Stuck Indoors? What are you doing to survive?

With my health condition, I'm pretty much required to be an isolate for twelve weeks.  Happily, I'm not uncomfortable with my own company.  I do lots of puzzles and even devise them as an income.  What do you chaps get up to?

Writing a novel, reading novels, getting out for my once--per-day exercise (a bicycle ride in my case) and cataloguing my photographs (a job I've been putting off for ages). Considering starting a blog of book reviews given all the reading I'm doing.

So far not the least bit bored...

Edited by Shyheels

Working more than ever. Turn my breakfast nook into a studio. Trying to get a vegetable garden in. Cloning tomatoes currently. Beans carrots, onion, lettuce, peas, all growing nicely. The peas and lettuce are tasty. Fruit trees in blossom, gopher having the time of their life. Construction (demolition) as soon as I have time and it dries out a bit. Have to use this time to design a new house as well.  And then there a million other projects to get done.

Only trouble I'm sitting working remotely for too many hours each day, not enough time standing walking in heels to meet my body's needs.

Edited by Cali

I've been working remotely for 25 years and, yes, it is far too easy to find yourself sitting for far too long each day. My wife who is working from home now is just discovering this. With fewer distractions and and intensity of focus the hours go and before you know it you've sat for six, eight hours without a break - not at all good for the back...

I like to think of John Jacob Astor playing poker with his fellow millionaires in the first class lounge even as the Titanic was sinking, knowing full well what was about to happen....the very definition of sang froid

19 hours ago, meganiwish said:

Thanks, chaps.  Is there no-one who knows how to treat a crisis like a crisis?  Doing it well is my job, then the Yanks weigh in.  Anyone would think they won the war ;) 

Sometimes I wonder which is harder to manage, crisis, or panic.  

It happened to be a good time for us to do the full garden this year too.  I changed the carburetor on the tractor and tilled it... wearing elephant boots with 2” heels of course:

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 2

When I go out on my bicycle rides I find there is a markedly different atmosphere to the streets - unease, distrust, suspicion. The heavy handed, arbitrary,  and sometimes blatantly illegal, tactics used by the police to enforce their own idiosyncratic interpretations of the quarantine guidelines - such as arresting people for buying Easter eggs on the grounds they are not an essential food item - only adds to the weirdness and levels of distrust.   

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

I am not being as productive as I should be. As far as income, I just found out yesterday that I will be paid for the next three weeks at least, so that's good. I don't see us getting back to work before May at the earliest.

"Bad" ones are the small, very small minority.  These are LOTS of GOOD Police Officers, Doctors, Truck Drivers, Store Clerks, Plumbers, Electricians, you name it.  Only hear about the few "bad" ones.  Lets celebrate and thank the GOOD ones....   Smile...   sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

40 minutes ago, SF said:

"Bad" ones are the small, very small minority.  These are LOTS of GOOD Police Officers, Doctors, Truck Drivers, Store Clerks, Plumbers, Electricians, you name it.  Only hear about the few "bad" ones.  Lets celebrate and thank the GOOD ones....   Smile...   sf

I agree - in most cases. But over here this sort of arbitrary, indeed whimsical, law enforcement is in danger of becoming formalised -  the stated policies of entire city and county police forces, not merely the activities of a few rogue cops. These police forces are literally making up laws as they go. One of our former Supreme Court justices wrote a column in a national newspaper just yesterday warning that with these guys being given carte blanch we are fast in danger of becoming a police state.  

Edited by Shyheels

Policing in the UK is different to most countries. Our cops don't routinely carry guns. Policing is, or should be, done with the consent of the community. The police are meant to be part of the community, not "other". When this relationship break down, the whole system of policing breaks with it. There have been serious problems with racism in the police. Though that problem is hardly unique to the UK.

This story is disturbing. From 2 news outlets with very different political viewpoints:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/26/police-officer-robyn-williams-sentenced-unpaid-work-possessing-child-abuse-video

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11171358/senior-met-police-sacked-child-abuse-possession/

• 4 weeks later...

I am still working, employed by a company that falls under "essential". That said I am working only four days a week, but still getting paid for five. I was on the road doing sales calls, but now am an overpaid delivery driver bring parts and equipment to customers. We are not under a full "lock down" here, home stores are open, clothing stores are closed, as are bars, unless they serve food, then it is take out only.

The extra day off has me doing odd jobs around the house. A bit of minor remodeling. I am replacing three windows, as soon as they get here. My wife cleaned out the hall closet, repainted and I hung new shelves. (We have been in this house for almost thirty years and the first time that closet has been painted since!) My mom called me the other day. she had a foot of water in her basement. She got it pumped out on her own, but need a more permanent solution, so I had to break quarantine and help her out, a bit of PVC and a new sump pump. I have some projects with my motorcycles in my shop.  Plus the weather is finally nice so we can get outside. I might have to get my bicycle out.

I am probably busier now than before! 

• 2 weeks later...

Went out and drove about 650 miles yesterday:  

I didn't anticipate getting to go in anywhere particularly nice so I just wore some dirty boots.  It was a beautiful day and interesting to see how people working on reopening certain businesses.  Entire permanent patios and structures have been built at shopping malls to facilitate curbside shopping.  I stopped in at a restaurant that is a nation-wide chain, and corporate seems to have been very busy putting together new menus, signs, and policies, and things are pretty well thought out.  

In the UK anyone who hasn't got a good reason to be driving far away from home is likely to get stopped by the police and fined. Two examples amongst many:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/man-stopped-police-m1-leicestershire-4023239

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-52532267

While there have been examples of overzealous policing of the lockdown in the UK the cases I've mentioned certainly deserved their fines. Example of idiotic policing which I mentioned before. There are others : https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/bakery-employee-confronts-police-officer-after-threat-of-fine-for-putting-safe-queuing-marks-on-pave-1.498565

At least I don't think we've had any incidents like this in the UK yet: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-michigan-family-charged-with-murdering-security-guard-who-was-enforcing-face-mask-policy-11983353

Edited by at9