Girls in stillettos

killer heels

21 minutes ago, chesterx said:

The ladies at my office seem to be trending towards high heels. I see plenty most days & hear even more of them thanks to the tiled halls. I'm glad to see it on the uptick but it also makes me jealous as hell....

Not sure where you work, but your experience is the complete opposite of what I'm seeing, which is a serious and distinct trend toward sneakers/casual shoes in what would typically be considered business or dress situations.  I also just posted a discussion of the complete lack of dress shoes/heels at local TJ Maxx/Marshalls sotres and the decreasing selection at DSW, Nordstrom Rack, etc.  Wish I was seeing what you are!

At some companies and industries, people have been eager to get back into the office this year because they have already announced layoffs.  Now is the time for people to dress to impress, get back in the office, and try to look important to keep their job.  

Edited by p1ng74

7 hours ago, RonC said:

Not sure where you work, but your experience is the complete opposite of what I'm seeing, which is a serious and distinct trend toward sneakers/casual shoes in what would typically be considered business or dress situations.  I also just posted a discussion of the complete lack of dress shoes/heels at local TJ Maxx/Marshalls sotres and the decreasing selection at DSW, Nordstrom Rack, etc.  Wish I was seeing what you are!

Can vouch for the decline of Nordstrom Rack. The one near me had a nice sized section for size 12-13. I bought several pairs there. Last time I was in they had converted that area in rack storage. My office is in energy corridor area of Houston. Its as stereotypical Nine-to-five as you can get. Most everyone dresses accordingly. I once had to go into work when most everyone on my floor was home, as I forgot my laptop cable. I wore some cute black flats with my slacks that day, but sure wish they were my 4" Calvin Klein pumps instead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RonC said:

Article from USA Today.  I think this is the prevalent attitude among women today.  Which doesn't bode well for heels for sure.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2020/08/10/we-ever-wear-high-heels-again-pandemic/3314964001/

Sad but honest article. I couldn't see a spot for comments. The Hey Si Mey heels i have been buying recently are listed as unisex along with many other internet sellers. I wonder if tapping into the male market with heels is the result of lost sales to women.

A few men in heels are on mainstream TV, even though they are gay, it's still being viewed by mainstream people.

I think high heels are going the way of corsets. They're still around too, but just for a fetish niche market. For the vast majority they are the stuff of history. Most women today seem to value comfort over style, and while they admire high heels, since they haven't learned to walk in them they will wear them less and less to the point that low heel, anything under 4 inches without a platform, will be considered as daring and the new high heels. I can literally walk for days and not see anything but flats and heels so low they might as well be flats. To see a woman in actual high heels has become like an UFO sighting. Sneakers are now the norm even when going out on the town.

Although if you go to different parts of the world things might be different. From what I hear in the former USSR high heels seem to be quite prevalent still.

17 hours ago, Chorlini said:

I can literally walk for days and not see anything but flats and heels so low they might as well be flats. To see a woman in actual high heels has become like an UFO sighting. Sneakers are now the norm even when going out on the town.

Yep.  That about sums it up.  And I for one am not a happy camper......

On 11/20/2020 at 4:15 AM, Chorlini said:

I think high heels are going the way of corsets. They're still around too, but just for a fetish niche market. For the vast majority they are the stuff of history. Most women today seem to value comfort over style, and while they admire high heels, since they haven't learned to walk in them they will wear them less and less to the point that low heel, anything under 4 inches without a platform, will be considered as daring and the new high heels. I can literally walk for days and not see anything but flats and heels so low they might as well be flats. To see a woman in actual high heels has become like an UFO sighting. Sneakers are now the norm even when going out on the town.

Although if you go to different parts of the world things might be different. From what I hear in the former USSR high heels seem to be quite prevalent still.

We'll see what happens, post-pandemic. I do see quite a few block heeled boots around my area in the 2-3" range, and occasionally a bit higher. Since I don't go anywhere as of late, my observations are limited to the grocery store once or twice a week, which was never really a hotbed of heels in the first place, but if I come at the right time of day, it wouldn't be out of the question to see a woman smartly dressed wearing some sort of heel, and every once in a while even stilettos. However, I doubt I'll see much for the rest of the year. I'm wondering if the office type jobs have gone back to "work from home" status. When I drove to work yesterday morning, the roads were eerily empty compared to normal.

Anytime female needs to dress up be it a prom dress, wedding, funeral or just date night out, heels will be certainly worn. Since the pandemic all those i stated don't exist or limited to some extent so the heels are left in the closet. While workplace heels are used in office place many are working from home with no need to wear or buy outfits for work. Fashion industry must be taking big hit nobody buying high fashion clothes or heels.

If any clothing or shoes being bought are useful and practical keep warm or stay dry. Sooner or later the floodgates will burst and many will start buying in a frenzy new heels and clothing complimenting the style. Christmas being season many might want to dress up for special occasion in the home.

Only seen one sighting with four five inch stiletto heels at Costco store inside. She immediately was feeling discomfort adjusting her heel while leaning on her man for support. Lot of eyes were looking at her fashion statement. Her man knew they were being watched commenting to her why she decided to wear heels shopping. She responded because i miss wearing them, makes me look better. His reply doesn't look as your feeling comfortable wearing them.  Her response,  i just got to get use to them not wearing them for months.

Goes to show you many woman itching for an excuse to wear heels in public. Many normally wouldn't dare wear it shopping when pushing a shopping cart or struggling picking up 36 bootle case of Kirkland water placing under the cart.  Unless other options are not available taking any opportunity as they can get to wear heels. 

Observing other woman looking at the heel woman they understood missing to get dressed up to go out is weighing on people in the pandemic. 

• Like 2

It seems, like it or not, many females like to only dress like guys.  Dresses, skirts, heels all appear to be on the feminine side of the aisle.  Elegance has been replaced with what appears to be unisex attire which appears masculine.  Sad state of style.

• Like 2

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Woman love to show off there legs and shape. Outfitting themselves in the beast way they can heels are mandatory.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHs_Mr3A_wa/

Stockings and heels always go together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH2tXpxL80i/

Designer heels are always going to be in vogue. Maybe there is no place you can wear them out but certainly it is nice look.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH0EN1qpW_Z/

1 hour ago, Pierre1961 said:

The risk is if most women wear flat shoes then  the few who still  wished to wear heels could feel out of fashion and weird. 

About 3 years ago I had a woman who came up and told me "Thank You." She loved high heel (stiletto pumps) and she had yielded to peer pressure from other women and had stopped wearing them. But seeing me wear heels had given her the confidence to not yield to that pressure and she was back into her high heels.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MackyHeels said:

Anytime female needs to dress up be it a prom dress, wedding, funeral or just date night out, heels will be certainly worn.

This is no longer true.  While not saying none will wear heels, many are opting for flats and crap like jeweled or sequined athletic/casual type styles or similar flat sandals.

4 hours ago, jetheelsfan said:

It seems, like it or not, many females like to only dress like guys.  Dresses, skirts, heels all appear to be on the feminine side of the aisle.  Elegance has been replaced with what appears to be unisex attire which appears masculine.  Sad state of style.

If that were true and they dressed like this guy then heels, and high stilettos would be everywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, MackyHeels said:

Many normally wouldn't dare wear it shopping when pushing a shopping cart or struggling picking up 36 bottle case of Kirkland water placing under the cart.

Haha, the struggle is real!

17 hours ago, Cali said:

So it's up to us to take up the lack of heels.  I know I'm doing my part, are you?

I'm doing my part, but it's at least partially offset by the fact that I don't really go anywhere these days, so nobody sees! If a tree falls in the forest.  .  . ?

Further thoughts about the history of heels in my lifetime: Girls in high school in the mid 1980s used to dress up quite a bit more for school that what they do today, for no apparent reason. Same with college. These dressier outfits often, but not always, involved heels. Today, I don't hang around high schools of course, but I do live within a couple hundred meters of a college campus. You just don't see the dressing up like you used to. When I was in college, I can remember specifically six girls who wore heels almost every day. At least. Those are the ones I can still remember by name. To be fair, I think two of these girls had internships somewhere which required them to dress up in suits or something approaching that. The other four wore heels every day just because. They wore them with jeans and casual skirts as well as with dressier items. There were dozens of other girls I remember who always wore heels when the situation demanded it, such as playing an orchestra concert or something like that.

13 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

When I was in college, I can remember specifically six girls who wore heels almost every day. At least. Those are the ones I can still remember by name. To be fair, I think two of these girls had internships somewhere which required them to dress up in suits or something approaching that. The other four wore heels every day just because. They wore them with jeans and casual skirts as well as with dressier items. There were dozens of other girls I remember who always wore heels when the situation demanded it, such as playing an orchestra concert or something like that.

Yeah, I was in college at the wrong time - 1969-1973.  That was certainly not a good time for heels at all, the Woodstock era when heels were pretty much nowhere to be found.  College girls wore jeans and Keds/athletic styles, flat sandals, or penny loafers.  "Heels" were chunky things of not more than a couple inches. 

I think the heel wearing peaked in the 80's.  Yes, in more recent years heels were higher and still worn often, but as you said, even girls going to class were wearing heels, and quite often with their jeans.  Even casual shoes tended to be heels, such as the Candies sandals and the thong sandals with like a three inch heel.  But even then, the trend of wearing athletic shoes while commuting had taken hold, so while the ladies at the office almost always were in heels, and one could see plenty at lunch time in the city, going back and forth to work was most often in flats or gym shoes.  I'd happily return to that behavior however!

Edited by RonC

The lady supervisor of circuit board assembly wears very high heels often (usually over 4").  The other day I heard the sound in the hall (yes I had to peek) and she had platform heels over 5", maybe 5.5".  The HR manager also wears high heels, though not as high as this lady does.  This company does not allow athletic shoes in office portion except on Friday.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Bubba136 said:

Some females wear heels because it makes them  look more feminine and m.ore attractive to men.  

It's about getting attention from those that you like. Heels short skirts, leggings do just that. All comes to the confidence woman have with their bodies. If females feel comfortable and get many eyes on the lean legs they enjoy the attention it brings. Wearing flats maybe more comfortable but if gal wants to make herself stand out from the crowd heels are the go to gold standard. Depending on the heels they are wearing also amount of attention they willing to encompass from their peers.

22 hours ago, Heelster said:

Heels ???? Never see them anymore. Went to the Grocery store yesterday. 40Degrees F and we had women in Pajama pants, flip flops, and slippers - - - Yes, fuzzy slippers.

Yeah, this pretty much sums things up.  Might find a few older women with a boot with maybe a 2" heel, but the younger ladies are all about flipflops and sneakers.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 4:50 AM, Heelster said:

Heels ???? Never see them anymore. Went to the Grocery store yesterday. 40Degrees F and we had women in Pajama pants, flip flops, and slippers - - - Yes, fuzzy slippers.

yup... flip flops, flip flops and more flip flops....  oh, and slippers

I had to take my mom to the grocery store yesterday. There were a surprising number of cowboy boots at the store, and no flip flops! Of course, the weather was so terrible that someone would have to be pretty die hard to wear sandals yesterday.

31 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

I had to take my mom to the grocery store yesterday. There were a surprising number of cowboy boots at the store, and no flip flops! Of course, the weather was so terrible that someone would have to be pretty die hard to wear sandals yesterday.

No mules or sandals for you either?

• Haha 1