Hello Heels... My old friends... [Sunday Times Article | UK]

VirginHeels

I just don't see it happen. Too many young women who grow up never wearing heels but who think wearing clunky army boots, or as my brother calls them, clown shoes, with short skirts or tight leggings is perfectly acceptable. Heels have been fighting a losing battle for decades, and the occasional uptrend by some fashionistas does not stop or the downwards trend. When I grew up in the 80's heels were plentiful in high schools. Those girls grew up with them and learned to walk in them and love them. Now I don't think there are ANY high heels in high schools. If you never learn to walk in them you will never appreciate them, and they become shoes to sit in for special occasions. And even that is becoming rare, because sneakers and army boots have become the norm even for special occasions. I've been on dozens of dates with women over the years, not ONCE did one show up wearing heels. And they can say sales of heels are up 25% but 25% of not much is still not much, just like a discount of 25% on a lot is still a lot.

I remain firmly of the belief that heels are going the way of the corset. Once a clothing item almost every woman wore, now just relegated to the realm of fetishists. And occasionally some fashionista will pick them and they see a doubling or tripling in sales, but double or triple of very little is still very little. On the plus side that might mean that sales of heels to men and women might end up being equal.

I tend to agree with you.  I was just sitting here trying to remember the last time I saw a teenage girl in a pair of dress heels.  Been so long I can't remember.  Used to be that they couldn't wait until they were old enough to be allowed to wear heels.  Sad.