Walking on grating in heels

I ran across this picture somewhere, and after doing a bit of research, found out it is the Korean pop star and actress IU. The caption on this translates, "Top 10 female talents." Also in the course of my brief research, I found many several pictures of the singer Rihanna walking on grating in stiletto heels. I have never personally tried it, but I have my doubts. Judging from some of the stills, I want to see video before I believe it's possible to step that accurately yet casually. Still, it makes a pretty cool picture. What do you think?

RedHeelsGrate2.jpg

Once at the Pitt RIvers Museum in Oxford (wonderful place) I saw a woman in thin heels walking carefully to avoid all the floor gratings. Light levels are low to protect the exhibits which added to her problems.

It's a very special skill to transverse a grate in thin heels, but especially in stilettos. You need to put your weight on your toes and none on your heels. Any weight on your heels can spell instantaneous complete disaster for you and your heel.

There is one parking spot (closest to my office) which has a grate right where your car door opens. I am very careful when I take that spot.

13 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

It's not an issue. Walking on soft ground is the same. When you know the surface gives, you simply use the front of your foot. Don't be fooled. Not a special talent.

Right, I get it. I, of course, have been there (walking on soft ground), as all of us on here have surely been at some time or other. I'm not at all saying it's impossible. What I am trying to get at is I want to see what this grate-walking looks like in a video. I would be willing to bet money that it doesn't look as natural and graceful as some of the commentary about IU and Rihanna might have you believe. I think a ballerina could make it work out, though.

13 hours ago, Cali said:

But walking in gravel is.

Oh, goodness yes! Depending upon the size of the gravel. Well packed pea gravel with lots of fines in it is manageable, but 2 inch gravel is treacherous, even in construction boots!

Walking over a stony beach with lots of different size rocks is hard work. And that was in walking boots. Or the sort of gravelly beach where it slips and slides. Both utterly suicidal in heels.

Try walking on cobblestones in Brussels.  That’s a real challenge.

also a good way to ruin an expensive pair of pumps.

Edited by Bubba136
  • Like 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

A few years ago in Birmingham (UK, not Alabama) I saw a number of young women walking in a cobbled area while wearing high stilettos. I was amazed that they seemed to do it easily and naturally.

5 hours ago, at9 said:

A few years ago in Birmingham (UK, not Alabama) I saw a number of young women walking in a cobbled area while wearing high stilettos. I was amazed that they seemed to do it easily and naturally.

Practice like cali says. Also, i have said this a million times but nobody hears. Spike stilettos are easier on uneven surfaces due to one very obvious reason. The thinner heel is locally in contact with the surface. Block heels start to contact at the back and move foward as you step, i.e., they don't contact a single point. 30 plus yrs in mostly spike stilettos has born out this observation. Several blockier heels have always given me me trouble.

• Like 3

I would have to agree with both of these assessments. In many situations, stilettos are easier, and at the same time, they wear out very quickly compared to even slightly thicker heels.

Here's some conventional wisdom I just can't get behind, and that is that wedges are somehow easier to walk in than skinnier heels, and everyone seems to recommend them for beginning heelers. Yes, they don't sink into grass, and you don't worry about getting your heel caught in a sidewalk grate, but it seems to me that most wedges are actually harder to walk in than regular heels, because there is more surface area there to lever your ankle sideways, should you step on the odd pebble or twig. The only wedges that I find myself reaching for when I feel like a wedge are those with a very narrow profile from side to side, in order to reduce the amount of destructive torque available to my ankles. They sure do make incredibly weird looking footprints in the snow, however!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I would have to agree with both of these assessments. In many situations, stilettos are easier, and at the same time, they wear out very quickly compared to even slightly thicker heels.

Here's some conventional wisdom I just can't get behind, and that is that wedges are somehow easier to walk in than skinnier heels, and everyone seems to recommend them for beginning heelers. Yes, they don't sink into grass, and you don't worry about getting your heel caught in a sidewalk grate, but it seems to me that most wedges are actually harder to walk in than regular heels, because there is more surface area there to lever your ankle sideways, should you step on the odd pebble or twig. The only wedges that I find myself reaching for when I feel like a wedge are those with a very narrow profile from side to side, in order to reduce the amount of destructive torque available to my ankles. They sure do make incredibly weird looking footprints in the snow, however!

The wedge or no wedge will forever  be a long debate . What it boils down to is what an individual likes . Me , as most of you know prefer the wedge style heels because they seem to give me more support . I have never had any problems with wedges , where stiletto's seem to be a weak and flimsy shoe in my opinion  . To be honest , a wedge heel has never broken off or caused any sprain for me . Agreed , wedges do make weird looking footprints in the snow , those my just be my footprints . 

Be Safe Everyone , MIP 

Edited by maninpumps
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, maninpumps said:

The wedge or no wedge will forever  be a long debate . What it boils down to is what an individual likes . Me , as most of you know prefer the wedge style heels because they seem to give me more support . I have never had any problems with wedges , where stiletto's seem to be a weak and flimsy shoe in my opinion  . To be honest , a wedge heel has never broken off or caused any sprain for me . Agreed , wedges do make weird looking footprints in the snow , those my just be my footprints . 

Be Safe Everyone , MIP 

I actually have a number of wedges, and I am very picky about them, and it seems I am still learning about what works for me. Obviously whatever that is, may not work for you. But what I seem to have discovered is that if the sole of the wedge has a fairly narrow profile, as shown in the picture of the DVF clogs below, wedges tend to walk very smoothly for me. I know, that's a funny way to put it, the shoes walking for me! Anyway, if the sole is broader, as shown in the picture of the Nine West sandals below, I don't know, they just seem a lot more "clomp-y" to me. Not that they're hard to walk in, they just lack something-or-other. Anyway, that's just what I've discovered for my personal preferences.

DVFWedgesole.jpg

9WWedgeSole.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

nyway, if the sole is broader, as shown in the picture of the Nine West sandals below, I don't know, they just seem a lot more "clomp-y" to me.

I think that goes for any heel that is wider/blocky, wedge or not.  They tend to clomp when you walk in them.  

Over the years I have found what basic designs work and don't work. Like full zippers work, partial zippers and no zippers don't. Pumps are completely impossible or anything with a tight toe box strap. 

I have also discovered that my preferences have changed over the years. Lately, I have been more into stilettos and tall boots.  I love my wedges, but I'm not into wedge boots.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:34 PM, Cali said:

Over the years I have found what basic designs work and don't work. Like full zippers work, partial zippers and no zippers don't. Pumps are completely impossible or anything with a tight toe box strap. 

I have also discovered that my preferences have changed over the years. Lately, I have been more into stilettos and tall boots.  I love my wedges, but I'm not into wedge boots.

I know what you mean about preferences changing over the years, and sometimes it has nothing to do with what's "in style." Can you believe that I just bought another pair of wedges right after I said that I don't care for them so much? I'll see if I can't get them on the "new shoes" thread soon. They are so cool!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Walking on grating is not easy, but doable with the weight on the front.

1404973493_DSC_5282_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.f78f2a6ae0efbc77508bf2394a018f8a.JPG

1906866926_DSC_5286_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.06efce2b94233ad37f80309e88fde312.JPG

1753398413_P4141845_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.b99595ca6ade6b54cac317230f375974.JPG

1421193108_P4141846_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.6ce8877f2d882418c6e1bb119d70f5f4.JPG

What you can see from these pictures is that the upper body is tilted forward to put the center of gravity straight above the front of the forward shoe. Simple physics!

Edited by Isolathor
added text

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)