PART 1 : How I fell in love with high heels

I remember the day I fell in love with high heels. I couldn't have been much more than 8 or 9 years old. Our family went to a county fair. One of our stops was at the stage where singers performed. We arrived early and got front row seats, which were eye level with the floor of the stage. The first singer was a female, whose name I can't recall. 

When she was introduced and called onto stage, the first thing I noticed about her was her shoes. She was wearing a pair of what I now remember to be probably about 4 or 5 inches high. They were bright red stiletto pumps. I couldn't take my eyes off them. I immediately fell in love with high heels! I don't even remember what the singer looked like. I don't remember if she was short or tall, what color her hair was, what her face looked like, or what color her outfit was. I remember she had on a skirt which allowed a clear view of her high heels right at eye level. I didn't listen to her sing, all I did was look at her shoes. I watched every step she took and remember one time her ankle wobbled and she almost went down. From that day forward, I knew I wanted to wear high heels.

I remember trying on my mom's heels which she only wore on special occasions. They had a 2 or 3 inch heel if that. I liked wearing them in the house but couldn't wait to get a real pair of high heels of my own. I knew I was too young at the time, but starting at about the age of 11 I began pestering my mom to allow me to buy and wear high heels. She was a very hard no. She wouldn't allow me anything at all that represented a high heel. The closest I got to any high heel were clogs she bought me. They were regular clogs with maybe a one inch heel. But they were feminine to me and I wore them everywhere, every day!  I loved the click-clack of my clogs. 

I kept pestering my mom for high heels and she finally conceded I could wear high heels once I became a teenager, on the condition I buy them. I was thrilled that I had a date and started planning right then. I knew I was still over a year away from becoming a teenager, but I would look at magazines for different types of high heels and trying to get a feeling for what I wanted to buy. At 12, I began babysitting and saving money. Almost all the money I saved went toward my high heel account; I spent very little on other things! I saved up quite a bit of money and could hardly wait until my 13th birthday. My mother put no restrictions on the shoes I bought. She said if it was my own money that I could buy what I wanted, but cautioned me to start off not buying anything too high. Of course I had different ideas. There was a store back in the 80's and 90's called The Wild Pair. They sold the sexiest shoes and I was absolutely in love with a pair that was in the window when I went to the mall. 

As my 13th birthday approached I couldn't wait to go to the mall. I had saved more than enough money for the shoes I wanted. On my 13th birthday, I went to the mall and bought a pair of 5 inch stiletto heels with a metal spike on them, black. I had no idea what I was getting into! I bought a pair of knee high nude hose and when I tried on the stilettos I was totally in love. I stood and wobbled but I didn't care. I looked in the mirror and within 10 minutes I had left the store with my new shoes in hand. I went into the mall and sat on a bench and quickly changed into them. As I started to teeter-totter around the mall, I was surprised how steep the shoes were. I was also surprised at how slippery the floor was with the metal heels. 

When I got home and walked in the house my mother saw the shoes and burst out laughing. She told me I wouldn't last 3 days in them. She said they were pretty, but I wouldn't be up for the challenge. This made me even more determined to wear these lovely, which I thought were sexy and not just pretty shoes!  I had school the following day and was eager to try them out.  (Here's what my first high heels from the Wild Pair looked like, except mine were black)

Shoe.thumb.png.d002446ec0391727a6e9d76b1c3cb274.png
Edited by HeelsWearer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

What a nice story! I can imagine the excitement and the thrill and of course the saving up for something special when you’re that age. Clearly you lasted the three days - and then some!

I remember a red haired girl in my 7th grade class who wore go-go boots and how I wanted a pair too. I was such a daydreamy kid I didn’t actually grasp that those were a no-no for me and very nearly asked for a pair. I’d have happily saved my pennies...

Anyway, thank you for the lovely story. 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

I also loved my heels from Wild Pair that I bought back in the late 70s or early 80s.  I still have 2 pair that I kept.  A red pair and and another in black.

• Like 2

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

22 hours ago, HeelsWearer said:

I had school the following day and was eager to try them out. 

I was going to ask to hear more of your story, but I see you already posted!  Thanks for sharing!

Edited by RonC
Added comment
  • Like 1

Those shoes would turn heads in any office environment today. Maybe get sent home from school for being to distractive to the other students.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1