Shrinking leather thoughts/opinions please

So it’s been a while since I’ve posted on the forum, but I’ve found myself posting more and more on Instagram. Life is staying busy even during the shelter in place.

That being said, I have a question regarding shrinking leather shafts of some boots I just got. My wife and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary, and as a surprise, she found a pair of Frye boots I absolutely love and she got them at a very good price from Poshmark. The foot fits great and quite comfortable. The downside is that the shaft is too big when worn over or under any jeans I have.

So I have been trying to read up and saw a couple of suggestions:

1) soak the section of boots I wish to shrink for about an hour to get them good and wet. Make sure that I also wear a pair of wet socks or whatever underneath them as well. Then wear them around until the socks/jeans dry and then let them air dry the rest of the way

2) Spray the section to shrink with hot water and use a blow dryer on low-medium heat to dry them out, applying conditioner once done to prevent cracking.

I have enough time to do the first once, and it seems less harsh than the second option. Has anyone ever been able to successfully do this? I am ordering conditioner and cleaner tonight.

I think the first method may work ok, given enough time, which you obviously have. However, I cannot understand how actually wearing the boots after you get them soaked could possibly do anything but stretch them out further. I mean, unless you sat in one spot and didn't move for several hours. I would just try letting them dry without wearing them. Possibly put them under an incandescent lamp to provide a minimal amount of heat. I think you are right to be reluctant to use a hair dryer, even on low.

• Like 1

From what I was reading, the idea of wearing them after soaking them is to keep them from shrinking too much. What I was reading suggested that they’ll shrink regardless of you wearing them as they dry, but using your feet/legs as a form. This way if they did shrink a considerable amount, it wouldn’t be too much so as to make it uncomfortable to wear.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KneeBooted said:

From what I was reading, the idea of wearing them after soaking them is to keep them from shrinking too much. What I was reading suggested that they’ll shrink regardless of you wearing them as they dry, but using your feet/legs as a form. This way if they did shrink a considerable amount, it wouldn’t be too much so as to make it uncomfortable to wear.

Yes, this theory makes some sense....Also uses the heat off your legs to help dry the boots gently.....

Post some pics of the Frye boots and how the fit your legs, with and without jeans....  I love Frye boots, but they seem to run a little small, tough to find in larger sizes....Surely worth an attempt to make them fit you better....Wondering if a good shoe/boot cobbler might have some suggestions also...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pebblesf said:

Yes, this theory makes some sense....Also uses the heat off your legs to help dry the boots gently.....

Post some pics of the Frye boots and how the fit your legs, with and without jeans....  I love Frye boots, but they seem to run a little small, tough to find in larger sizes....Surely worth an attempt to make them fit you better....Wondering if a good shoe/boot cobbler might have some suggestions also...

I’ll try to post pictures later today for the fit issues. The calves are just so big and I hate the gap when over jeans and under jeans it makes it look silly.

I would love to get the advice of a cobbler, but haven’t had a good recommendation for my area.

• Like 1

Well before trying it this method out on the boots I don’t want to mess up, I found a cheap pair of Frye knee high boots on Poshmark for $20 to test on. They’re worn out on the soles but will be a good test for shrinking in general

Here is a picture of the gap

9307514A-99AD-45E3-B3B3-87784B44AD42.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KneeBooted said:

Well before trying it this method out on the boots I don’t want to mess up, I found a cheap pair of Frye knee high boots on Poshmark for $20 to test on. They’re worn out on the soles but will be a good test for shrinking in general

Here is a picture of the gap

9307514A-99AD-45E3-B3B3-87784B44AD42.jpeg

They actually look like really nice boots there, I’d see about sorting out those worn soles and wearing them regularly, can’t really see the heels in that picture and is that a back zip i can see too, good luck with the shrinking although I’m not too optimistic about that I’m afraid 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maninboots said:

They actually look like really nice boots there, I’d see about sorting out those worn soles and wearing them regularly, can’t really see the heels in that picture and is that a back zip i can see too, good luck with the shrinking although I’m not too optimistic about that I’m afraid 

@maninboots I should’ve clarified, the picture is of the boots that my wife got me. The ones I found for testing on are some black riding boots that I haven’t yet received.

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I don’t think the shrinking thing will work either. I think you’ll need to get a cobbler to take them in a bit. 

Yeah I’m not against the idea of having a cobbler bring them in, but it’s a matter of finding a good one.

• Like 2