Struggles in Platform boots.

kevloveheel

I was at the thrift store the other day when I came across a very unique pair of platform combat boots. They were clearly modified by someone who had cut out a wooden platform maybe three inches tall and attached it to the bottom of the shoe. I tried them on, and they fit me well. I didn't have much of a chance to walk in them in the thrift store, but I could tell they were very heavy with the block of wood. 

Anyways I bought them and decided to take them for a walk around to see how they were. So I drove down to get some coffee. As soon as I stepped out of the car, I realized these shoes were going to be trickier than I imagined. The hardness and flatness of the platform made it impossible for me to walk naturally. There was no way to roll my foot.  I had to to walk really slow and take short steps. Even still, it felt like my feet were being weighed down by concrete as I clopped along. I thought about turning back, but was determined for coffee. I had to walk a little ways from the parking garage to the coffee shop, but even after  a 5 min walk, I could tell the boots were rubbing the back of my feet. I walked in to the coffee shop, and I felt a few people staring at me as I slowly made my way over to the counter to order. All the tables were full so I got it to go. I took a little detour on my way back to the parking garage. My heels were really starting to blister. Not only was the platform  of the shoes making it hard to walk, but now my heels were really in pain, and I was having a hard time going anywhere.  Finally I made it back to the garage and had to change shoes for the drive home. I'll definitely be needing thicker socks if I'm going to wear these again. Nonetheless it was a fun time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kevloveheel said:

My heels were really starting to blister. Not only was the platform  of the shoes making it hard to walk, but now my heels were really in pain, and I was having a hard time going anywhere. .... Nonetheless it was a fun time. 

Sorry @kevloveheel, but you need to work on your definition of fun.

5 hours ago, kevloveheel said:

...... The hardness and flatness of the platform made it impossible for me to walk naturally. There was no way to roll my foot.  ....

It's hard to walk in a shoe which has a rigid sole unless there's some toe spring: https://paceathletic.com/blogs/news/15507849-the-relationship-between-plantar-fasciitis-forefoot-rocker-toe-spring

Many years ago I had a pair of kneehigh boots with about 1" rigid platform and 2.5" heel. The platform was absolutely flat. Even at that very modest height it made walking quite awkward. Had to land very conciously on the heel with the toe raised, otherwise I'd trip over tiny irregularities. No way to roll the foot forward into the next step.

Edited by at9

I remember in my early heeling days having a pair of platform clogs that were reasonably comfortable, but they were just a bitch to walk in. They weren't all that high, but the design, and I assume this wasn't on purpose, made walking naturally nearly impossible. I got rid of them fairly quickly, once I realized that no amount of practice was going to make these shoes attractive.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:52 PM, at9 said:

It's hard to walk in a shoe which has a rigid sole unless there's some toe spring: https://paceathletic.com/blogs/news/15507849-the-relationship-between-plantar-fasciitis-forefoot-rocker-toe-spring

Many years ago I had a pair of kneehigh boots with about 1" rigid platform and 2.5" heel. The platform was absolutely flat. Even at that very modest height it made walking quite awkward. Had to land very conciously on the heel with the toe raised, otherwise I'd trip over tiny irregularities. No way to roll the foot forward into the next step.

That's exactly the problem I was having. Not a very high heel, just awkward to walk in because of the flatness and hardness of the platform.