The One Who Got Away

Used to work with a girl who was amazing to me in every way. Total girl next door. Small 5ft 2in in stature. Kind of a shy Anna Kendrick, a perfect size 10 in clothing. A girl who, apart from at work where we have to wear flat soles shoes by law had a little thing she liked to collect. That item was Heels.

Spent many a shift just giggling at each other, folk hated her wee squeaky voice, I adored it. I managed to get out of her that she had 60-80 pairs in her room, loft and some in the hallway. She went on a girls holiday to Venice with her friends one weekend, her dad went into her room and built her a bespoke display and storage cabinet for them to get them out of the hall way. Her dad was a builder.

I now wish I’d have kept in contact with her as I fancied her rotten. Who doesn’t like a Anna Kendrick type girl who enjoys heels and likes to dress up properly every day. Her next job was with the Police on the civil side, she was embarrassed with her pay as she was going to earn obscene amounts of money. She was looking forward to wearing heels and nice skirts for work, all she had to wear for uniform was a polo top with the police emblem on it.

A few years back I was talking to a friend who stayed about 10 doors down from her and knew her from School, started the same day as her in our work at the time. She said she was doing okay, married with two kids. Only problem was her husband, her childhood sweetheart who was more off than on again at the tail end of her time at the workplace. That guy got jealous, started to control things a little more, got rid of most of her more “out there” heels and only kept the safe work attire ones. He didn’t like the attention she was getting. She is staying married to the clown for the kids.

If I had my time again, I’d have given her my number, I’d have told her about my feelings and hopefully would have her now. Hell, I’d even take her now. I’d build her confidence back up. What guy would not want a well put together girl who was well educated, a spirit of her own and a star that shines so bright it makes others jealous. If she was with me, I’d have shown her off, knowing that every bloke is looking at her but she would always be leaving with me, whilst they get the evil eye from their significant other.

Heels were her thing, I’d have bought her some she liked, she liked the expensive brands, but also loved her in expensive less than £100 shoes. She said she liked 3-4 inches for daily use and 5-6 for a date night or a night on the town with her girlfriends.

I have seen her once since her last day, it was in the centre of town, only for a few seconds, what a sight. Nice 4 inch black Oxfords, nice stockings and a wee black skirt with a silver hem detail, and a yellow tank top under her signature purple knee length wool coat. Saw her that day and had my breath taken away, if only that cashier didn’t drop that 50p he was giving me as change.

I often think about her, as I know she could have been mine now. If only my own family was healthy at the time as I did feel guilty about not giving her my number as my mum was in the end years of her life at the time. If anything now, I’d have gone for it. I have made my peace with myself now.

The thing I now realise is that cliche, Carpe Diem, seize the day, go for it, and never look back. Sad thing is I will always look back on her and think of what could have been.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, VirginHeels said:

Used to work with a girl who was amazing to me in every way. Total girl next door. Small 5ft 2in in stature. Kind of a shy Anna Kendrick, a perfect size 10 in clothing. A girl who, apart from at work where we have to wear flat soles shoes by law had a little thing she liked to collect. That item was Heels.

The thing I now realise is that cliche, Carpe Diem, seize the day, go for it, and never look back. Sad thing is I will always look back on her and think of what could have been.

I am guessing that U.K. sizing must be quite different from U.S. sizing. A 5'2" person who needs a U.S. size 10 anything would be quite hefty! Of course, I think we are suffering from size inflation on this side of the pond.

Take comfort in the fact that memory tends to move things to the extremes, the good things become great things, and the bad things become absolutely awful.

• Like 2

Nearly forty years ago I was riding the Hunter's Hill ferry from Circular Quay in Sydney when I exchanged a smile with a lovely blond girl who was helping look after some disabled children. It was one of those almost situations - the sort where one almost speaks, but then doesn't. I could see she nearly spoke to me, and I know I nearly said hello to her. But neither of us did, and after another exchange of shy sweet smiles when the ferry docked, we went our separate ways. Forty years ago. Sometimes I think of that moment in terms of an alternate history. What if...? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

I am guessing that U.K. sizing must be quite different from U.S. sizing. A 5'2" person who needs a U.S. size 10 anything would be quite hefty! Of course, I think we are suffering from size inflation on this side of the pond.

UK dress size 10 is equivalent to US dress size 6. This table confirms my belief: https://www.asknumbers.com/ClothingWomensConversion.aspx

I know the feeling.  There was a girl in high school that I was crazy about.  I was too shy to ask her out on a date - or actually maybe too scared of rejection if she said no.  It's now 53 years later and I still think of her quite often.  I've had a wonderful wife and family, but I still can't help but wonder.  She was such a sweetheart.  I didn't know about heels at the time as in the late 60's heels were low and chunky.  However, her version of that was a three strap black patent mary-jane with about a 2" heel that she wore quite often to school.  I did see her at my 25th reunion, but didn't realize it was her until near the end of the night, as she now had blond hair after being a brunette in school.  She was by far the best looking woman in the room that night, and one of the few wearing nice heels.  I wanted to go find her and talk with her, but I was there with my wife and didn't think that would have gone over too well.  I guess maybe I was also still afraid of that rejection thing...lol.  I will rue my lack of nerve forever.

Edited by RonC
Added comment
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, at9 said:

UK dress size 10 is equivalent to US dress size 6. This table confirms my belief: https://www.asknumbers.com/ClothingWomensConversion.aspx

Good because I wear US women's size 10 and I would hate to think a 5'2" woman would too..

There have been two women I let slip away that I wish I had taken. But you shouldn't cry after spilled milk.

On 1/5/2021 at 2:17 AM, VirginHeels said:

Spent many a shift just giggling at each other, folk hated her wee squeaky voice, I adored it. I managed to get out of her that she had 60-80 pairs in her room, loft and some in the hallway. She went on a girls holiday to Venice with her friends one weekend, her dad went into her room and built her a bespoke display and storage cabinet for them to get them out of the hall way. Her dad was a builder.

I now wish I’d have kept in contact with her as I fancied her rotten. Who doesn’t like a Anna Kendrick type girl who enjoys heels and likes to dress up properly every day. Her next job was with the Police on the civil side, she was embarrassed with her pay as she was going to earn obscene amounts of money. She was looking forward to wearing heels and nice skirts for work, all she had to wear for uniform was a polo top with the police emblem on it.

A few years back I was talking to a friend who stayed about 10 doors down from her and knew her from School, started the same day as her in our work at the time. She said she was doing okay, married with two kids. Only problem was her husband, her childhood sweetheart who was more off than on again at the tail end of her time at the workplace. That guy got jealous, started to control things a little more, got rid of most of her more “out there” heels and only kept the safe work attire ones. He didn’t like the attention she was getting. She is staying married to the clown for the kids.

If I had my time again, I’d have given her my number, I’d have told her about my feelings and hopefully would have her now. Hell, I’d even take her now. I’d build her confidence back up. What guy would not want a well put together girl who was well educated, a spirit of her own and a star that shines so bright it makes others jealous. If she was with me, I’d have shown her off, knowing that every bloke is looking at her but she would always be leaving with me, whilst they get the evil eye from their significant other.

Heels were her thing, I’d have bought her some she liked, she liked the expensive brands, but also loved her in expensive less than £100 shoes. She said she liked 3-4 inches for daily use and 5-6 for a date night or a night on the town with her girlfriends.

I have seen her once since her last day, it was in the centre of town, only for a few seconds, what a sight. Nice 4 inch black Oxfords, nice stockings and a wee black skirt with a silver hem detail, and a yellow tank top under her signature purple knee length wool coat. Saw her that day and had my breath taken away, if only that cashier didn’t drop that 50p he was giving me as change.

I often think about her, as I know she could have been mine now. If only my own family was healthy at the time as I did feel guilty about not giving her my number as my mum was in the end years of her life at the time. If anything now, I’d have gone for it. I have made my peace with myself now.

We all have these memories about someone to one degree or another....Your memory seems especially difficult if you run into her every so often.  So frustrating!  Nonetheless, I would definitely say "hello" if you run into her again....

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon if you fancy a girl better tell her you do so right away instead of stew on it like forever. Cause there is never going to be a right moment, so waiting for one is pointless, the longer you wait, the more you going to build her up in your head as THE ONE, and that tends to scare women off, let alone make it more difficult for you to approach and finally, the longer you wait, the bigger the chance she will think of you as just a friend and you will get friendzoned. Also, no point in looking back in as what if. You didn't, you blew it, learn from it. Anything else will only serve to make you feel bad.

Take care of the tiny pimple before it becomes that giant boil. I don't want to spend time and money with an open minded woman than can't fathom the possibility that a man can wear heels.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:28 AM, RonC said:

I know the feeling.  There was a girl in high school that I was crazy about.  I was too shy to ask her out on a date - or actually maybe too scared of rejection if she said no.  

Years back I went to my ten year class reunion. I went to school with this beautiful, tall, blonde blue eyed gal. Classic Scandinavian. We were casual friends in school, but never spent any time together. It never cross my mind to ask her out. At the reunion she came over and sat with my and my wife, then went on to ask why I had never asked her out on a date. I looked at her, then my wife, (who was occupied talking to someone) and turned back to her and said, "just stupid I guess!" We talked for a few minutes and she told me she would have gone out with my if I had asked. I never remotely though I was in her league! She was still absolutely beautiful in her late 20's, still looked like she did in high school. To this day I was thinking she was hitting on me, but I love my wife dearly so it wouldn't have mattered, but thinking back to what I may have missed in high school!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Pumped said:

Years back I went to my ten year class reunion. I went to school with this beautiful, tall, blonde blue eyed gal. Classic Scandinavian. We were casual friends in school, but never spent any time together. It never cross my mind to ask her out. At the reunion she came over and sat with my and my wife, then went on to ask why I had never asked her out on a date. I looked at her, then my wife, (who was occupied talking to someone) and turned back to her and said, "just stupid I guess!" We talked for a few minutes and she told me she would have gone out with my if I had asked. I never remotely though I was in her league! She was still absolutely beautiful in her late 20's, still looked like she did in high school. To this day I was thinking she was hitting on me, but I love my wife dearly so it wouldn't have mattered, but thinking back to what I may have missed in high school!

I dunno buddy, seems like a pretty rude thing to say right in front of your wife...Especially if she stills looks as good as she did in high school...Seems like she was going out of her way to cause trouble.  Yeah, she realizes now that you would have been "a good catch"...But, who knows who she had her eyes on in school...I'm not faulting her, just saying she may have been somewhat in denial about her behavior in school.   I surely understand how you feel about "what might have been", but perhaps you may have dodged a bullet....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pumped said:

We talked for a few minutes and she told me she would have gone out with my if I had asked. I never remotely though I was in her league!

Ouch...that would make me even more frustrated that I never asked.  At least I can still placate myself by thinking she would have said no thanks....lol.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:32 AM, pebblesf said:

I dunno buddy, seems like a pretty rude thing to say right in front of your wife...Especially if she stills looks as good as she did in high school...Seems like she was going out of her way to cause trouble.  Yeah, she realizes now that you would have been "a good catch"...But, who knows who she had her eyes on in school...I'm not faulting her, just saying she may have been somewhat in denial about her behavior in school.   I surely understand how you feel about "what might have been", but perhaps you may have dodged a bullet....

Knowing the gal, I don't think she was trying to cause any trouble. I had known her for years and she is just sweet and easy going. Pretty sure she was just being honest and kind of oblivious to the situation. I did tell my wife about the conversation later and she had to laugh about it. She even said I screwed up as she is a beautiful gal.

In the end it doesn't mater as I love my wife dearly and I don't see anyone ever replacing her. Anyone else would be a step down!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pumped said:

Knowing the gal, I don't think she was trying to cause any trouble. I had known her for years and she is just sweet and easy going. Pretty sure she was just being honest and kind of oblivious to the situation. I did tell my wife about the conversation later and she had to laugh about it. She even said I screwed up as she is a beautiful gal.

In the end it doesn't mater as I love my wife dearly and I don't see anyone ever replacing her. Anyone else would be a step down!

Sounds like an great person indeed, judging only by her reaction to the situation!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 3:36 PM, spikesmike said:

Chorlini : OK, So who rejected you ? If it was Pernilla, That would be tough to take . Love her style and high heel shoes .   Mike

Is there even a man out there who hasn't been rejected? It's part of being a man. Unless you're Henry Cavill and got money like Jeff Bezos women won't ask you out, you have to ask them out. So you will get rejected. And the more it happens, it either saps your will to live or makes you stronger as it toughens you. I advise the latter. And yes, Pernilla would be bad, cause unlike with most women there aren't a whole lot like her..

On 1/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, pebblesf said:

This reminds me of a Chris Rock gag, he once said when a man sees his best friend's wife and is impressed by her he thinks man, I should find a woman like hers. When a woman sees her best friend's husband and is impressed by him, she thinks I gotta get him. 😁

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Many, many years ago i flew to Hannover on a business-trip. I sat next to a gorgeous flight stewardess, she was proceeding to her next flight. She looked fantastic in her blue uniform with blue high heels in excess off 4". Since i always loved women in high heels we came to talk about heels during the flight, it was a pleasant chat and it was a pity the flight was only a very short one. After we left the plane we said goodbye and went our ways. It didn´t take me long to reach the conclusion: I´m such an idiot not to ask for her number and invite her out! Chances would have been 50/50, yes or no .....

Maybe continued

• Like 2

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

Funny this thread should pop back up again at this moment. I will be attending my 35th high school class reunion this summer, if there even is one, who knows what will happen. I do not have fond memories of my younger days, but those who grew up around me seem to remember me more fondly than I remember them. If only I had known how life was going to go, hell, I could have been wearing heels from age 18 and not have wasted 30 some-odd-years walking around in flats. AND, I probably could have avoided my ex-wife altogether!

For those who may be wondering, it is recorded somewhere that I did in fact wear heels to my 30th high school reunion. I was the best dressed person there, but probably not the cutest.  .  .

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Isolathor said:

Many, many years ago i flew to Hannover on a business-trip. I sat next to a gorgeous flight stewardess, she was proceeding to her next flight. She looked fantastic in her blue uniform with blue high heels in excess off 4". Since i always loved women in high heels we came to talk about heels during the flight, it was a pleasant chat and it was a pity the flight was only a very short one. After we left the plane we said goodbye and went our ways. It didn´t take me long to reach the conclusion: I´m such an idiot not to ask for her number and invite her out! Chances would have been 50/50, yes or no .....

Maybe continued

I hear ya buddy, but we have all had a few of these experiences, only to leave us wondering "what might have been"...

i love it when the shoe is on the other foot!  (ha!  no pun intended!)  i love being "the one that got away" and i know it's happened several times in the past because they told me!  it's kind of sexy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, w6ish said:

i love it when the shoe is on the other foot!  (ha!  no pun intended!)  i love being "the one that got away" and i know it's happened several times in the past because they told me!  it's kind of sexy.

I've never had that luxury for sure!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pebblesf said:

... we have all had a few of these experiences, only to leave us wondering "what might have been"...

Well, sometimes life grants you a second chance and "what might have been" becomes a reality.

In my case i met her again. After my days work in Hannover was finished i took a taxi to a hotel and checked in. Got rid of my businessattire, took a shower, dressed more casually and went down to the hotelbar to take a nightcap. From the hallway, even before entering the bar, i saw a lady sitting there, short yellow summerdress and yellow slingbacks with a heel of about 5". She was like a flash of sunlight that late evening. When i entered the bar she just turned around towards the entrance. She recognized me before i realized who she was, the gorgeous stewardess from the flight hours ago. Her whole crew stayed at this hotel, but she was alone in the bar. She called me over and we spent an enchanting evening together. She was 19, i was 22, and nature took its course. 2 years later we married and i´m still in love with that girl!

• Like 6

23 hours ago, spikesmike said:

... children finding love . 5a89ad2c11bbd_DSCF5186(1).thumb.JPG.5c93838a2ddd6007db54aef66d4ea63c.JPG

Nothing wrong with that 😀
By the way, i like the white Oxfords next to  the lamp and would love to see more from these! 🤩