Nail Care, the Case for Natural Nails

mlroseplant

• 2 months later...

A new picture my friend sent me recently. A nice change from the black nail polish she is always wont to wear. Natural nails!

This got me to thinking about the pandemic. I wonder when I will be able to visit Vietnam again? It sure won't be this February, and this will mark the longest time I've ever been away from family and friends.

Huyenbluenails.JPG

I had acrylic nails for 3 years before the pandemic and I never broke one.

But my nails artist left town so I haven't had time tp get a manicure since.  Maybe in December.

Finally got a pedicure two weeks ago.

My natural nails are terrible. They break off all the time. Every day I am trimming and messing around with them as they break and split. Once the finger nail tip separates from the nail bed they split and tear.

I get tempted to get fake nails and keep them short, maybe just finger tip length, but I hear that it is not good to have fakes all the time, plus I don't know if I want to deal with getting them touched up every few weeks.

@Pumped you don't need to get stiletto nails when you get "fake nails".  But it is a commitment.  I have longer nails than average because of hand issues.

It's a function of how bad your nails are. My thumb nails split from the nail bed down. which is painful  I got it covered with acrylic for year, but got nail fungus at the same time the spas where forced to shut.  Cured it with UV light and it is almost grown out.  The thickening of the nail held the nail together, but as that is almost grown out I can see the ridge where it ready to split again.  

The issue with acrylics is that they need to remove some of it to refill.  Some spas are too aggressive and remove some of the nail as well, thus thinning your nail.  My nail artist was going to switch me to another process, but the pandemic hit and she moved back to her home town.  

Guys,  I have to get a pedi once a month as I have had spinal surgery and cannot get down there to take care of nails.  Also diabetes has done a number on both finger and toe nails.  My natural nail are very soft and bend like skin.  My nail teck has suggested getting a DIP done to my finger nails.  That works for me and lasts about 3 weeks before they start breaking.  Just a suggestion.  

Happy Healing