Back pain when not wearing heels.

Ayanie

Question

Hello everyone. I have been wearing heels and wedges for about 5 years now. Before this I never even knew that there is such a thing as being permanently high heeled. I have worn 3” heels and wedges for work and at home I’m barefoot. I do stretch out my calf muscles and have no problems having my feet flat to the ground and such. My problem is about couple of weeks ago I started to just wore flats and after a while my lower back started hurting and feeling stiff. Then I started going back into heels and within a day or two my back miraculously feels better and is back to normal. 
Ive heard high heels can cause back pain when worn. But is it possible to have back pains when not wearing heels? Has anyone else experienced this before? If so does anyone has an idea on what is the reason for this?

Edited by Ayanie
Added clarification

4 answers to this question

I wear heels for back pain, but I did nasty things to my body. Just part of the injury had my femur jammed into my hip and it grow a bone spur. Without heels it rubs, so a 3.75 to 5.4 inch heel changes my alignment. Heels allows me to walk without pain (most of the time). If I haven't worn heels long enough during the day I will wake up (somethings screaming) in PAIN! 

You use different muscles and muscles are used in different ways when you wear heels verses flats. You most likely over used a muscle you hadn't used much.

Thanks for letting me know Cali. I just finished reading the thread dodgy back and was surprised to see many others in a similar situation. As for my back it has gotten stiff and throb so much until i started wearing heels again to for work. I dont know if that means im at a cross roads of whether to deal with the back pain and not wear heels anymore or am i just better off continuing as i were. My legs and feet are totally fine and I still retain my full range of motion though. 

I don’t wear heels AGAINST back pain. But as a long time back pain sufferer I also realized that heels helps a lot.

Here are 6” Oxford I am wearing today ( already for 4 hours ) for house cleaning. 

Note: I am size W12 

3EB18551-6E84-4D48-84F4-6FAD66737821.jpeg

• Like 1