Grade school girl in heels for her act.

luvmaryjanes

Many years ago I was at a show at my son's grade school. Kids that were to act later in the night were on the floor in front of the stage. We were on the front row behind them. One girl was wearing a fuzzy house coat and slippers as part of her act. Within the slippers I could catch a glimpse of something my brain found hard to accept. Beautiful black heels. When she was on stage she did a little dance. Half way thru the dance she took off the robe and kicked off the slippers. I guess the parents went out and bought her black heels. The girl was 6th grade at the most. Nice kidd leather heels You can guess she must have practiced around the house to dance that well wearing them.  Sometimes you must believe your eyes.

• Like 1

I do not remember any girls wearing any substantial heels in 6th grade (and I would have noticed), but by 7th grade, there were a few girls who started wearing heels regularly. By that, I mean at least once a week. This was 1980, and the style at that time here in the Midwest U.S. was sandals with a small platform and somewhat chunky wooden heels, somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 1/2 - 4 inches. Always worn with nude or suntan pantyhose, which seems very strange to me now, but that was what they all wore, summer or winter.

The girl who wore heels the most was Tiffany F., who dressed up at least three times a week and always wore the same wooden-heeled sandals. She was definitely a child of the eighties, with feathered back hair that you could probably bounce a basketball off of from all the hairspray, and remarkably long fingernails. I also recall that at that age, she suffered from fairly severe acne, something I myself was thankfully spared from.

In forth grade there was a French girl who wore low heel pumps. By sixth grade (1987) moist days there at least one or two girls in low heel pumps with the occasional in higher, 3-inch or so pumps for band or choir concerts. Probably where I got my love for low heels and wedge flats. 

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I remember one young lady I went to high school with in the mid '70's. Very attractive young lady.  She came from a wealthy family and dressed the part.  Even in blue jeans she was well put together. She would never show up in jeans and a plain shirt or sweater. Always had a scarf, necklace, bracelets or some other addition to accessorize what she wore, a complete package. She often wore dresses and heels, and her style of her dresses were more of what a bit older woman would wear, not your typical high school student dress. Very prim and proper, stylish, nice conservative dresses and heels. I keep thinking of Jacqueline Lee Kennedy Onassis when i think of her. I believe she helped me get through puberty faster! 

I wonder what became of her. Most likely married, 4-5 kids and gained 100 pounds!

• 2 weeks later...

My first encounter with a classmate wearing heels to class was in the 7th grade.  She frequently wore a textured bone colored classic style plain pump style with maybe a 1 3/4" jet heel.  I was mesmerized by Georgina as she glided ahead of me on the way to lunch.  The other girls were not the only ones jealous of her being able to have her heels.  That was in the early 7th grade and by the next year, most of the girls had their very own and I was still jealous. That was in 1964/65 school year and when I checked the Aldens catalogue kids shoes, I was stunned to see a page marked, "She'll feel so-o grown up in her first heels, Just a little bit higher to delight her but low enough for healthful foot comfort."  They started at a size 12 with a jet heel but at the time did not realize that was a size for girls much younger.  The girls my age were actually wearing full adult sizes but with much shorter heels.  
The next year in grade 8 for the class photo, almost every girl was wearing a pair of heels for the photo,  This was just before the demise of the stiletto and most were in 2 to 2 1/4 inch heels.  But Karen came in with a pair of "sky scraper" heels and tried so hard to put them on but were too small.  She was so mad she could not wear those two tone turquoise and cream pointed toe pumps and stomped around in her penny loafers the rest of the day.  I kind of wondered who or where she got them to have not had the chance to try them on before the photo.  The other girls were so enamored with her attempt --- as was I. 

• Like 1

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I recall a girl in 6th grade (1963 or so) wearing a pair of bright blue patent pumps with a kitten (two inches or so) heels to school once or twice a week.  Those were the first heels on a classmate.  When we graduated from 8th grade in 1965, the teacher told the girls to wear no more than mid heels, which at the time were basically 2.5 inches, and everyone should wear white shoes as well.  One girl that came from a large family who didn't have the cash to go buy her a pair of new shoes wore a pair of her mother's pumps that were probably 3.5 inches, so she stood out from the crowd - in a good way!  Sadly, by the time high school rolled around, we were into the hippie years and heels were quickly becoming chunky rather than stiletto.  There were scant few stilettos worn in high school no matter the occasion.  I've never lost my attraction to the classic pump (we called them spike heels back then) of the early/mid sixties.  I was very happy to see the style return in the late 1980's, but again, it seems like the sleek, thin heel pump is fading into the sunset. Yes, they are still out there, but they are becoming a much smaller part of the heeled shoe offerings.  If they should ever make a full fledged return, I likely won't live long enough to see it!

• Like 1