PART 4 : My first year in stilettos

When I woke up the following morning, I was surprised to feel some stiffness and aches in my feet, legs and back. I hadn't thought about how much my body must have worked the day before to offset wearing high heels. I stretched a little and didn't give it a second thought. I was looking forward to Day 2 in my high heels.

During my first week of wearing high heels I thought I started a fashion trend, but it only turned out to be a fad. Three of my friends loved my shoes so much they went out and each bought a pair. We all wore them to school but it only lasted 2 or 3 days. They couldn't handle the pain and soon returned to their flats, clogs or sneakers. They commented how surprised they were that I could wear such high shoes all day, every day. I didn't share it with them but I was dying! My feet, legs and back were killing me. But I loved high heels so much and had waited so long to be allowed to wear them, I wasn't giving them up for anything. 

I also had to learn to negotiate the slippery tiled floors of school. When it rained and the hallways became wet it became a double whammy and I was reduced to even smaller steps. I did notice that I was usually the last one to show up for a class simply because I couldn't walk as fast in such high heels. My natural stride was cut down. Despite these negatives I carried on. 

I was wearing my high heels 7 days a week. Whether it was going grocery shopping with my mom, going to church with my family, or going to a family get together I did it in my stilettos.  I received a lot of comments about them at first until people got used to the fact I wore them. My aunts were particularly fascinated with them... to be honest, maybe even a little jealous. When they were younger they wore high heels, but nowhere near as high as mine and the fact I did it daily really blew their mind. A couple of times they asked to try my heels on and they would try to walk in them but would look like a newborn deer trying to find her legs! 

One of my female cousins who was 14 would try them on and did rather well in them, however, her mom would not allow her to buy any shoes with a heel higher than 3 inches. I remember her mom telling her right in front of me that, "those aren't appropriate shoes for a young lady. Only certain types of women wore shoes like that." I was stunned but let it slide.

I also earned the dislike of a group of preppy girls in school during that first year. They would give me the stink eye when I walked by them and eventually started calling me, "Miss Slut Shoes".  That did bother me, because I loved my heels and wasn't slutty at all. I had never even kissed a boy! It never got too out of control or escalated more than that. But I couldn't wait to finish 8th grade and get out of middle school. I knew that in high school that high heels would be more accepted. 

I made it through that year unharmed. Granted, I did have a couple of slip and falls, both in school and once in church. I bruised a knee one time but suffered no other injuries. But I suffered that year from my heels. I would go home at night and sit in my room and massage my feet and calves. I would also take hot tubs to try and ease the pain in my lower back. My mom was worried about me wearing such high shoes daily, but she kept her word and allowed me to keep wearing them. I'm sure she thought I'd give them up eventually. I didn't tell my mom about the discomfort I was experiencing because she would have most likely put her foot down and forbid me from wearing them.

One help I had that year was my 15 year old brother. He absolutely hated doing chores around the house, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms or emptying trash baskets. I didn't mind it at all. One day I came up with an idea and made him an offer I figured he'd dismiss. I had him promise not to tell mom and he promised. I told him my high heels were killing my feet and offered to do his chores if he massaged my feet. To my surprise, this was a no-brainer for him and he readily agreed! We had to do our chores when we got home while our parents were still at work. It was expected they would be done by the time they got home. I would get through both our chores in no time and then would settle in on the couch and he'd give me a 10 minute foot massage. I was in heaven! He actually was pretty good at it. He hated chores so much that he thought he had the better half of the deal! To my way of thinking I had the better deal. But to each their own! 

I struggled through that first year. In the Spring my 8th grade class was scheduled to visit Washington, D.C. to tour the Capitol. This was an annual trip for the 8th grade class. It was that week in Washington that I had my break through in being able to deal with wearing high heels daily.....

no_photo.png
ReplyForward
  • Like 5

Nice story, well told, with pace and a good eye for the telling detail. And I say that as a magazine writer who’s made a living at this game for quite a while. 

I’m impressed by your dedication - and also by your mother’s benevolent tolerance. It’s really quite a sweet story.

The girls who were nasty - well, they were probably envious but whatever their issue they were nasty people and unless they underwent some kind of sea change probably went on to lead unhappy resentful lives.

Thank you for taking the time to write these pieces. I hope you are keeping copies for yourself. They are worth keeping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Nice story, well told, with pace and a good eye for the telling detail. And I say that as a magazine writer who’s made a living at this game for quite a while. 

I’m impressed by your dedication - and also by your mother’s benevolent tolerance. It’s really quite a sweet story.

Thank you for taking the time to write these pieces. I hope you are keeping copies for yourself. They are worth keeping.

What a great compliment, thank you so much! I’ve always enjoyed writing and I decided to give it a try by telling my high heel story!

I will keep writing segments, it brings up memories that I thought were long gone. I am keeping a copy of them!

• Like 2

I'm enjoying your account and look forward to the next part!   It brings back distinct memories of the latter part of the 'original' stiletto era (early '60s), when many of the girls I had been to school with were keen stiletto wearers in their early teens.   (I say 'had been' because I went on to a boys-only grammar school at age 11, so only saw my old schoolfriends away from school, and not usually regularly.   But coming across one of the girls in our local area, looking smart and sophisticated and with stilettos clicking away, was always something to relish.)

One girl in particular, with whom I had always been friendly, went out with me a few times in the late-60s.   She told me, quite proudly, that she loved her heels and during her years at secondary school (high school) didn't like to go out of the house unless she was wearing them - including at least one pair of five-inchers that her mother tried hard to stop her wearing.   Alas, at the time we were seeing one another, high stilettos had gone out of fashion and even she had given them up.  (I wonder if she resumed wearing them when they became fashionable again in the late 70s?)  I think you had much in common with her, but a more lenient mother!

Am I right in thinking that you have previously described your introduction to heels in Quora?   I do recall reading a very similar account there - and the Washington trip rings a bell.   Were the shoes you have described your only high pair at this time?   If so, you surely wore them out if you were in them every day at school!

• Like 2

It's interesting that you kept wearing the heels even if they hurt. That's the difference between us.  When I was in DSW clearance section looking for my first pair of 4 inch heels a woman came over and told me "Life's too short for heels that hurt." A concept that I have always used.  I plan to wear until I'm 99 and then re-evaluate, but I know I don't what sore feet either; been there and don't want it again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Puffer said:

I'm enjoying your account and look forward to the next part!   It brings back distinct memories of the latter part of the 'original' stiletto era (early '60s), when many of the girls I had been to school with were keen stiletto wearers in their early teens.   (I say 'had been' because I went on to a boys-only grammar school at age 11, so only saw my old schoolfriends away from school, and not usually regularly.   But coming across one of the girls in our local area, looking smart and sophisticated and with stilettos clicking away, was always something to relish.)

One girl in particular, with whom I had always been friendly, went out with me a few times in the late-60s.   She told me, quite proudly, that she loved her heels and during her years at secondary school (high school) didn't like to go out of the house unless she was wearing them - including at least one pair of five-inchers that her mother tried hard to stop her wearing.   Alas, at the time we were seeing one another, high stilettos had gone out of fashion and even she had given them up.  (I wonder if she resumed wearing them when they became fashionable again in the late 70s?)  I think you had much in common with her, but a more lenient mother!

Am I right in thinking that you have previously described your introduction to heels in Quora?   I do recall reading a very similar account there - and the Washington trip rings a bell.   Were the shoes you have described your only high pair at this time?   If so, you surely wore them out if you were in them every day at school!

Thanks for sharing your memories. I guess I wasn't the only teen who loved teeter-tottering in her stilettos!  As for that first pair of stilettos I wore them everyday in 8th grade. I will share the demise of those shoes in an upcoming segment!  Yes, that was me on Quora... good memory! 

22 minutes ago, Cali said:

It's interesting that you kept wearing the heels even if they hurt. 

I think that's what made me different than a lot of people. Comfort was/is never a consideration. I guess I have a high heel fetish for sure and it's all about the look. Like my story detailed, I fell in love with stilettos at that concert when I was very young. I waited so long to be able to wear high heels (years) that comfort became a non-issue for me. I know, sounds crazy.... 

• Like 1

You’re quite a decent writer - not many people are, although lots try. I am glad to hear you are keeping copies for yourself. Reading your narrative has triggered memories of my own and made me think about writing them up. With the magazine world dying in its feet I certainly have the time!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

You’re quite a decent writer - not many people are, although lots try. I am glad to hear you are keeping copies for yourself. Reading your narrative has triggered memories of my own and made me think about writing them up. With the magazine world dying in its feet I certainly have the time!

I agree!   HeelsWearer has written clearly and literately of her experiences and, quite apart from the interesting content, her account has been a pleasure to read.   You and I have both been involved in writing/editing professionally so we are undoubtedly biased - and not given to dish-out compliments too readily either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RonC said:

@HeelsWearer I am truly enjoying reading your story!  Wish I had found you when I was young, as it sounds as if your heel fetish was as strong as mine!  Would have loved being your boyfriend!

It's never too late, hehehe.  (For the record, I'm a huge flirt now!)

• Like 2

Just logged on after a couple.of weeks absence. I join the chorus of compliments on a story well told. 

Heel stories are always fun, and a quality story teller makes it even more worth the read.

And finally. Thanks for sharing your story with us. So far, it actually sounds like you were living the dream many folks here may have had ;-)

• Like 1

I actually dated the High Heel girl in high school. The other girls hated her, the guys loved her, and for some reason, she tolerated me, until she realized i wasn't gonna enjoy bodybuilding as much as she wanted me to. 

On 2/3/2021 at 8:12 PM, Shyheels said:

The girls who were nasty - well, they were probably envious but whatever their issue they were nasty people and unless they underwent some kind of sea change probably went on to lead unhappy resentful lives.

I reckon the nasty girls hated her because she raised the bar to be the queen of the roost to levels they weren't willing to follow.

Possibly, although I suspect their big grudge had nothing to do with the stilettos or appearances but rather the fact that she had confidence and an assured sense of self, enough to go her own way and do her own thing - in this case wearing five inch heels.

Bullies hate and fear confidence in others. It’s why they move in packs and attack those who have the very thing they lack - or rather, one of the (many) things they lack: self possession. 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CAT said:

I hang in Chicago!!  Its not that bad.  Winter is THIGH HIGH BOOT SEASON!!!!!!!image.thumb.jpg.9763eb541c3cc9459b27ed1f73471ef2.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.8ef2e8ba7cd28acaa3b4382a0fc9f10a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d9b10251880e352255d00ffb0f2366a2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.30d2553eee76fff561a7d7a8c38b36d4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f6cf7f75a4ab2d1b6b21bf971e280885.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.54fb277e3a7e1181ed56c52624211ef4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.300ec3a45cc0350646a71e03f05d13c8.jpeg

0BF24162-D52C-46D8-BCE8-B949655B0D6A.thumb.jpeg.be8d422928f47f611357800c89d7d049.jpeg532B25D0-3CA5-4C97-AE8C-A4E394BD6C64.thumb.jpeg.3cb587cb6a7167c8cdbb6ac76366bc12.jpeg47C57B51-3CA5-49AC-9AE0-5998CE76B4AF.thumb.jpeg.775fddb863b80fe933e68c4cb99c6e6a.jpeg17D38AA1-4F02-4A39-BD40-4A2C03594AEF.thumb.jpeg.8ad2dc9e9fea7adb92427f3f9856dba0.jpeg

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love those first pr of boots! They are all fantastic. Doing the same thing tonight...thigh high boot night.

20210206_224457.jpg

20210206_232813.jpg

• Like 5

Not only the weather but the constant crap going on in the city has kept me out of my usual shopping dinning and strolling in the city, even without a prefeerred "CAT" like outfit.  Car jackings are a common thing, even in broad daylight with no mask or disguise.   Robberies, muggings, shootings all up in numbers The fabulous mayor we have is doing a stellar job at promoting violence, the criminals know there will be no police involvement and certainly no repercussions to them.  Not a good place to be these days, so sad.

• Sad 1

I live in the north suburbs of Chicago, Would go to Chicago all the time either by car or train to wander and have fun.  Train was always interesting since you are kinda held captive on an hour ride for everyone to look at you and stare or even ask "whats with the skirt and heels?"  image.thumb.jpeg.d0a51f2ca9d5557d6a7b098b49e49391.jpeglarge.image.jpg.791fe355969a3fe0c60c8e5da2187282.jpglarge.image.jpg.338b10f78580dc79fe1527cbbcc2961f.jpglarge.image.jpg.78f67fa7500c97222cf17336d4356045.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CAT said:

The fabulous mayor we have is doing a stellar job at promoting violence, the criminals know there will be no police involvement and certainly no repercussions to them.  Not a good place to be these days, so sad.

Isn't that the truth.  Sad, as during her campaign I thought she might actually do a decent job.  She has been awful.  Just glad I don't live in the city proper.

14 hours ago, bailey said:

I think you may be pretty safe on the train. Those boots are amazing and probably could be considered lethal weapons.😁

15 hours ago, CAT said:

I live in the north suburbs of Chicago, Would go to Chicago all the time either by car or train to wander and have fun.  Train was always interesting since you are kinda held captive on an hour ride for everyone to look at you and stare or even ask "whats with the skirt and heels?"  image.thumb.jpeg.d0a51f2ca9d5557d6a7b098b49e49391.jpeglarge.image.jpg.791fe355969a3fe0c60c8e5da2187282.jpglarge.image.jpg.338b10f78580dc79fe1527cbbcc2961f.jpglarge.image.jpg.78f67fa7500c97222cf17336d4356045.jpg

Was just about to say the same thing. Those boots can almost protect themselves!

@CAT, loving those looks above too. Hope you get to relive those experiences soon....

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 1:18 PM, Shyheels said:

America seems kind of a scary place these days...not the innocent place it was when HeelsWearer was trying out her stilettos...

Most places in the US are generally safe. The larger cities always have areas that you just stay out of, more so after dark. South side Chicago is a bad place to be. I have a nephew that works in the south side. 100% white guy, and he is working the ghetto everyday. He said it was pretty scary at first, the only white guy for blocks, but he claims the "hood" has gotten used to him and leave him alone. Plus he does have a carry permit.

i live in a metro area of about 250,000 people and up to a few years ago you never worried abut being out after dark. Today I don't care to be in many areas after dark. I could go on to explain why this has happened but the post would be edited out or deleted as political.

I remember growing up in my teens I lived in a city of less than 10,000 people. We would wander the streets all night in the summer and never worry about anything other than the police hassling us.

• Like 3