"Pump Bump"

jetheelsfan

Has anyone else developed significant bumps on the back of the heel of your feet?  Something caused these to develop many years ago and I saw the term PUMP BUMP.  It described a growth on the back of the foot commonly seen on ladies who frequently wore pumps.  I have worn heels off and on for the last 50 years but never was able to wear for any extended length of time on the infrequent times I have been able over that period of time.  It was stated that wearing pumps "irritated" the back of the heel.  It never felt painful but something caused them to develop on booth feet.  

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Honestly no. I work in a factory, so even though i wearheels every day i haven't developed several issues normally associated with extensive high heel wear because i spen as many hours not in heels.

I don't have "pump bump", but I do have a bone spur on the side of my heel, and I can almost guarantee you that it was caused at a certain point in my life by ill fitting work boots. It hasn't been bothering me too much lately. It wouldn't keep me out of the army, anyway. I have often wondered about what @Jkrenzer alluded to. Like him, I wear heels every day, but I can't wear heels at my construction job. I have never experienced much in the way of negative effects because of heel wearing, but I wonder if I would if I had an office job.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 1:24 PM, dagino said:

It's not from wearing heels. It is a physiological disorder. It is the calcification of the tendon attachment.

Good to know that. Here I had thought it was the heels behind them   …   Thanks 

• Like 1

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Like I said before, I don't have "pump bump," well how could I? I mostly wear mules! But still, after doing some cursory research, I have found that that Haglund's Syndrome is idiopathic, that is, we don't really know the true cause. Like bunions, people tend to blame high heels. I am convinced that all of my foot troubles were caused by ill-fitting work boots, and well, wearing shoes too much in general. But that's a whole 'nuther topic.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 6:24 PM, dagino said:

It's not from wearing heels. It is a physiological disorder. It is the calcification of the tendon attachment.

That is interesting.   I have a small 'lump' just above one heel, which I think arose after I shut a farm gate into the back of my ankle many years ago, badly bruising the tendon (but, fortunately, doing nothing worse).   It gives me no trouble and doesn't seem to rub against any footwear.

• 1 year later...

I had a job that required wearing of boots.  After 30+ years of boot wearing (only during work time - ha ha) I developed a "bump" on the back of one heel.  The physical therapist did call it a "pump bump" and asked jokingly if I wore high heels, since a lot of gals have that condition.  

Now retied for 10+ years, no more boots, and the "pump bump" is gone, I don't wear pumps, I prefer sandals.  Have fun all....   sf 

• Like 3

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"