Sizes - I dont geddit!

WedgeRob

I've just gone and bought my first pair of heels, from Next in a size 43 (which is apparently a size 9 UK).

They are the canvas stud sandals in the top-left of this page..

http://order.next.co.uk/page.asp?b=X33&p=246&o=1

Now I normally wear Size 10 UK shoes but these size 9 sandals are slightly too big for me and my foot moves around in them too much - I'm now thinking that I could probably get away with a size 42 (UK :D, but that is two sizes smaller than my regular size! But if I can then this opens up the possibility of me falling into the size 8 range and opens up many more heel buying opportunities! Does anyone think that this is the case? Has anyone else found that they can fit into smaller sizes like this?

No, that is not the case. A 43 is a ladies 10 and a mens' 9. However, the sizing in Europe is related to foot length and not width. Usually "outsize" ladies' footwear are cut for a wide fitting but if you take a mens' 10 you will find that a ladies' 10 is too wide but slightly too short in the foot, something not noticeable with sandals or open toe footwear. A 42 might have been a better fit widthwise but you could well have found that your toes stick out from the front. Converning sizes 8s: You will have a tough time getting into them, I take mens' 9 and i find that I can sometimes get into them but the don't fit properly.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The only way to find out is to try on the pair in question. All shoes are made on slightly different lasts and you may well find you can get away with one or two sizes smaller in certain models. NEXT lasts are usually quite generous. Most ladies sizes work out a size bigger in practice due to the narrower width eg A ladies 8 is a mens 7 - 7 1/2 so on average you may well have to go up a size from your men's size.

I have read and noticed the opposite. i.e. that womens sizes are generally smaller than the mens sizes. An example would be I am a size 6 UK mens but the size 6 womens is huge on me. So its turned out that I take about 4 or 4 1/2. The half sizes are hard to find.

I have read and noticed the opposite. i.e. that womens sizes are generally smaller than the mens sizes. An example would be I am a size 6 UK mens but the size 6 womens is huge on me. So its turned out that I take about 4 or 4 1/2. The half sizes are hard to find.

Hi Exitman,

sorry, I cannot agree with you. My experience is the same as Firefoxes. I need an European size 45. A male UK size 10 fits well. Buying women shoes, I made two times the same mistake: Ordering them in 10 :D Only my red stiletto leather ankle boots, which I ordered in UK size 11 fit really well :D

The chaos in the United States is still much worse. My EU size 45 ranges between female US 12 and 15. Ordering in the United States is really a hazard!

My impression: The EU sizes are the most reliable and they are unisex sizes. There may be a difference of +/- 1 but usually never more.

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

The shoe size printed on the shoe seems to be more of a guide really, I dont know how people can order shoes mail order or on the internet as they all seem to be different, I go for a size 10 UK and see how they fit, a size 9 in Clarks fits great, my new work shoes are a 12. When we get on to heels then it is even more of a mine field, my 4" stilleto boots are a 10 and are snug, my 5" shoes from Hayway are a 45 ( an 11 UK I presume ) I have bought 2 pairs of boots in Evans latley, both are a 10 or like Dr shoe points out a 43, one is a bit loose the others are snug, they both have about the same size heel so we can discount that for making the difference. My wife was suprised when we found a nice pair of boots and that I tried them on, but as per all the other posts in the forums, the staff were not phazed at all. The last time I was on my own in Swindon early one morning I found that Evans had put out loads of shoes that we had not seen at the weekend, I went to buy a pair and asked if I could try them on, she said that it would be a good idea as she had a pair and they were a bit tighter than the others, she was right! So whilst I appreciate that the shoe sizes are a science in their own, I prefer to think of them as a guide. It is not worth buying them if you cant get them on.

The angels have the phonebox.

In reply to micha. I read that also that if you are a six then it should be a seven. But the first boots I bought I was too afraid to try them so i just got a six. These were huge and the arch of my foot was not supported as i was walking on my toes trying to keep the foot from slipping out of the boot. I tried on a 5 this was a bit better. Then I tried a four this means provides a smug fit and the arch of my foot is completly supported by the shoe. Is this wrong, should the boots be loose very loose and walking on your tip toes in a three inch heel.

Several issues have been raised. As one of the Forum's veterans, these are my observations: MEN'S : WOMEN'S UK SIZES Some authorities say they should be identical, whereas the majority say women's are one size smaller so that a size 8 man needs a size 9 women's shoe. In practice, I find all this is so loose and variable that you just have to try everything until you find the right fit, and the next brand or style will be different again. DIFFERENT BRANDS Faith's sizes always seem to run small, whereas River Island's are more generous. Evans Ltd. and NinetoElleven(both of whom cater for large ladies) run medium to very generous. Barratt's Tall and Small dept. run medium to sometimes small. This is further complicated by each shoe style running longer/shortewr/wider/narrower according to the individual last, as Firefox rightly says. CONVERTING CONTINENTAL OR US OR UK SIZES TO EACH OTHER You will find the size conversion charts vary from each other too! WHAT IS THE LESSON FROM ALL THIS? Rather than relying on mail-order with the consequent hassle of returning ill-fitting footwear ad nauseum, try to visit the shoe retailers or sources and try everything on there and then. All that the above advice will tell you (re running small or large) is a rough idea of what to ask for for starters, but then don't be surprised if you have to go up or down in sizes and widths. In the end it's simply trial and error! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

im not sure about the arch support. im a UK9 but have been too fond of the general fashion womens 8's, and have a few pairs some of which fit some which dont. At MK one their block boots fit me fine, but the stilettos are too small by quite a bit. RAID boots are very generous. Although labelled 8, my sz9 feet feel very loose inside, so as it has been said the sizes can vary daz

• 2 weeks later...

just thought I would add a bit to this thread. I went out shopping with my girlfriend on the weekend as she was after a pair of knee length boots - she found a pair she liked in Faith (I found a pair I liked too and she said "go on try them on" but I chickened out). They were a size 6 but she let me try them on at home and they fit me - a size 8. A bit random! As it was she went and changed them for a smaller size the next day. They are robot2 on the faith website if anyone is curious, and I quite fancy getting a similar pair although I will definatly need to try them on first and practice walking in thin heels.

I have high heel courts and pumps and high heel calf and knee-high boots and there is quite a difference in the sizing. They range anywhere from US womens size 7m to US womens size 9m and they all fit very nicely. It's a lottery on sizes here in the U.S. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

As this is in regard to Next shoes, I will add that my wifes size 7 Next shoes fit me very comfortably, and I am an 8. Also an Evans boot in a size 6 fitted me ok too. Looks like it's down to trying them on, as everyone says.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly