just like I did, over 20 years ago.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

5 hours ago, bluejay said:

Try wearing heels yourself, you'll probably like it,  just like I did, over 20 years ago.

I´ve tried 40 years ago, and several times after that. But for me it doesn´t work.

1 hour ago, bluejay said:

Too Bad!

Why? I have my share of heels from 4" to 5" almost every day, worn by my favourite lady. Does not wearing them myself make me an unwanted person? 😢

3 hours ago, Isolathor said:

Why? I have my share of heels from 4" to 5" almost every day, worn by my favourite lady. Does not wearing them myself make me an unwanted person? 😢

I for one love your contributions. I admire heels on other people but just happen to wear them too. You don't have to wear heels to be a fan.