Best Dressed HHPlacer of 2021

Tech

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/5/2021 at 2:13 AM, 5150PLB1 said:

There are several places where you can find heels with spurs on the web.

Thanks for the info, but spurs on high heels is not what i´m looking for. 😉

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 2:34 AM, Isolathor said:

Picture for November:

1482646345_P1090548a_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.af7ecef4da3d9e1348a043973e0af1f9.JPG

I am trying to figure out what exactly am I looking at here? The floor appears to be grated (un-high-heel-friendly), and the background looks like some sort of lap siding, like you'd see on the side of an American house. Only with these weird screws in it. What IS this place?

Oh, and spectator pumps! I haven't seen those in real life in an age! Maybe someday they will come back in style. I always kind of liked them.

21 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

What IS this place?

That is an iconic Frankfurt building at the airport, the "Squaire". What you are looking at is the side of an entrance. These are shaped like tunnels with the lighting from the side, You see white glas panels illuminated from behind. The grating is only at the outer edges close to the rail.

Squaire

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Isolathor said:

That is an iconic Frankfurt building at the airport, the "Squaire". What you are looking at is the side of an entrance. These are shaped like tunnels with the lighting from the side, You see white glas panels illuminated from behind. The grating is only at the outer edges close to the rail.

Squaire

Ahhh. Thanks for the info! I was thinking to myself, "I don't remember THAT, surely I would have remembered THAT!" Then I looked up the date of construction. It's no wonder I don't remember it, because I don't have much of a memory for things I never saw. I was last in Frankfurt in 1990. I hope to return someday.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:15 AM, mlroseplant said:

Oh, and spectator pumps! I haven't seen those in real life in an age! Maybe someday they will come back in style. I always kind of liked them.

You still see them here  sometimes, but mostly a more modern version with cleaner lines. I like this style a lot!

939604866_P1090597a_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.9072f87bfac5dd1d94a00827b56eae79.JPG

• Like 2

HeleninHeels :  I am sorry for not responded sooner . Yes those are spurs . During the summer I will wear ankle boots and different styles of spurs . During the winter I wear crotch high boots with the same spurs . Others call it/them boot jewelry . If some one compliments me on my attire ( Oh I like that-those ) I never know if they are talking about the spurs or the boots . Ei261762_2145187834954_1404016199_32606088_7709299_n_old.thumb.jpg.a0aaaa85b2fe7fb90d2802f7c0dad01e.jpgther way -I love wearing heels . Mike

• Like 5

On 11/6/2021 at 10:39 AM, p1ng74 said:

It's trench coat season!  

spacer.pngspacer.png

Which reminds me, I probably need to look into getting a new one soon. I've been wearing the same one for a very long time, and it keeps getting rattier and rattier.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 4:39 PM, p1ng74 said:

It's trench coat season!  

And i thought trench coat season died many, many years ago. I haven´t seen a trench coat around here in ages, only in old black and white movies.

Edited by Isolathor

When I visited London a couple years ago I was in good company wearing my trench coat there, as I could easily spot someone else wearing one as well.  On the other hand, here in the US some people say that they like the look but are uncomfortable with an association to a militaristic look.  I’ve heard some say the same of tall black riding boots.  Personally I think there are ways to wear both without looking like a World War 2 officer, but I wonder if men in Germany have this objection too.  

Edited by p1ng74
Grammar
  • Like 2

Well, i have to stand corrected. When i said i haven´t seen a trench coat in ages that was meant as in a man wearing a trench coat. Maybe that is due to the militaristic look that we came to avoid due to our shameful past.

You see trench coats worn by women now and then, they are a fashion object for the ladies. Helen has one as well, but i don´t.

2118541275_DSC_4465a_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.e265431fa99383b8d8c0ab16c2002e3f.JPG

432137303_DSC_4373_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.3676a3d10a85e76f0ca32d15fdf6bdf9.JPG

• Like 1

That is one objection I've never heard--the overly militaristic look. I always figured the objection was that it's a style from a time when men would not dare leave the house without a hat, and I'm not talking about a baseball cap! I guess I've always worn one in the appropriate season because honestly, what else are you going to wear with a suit? A puffer jacket? When I started wearing heels, it seemed like a natural complement to winter footwear. It also kind of disguises my bowed legs--another plus. The example below is perhaps not my most stylish moment ever (i.e., it is not intended to be a submission), but it is a good example of how I don't look like military material. On second thought, maybe if I change my name to Maxwell Klinger I could be.

PlanteraTrench.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

That is one objection I've never heard--the overly militaristic look. I always figured the objection was that it's a style from a time when men would not dare leave the house without a hat, and I'm not talking about a baseball cap! I guess I've always worn one in the appropriate season because honestly, what else are you going to wear with a suit? A puffer jacket? When I started wearing heels, it seemed like a natural complement to winter footwear. It also kind of disguises my bowed legs--another plus. The example below is perhaps not my most stylish moment ever (i.e., it is not intended to be a submission), but it is a good example of how I don't look like military material. On second thought, maybe if I change my name to Maxwell Klinger I could be.

Germans are weird. When they should have felt guilty over what they did during WW2, like in the first decades after the war, they secretly thought Hitler did nothing wrong. And the generations which actually did nothing wrong, by being born after the war, now go way overboard to compensate. All the more ridiculous because modern day Germany is a nice country that does good things and has a lot to be proud of. Even immediate post war Germany that faked being sorry was still smart enough to publicly admit being sorry and pay reparations to victims. Unlike a certain island nation in the Far East I might add. If you wonder what it is like to live in a country where everyone has to feel guilty for everything that your ancestors did, like some want us to do, look at Germany. No wearing trench coats for you!

The sins of the father should not fall on to the son.

1 hour ago, Chorlini said:

Germans are weird. When they should have felt guilty over what they did during WW2, like in the first decades after the war, they secretly thought Hitler did nothing wrong. And the generations which actually did nothing wrong, by being born after the war, now go way overboard to compensate. All the more ridiculous because modern day Germany is a nice country that does good things and has a lot to be proud of. Even immediate post war Germany that faked being sorry was still smart enough to publicly admit being sorry and pay reparations to victims. Unlike a certain island nation in the Far East I might add. If you wonder what it is like to live in a country where everyone has to feel guilty for everything that your ancestors did, like some want us to do, look at Germany. No wearing trench coats for you!

The sins of the father should not fall on to the son.

When I was a young man, I got the chance to visit Germany. As a recent university graduate, I was invited to be a chaperone to a high school German language class that was visiting Germany. I won't get into the ins and outs of it, but it was an experience that changed my life, and much of the reason is because I spent a lot of the time talking with our tour bus driver Norbert. I never knew his family name (surname). And yeah, Germans are weird. After all, they gave us Birkenstocks! They also gave us way overly complicated windshield wiping mechanisms, like what you'll find on Mercedes cars. But I will never forget the day that Norbert told me to call him "du" instead of "sie." That is the day I learned that people are just people, no matter what government they live under, or what religion they are, or how much money they have, or what they choose to wear on their feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

When I was a young man, I got the chance to visit Germany. As a recent university graduate, I was invited to be a chaperone to a high school German language class that was visiting Germany. I won't get into the ins and outs of it, but it was an experience that changed my life, and much of the reason is because I spent a lot of the time talking with our tour bus driver Norbert. I never knew his family name (surname). And yeah, Germans are weird. After all, they gave us Birkenstocks! They also gave us way overly complicated windshield wiping mechanisms, like what you'll find on Mercedes cars. But I will never forget the day that Norbert told me to call him "du" instead of "sie." That is the day I learned that people are just people, no matter what government they live under, or what religion they are, or how much money they have, or what they choose to wear on their feet.

I had that eye opening experience when I visited Egypt in 1995. I was there for 3 months as part of an university course and it forever changed my views on Arabs. Traveling really does broaden the mind. I still think Germans are weird for being so uptight and obsessed over something that they didn't do themselves and are not to blame for. The past will always be there, but take pride in the country you have today? It's a nice one after all.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:09 AM, mlroseplant said:

They also gave us way overly complicated windshield wiping mechanisms, like what you'll find on Mercedes cars.

The monoblade may be complicated, but it looks so elegant.  Plus it does not require separate designs for LHD vs RHD cars.  And perhaps one wiper is more simple that two?

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 8:57 AM, Chorlini said:

Germans are weird.

We sure are. And we are not uniform, there is a large spektrum from the far (violent) left to the far (violent) right. We even have a large Jewish Community living in Germany despite what happened in the past. In fact my grandfather was jewish, so my father was not drafted (he was called "not worth to serve") into the Wehrmacht. Instead he was pressed into forced labour, taken from school one day without even noticing my grandmother. He then build bunkers for the Atlantic Wall in France, living like a prisoner with no contact to the outer world. My Grandmother did not know he was alive until he showed up after the war. So if your father or grandfather stormed a bunker at Omaha Beach it was build by my father .....

But despite our widespread spektrum of hardliners most of us are kind of middle class, not to many poor people, not to many rich people, which makes living along quite easy in this country. I am not proud of being german, i did nothing to become one. But i consider myself lucky to be born in a country which is functioning quite well and in a climate which is not to extreme, but still has spring, summer, autumn and winter.

Edited by Isolathor
  • Like 1