Shoe hates

redandwhite

I have managed to get hold of what might be legitimately considered a "stiletto" wedge. Which, despite being a contradictory terms, sounds nicer than "meat cleaver" wedge. I will probably continue with the meat cleaver terminology, as it makes me chuckle, and that's important.

I bought these supposedly vintage Bakers mules for a very reasonable price, and as it turns out, they beat the above contestants for thinness of the wedge by a noticeable amount. The thinnest part of the wedge narrows to a mere 3/8", or <10 mm, which is indeed true stiletto territory. Even the heel cap itself widens to only 7/16", which is stiletto gray area. See a comparison between the new narrow Bakers and the Bruno Magli wedges I posted before.

It is a little bit strange to be writing this in "Shoe Hates," but that's where the discussion started, and I don't think it merits a whole nuther thread.

BakersBrunoMagliCompare.jpg

BakersWedgesSide.jpg

Nice mules, and I like the narrow back of the wedge heel.   But (as previously stated), it should not be called a 'stiletto wedge' as, proportions aside, anything resembling a stiletto has to have a slim 'spike' appearance and a wedge heel, which has a continguous sole from front to back, cannot be likened to a spike/dagger/stiletto.   A meat cleaver, or maybe a machette, seems apt.

'Stiletto Wedges' was a stlye in the 2000's. Marketing would never let them be called meat cleaver nor stiletto 'ice picks'.

Proud owner of a Victoria's Secret 'stiletto wedges'.😁

Edited by Cali

Oh, I totally agree that "meat cleaver' is never going to be a winner as far as marketing imagery goes! I don't blame whoever is marketing these for coming up with the term "stiletto wedges", but beyond this applied term I can't see them as stilettos.  

Edited by Shyheels

'Marketing' is to blame for a lot that is wrong in society.   My definition: 'The dishonest misrepresentation of goods and services that people rarely want or need'.

That said, would a 'cleaver wedge' or a 'chopper wedge' be any less acceptable to the marketeers than a 'stiletto wedge'?   We already have a 'scoop wedge' and doubtless others.

Edited by Puffer
typo
  • Like 1