Baker's Qualicraft

jetheelsfan

Did anyone else find shopping there to be a great experience?  They may not have been the top best quality but the styles were some of the best styles when stilettos and height came back into style.  I always like their clearance sale at the end of the summer season.  They dropped the price each week of the sale until it was pennies on the dollar for a pair.  They had a few size 11s and I was able to squeeze into 10s back then but not now.  
Of course they have gone the way of Payless, Kinney, Nobils, Thom McCann, Butlers and a slew of others over the years.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Ahhh, Bakers Shoes (C H Bakers out here on the west coast as I remember)...   Back in the 70’s when I was a teen (I have been attracted to gals shoes for as long as I can remember) I began to explore shoe shopping and found Bakers.  In those days gals shoes pretty much only went to size 10, and I was a size 10/11.  Bakers was one of the few stores that had some shoes in size 11, thankfully that has changed over the years. 

Those days I was shy/scared - I was just a kid - so I did not try on in the store, instead telling the store clerk that the shoes were for my “mom” or “girlfriend.”  I’m sure the clerk knew I was lying. 

I had several pair of Bakers “Qualicraft” sandals that I wore a lot.  I actually still have one pair of flat strappy sandals from Bakers. Haven’t worn them in years. Maybe I will drag them outta the closet this summer....   

Yes Bakers, great memories, a part of my world back then....  A guy who proudly wears gals flat and heeled sandals, love it...  

Have fun....   sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Shopped at Bakers also back in the 70’s.  Back then, I could wear almost anything they stocked because of my woman’s size 9 feet.  

• Like 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bakers was before my time as a heeler, but I definitely remember the stores, and I remember that they seemed to carry some stuff that was really high and fairly radical at the time. Does anybody remember when the metal heels were in style? I think Bakers sold a lot of those. I don't think the style lasted very long, probably on account of them being fairly difficult to walk in. Here is a screen shot from the movie "Single White Female," in which the metal heels were used as a murder weapon. I do in fact own one pair of Bakers. They are really high and steep for a mainstream shoe. Or what used to be a mainstream shoe.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 6.23.06 AM.png

On 1/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, SF said:

Back in the 70’s when I was a teen, I began to explore shoe shopping and found Bakers.  In those days gals shoes pretty much only went to size 10, and I was a size 10/11.  Bakers was one of the few stores that had some shoes in size 11, thankfully that has changed over the years. 

Those days I was shy/scared - I was just a kid - so I did not try on in the store, instead telling the store clerk that the shoes were for my “mom” or “girlfriend.”  I’m sure the clerk knew I was lying. 

Your scenario sounds just about like mine.  I guess you are a few years younger than my arrival in 1953.  I too used the same excuse for looking and making the occasional purchase of a size 10 and really gave more than an 11 a closer look when on the clearance racks.  It was kind of a gamble making the purchase only to find they did not fit well.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:32 AM, mlroseplant said:

Does anybody remember when the metal heels were in style? I think Bakers sold a lot of those. I don't think the style lasted very long, probably on account of them being fairly difficult to walk in. 

Not sure what year it was but I bought a pair of red pumps with the metal Spike which ended with about a 1/8 inch diameter flat spot.  They were marked as a size 10 but they were a mismark of maybe an 8.  They had a silver bow on the back of the heel but my foot would not come close to slipping into those as they were.  I made the attempt to turn them into a type of sling back with a loop for a bow to tie them into place.  Almost but not quite successful of a redesign.  They were steep for sure.  

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Wild Pair was another good shoe store, I had forgotten about them.  Oh the good 'ol, days.....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

In thje Chicago area, we also had Malings and O'Conner Goldberg.  In the late 60's/early 70's, when about all you could find were relatively low blocky heels, O'Conner Goldberg continued to offer at least a small line of stilettos.  I gave them a lot of credit, as well as a fair piece of business, for continuing to offer decent heels during that late 60's/early 70's heel wasteland!

Edited by RonC

11 hours ago, SF said:

Yep, Wild Pair was another good shoe store, I had forgotten about them.  Oh the good 'ol, days.....   sf

I still have a few pair. Best truely sexy heels ever made by a midland qualify brand. Always cutting edge.