How common are men in stilletos?

wallflower781

I recently made my first two public forays in high heels, and everything went fine. It started me wondering, though. I've lived in NYC for a long time, and I don't believe I've seen a man walking along the sidewalks wearing stilletos in at least eight years. And then, it was generally a full cross-dresser. How often do you guys really see guys in heels?

i have never seen another man in stilettos, apart from a few on the heelmeets. Ive seen a couple in block heels, goths in platforms, but no stilettos, but i do go and break the visial silence every now and then on a brave day. I think it can be said that the thing that would put most men off heels, they are never thought of or promoted as items that make you more confident sexy taller etc - how they make you feel, but rather as a female fashion choice or style, and therefore wouldnt want to be seen in shoes that are a female trend item. If people used them and promoted them for different reasons, we might get more male punters. Im sure theres plenty of short males out there that would like to feel confidently elevated, or even just feel how pleasurable it is to walk in them. Its strange if you listen to girls talk of heels, they only are concerned if they are sandals boots or shoes, and what colour to go with a skirt etc. Ive never once heard a girl mention heel heights other than 'low' or 'high'. This is another example of my thinking that they are promoted for different purposes to what we would like to wear them for as men. just my thoughts anyway.

Larry here, About 70 miles from Boston on Cape Cod is a resort village named Provincetown. It's primiarly gay, lesbian and transgedred. Anything goes there and I have seen at least a dozen or so men wearing stilletos with traditonal mens attire, but this is a party town. Once, while visiting Tampa Florida I saw a man who was wearing a T shirt, ankle length jeans and about 4" stilletos. It seemed like everyone noticed his shoes. He got whisteled at, Guys were oogling him, horns were blowing and people were laughing as he clicked down the street. I hear some of the guys here talking about wearing shoes outside or in the office, but I, like you, have wondered are they stilletos?...Larry.

Love those heels!

I think this confirms it - I'm some kind of trailblazer! I think that stilletos would lose some of their allure for me if they became acceptable fashion for men. I agree, though, that they have potiential to appeal to some men for the feeling of power, tallness, etc. I'm surprised that stilletos on a guy got so much attention in Provincetown. In such a queer town, why all the commotion?

Unfortunately they aren't common at all :D I never saw a guy in stilettos around town, except me...... But I must admit that normally I don't look at men's shoes. Too boring in 99%. In the rural area where I live it's normally 3" block heel. No problem at all, people know me that way. But when I'm on my way to a big city for shopping or just strolling around it's 4" stilettos worn with a completely male casual attire. When out in public I only wear leather boots of the latest fashion under jeans, just the style women like to wear today. (Very) pointed toes, black, brown, sometimes tan, but only if the weather is really good. Never got negative comments, at least not so that I could hear them. Congratulations for your street-heeling in NYC, Wallflower! Keep it going.

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

My reply is similar to Daz's I do wear them myself occasionally but not too much as I don't think they particularly suit me, whereas heels of the right kind do suit me. I have seen guys in stilettos a couple of times in London excluding heel meets, excluding myself, exluding some joke/charity collection or carnival outfit. So yes, it is very rare, but no reason to let that stop you.

exactly. excellent point as rare a sight as it may be, and as unmasculine as the image may be, theres nothing quite like a stiletto heel to walk on. The manual control of balance is exciting to use, and then theres the noise..... my opinion is, from the waist down, stilettos under jeans or trousers-whether male or female its quite simply a pointed foot at the end of a leg. If acceptable for a woman why not a man. Would be silly to say the image looks bad on a male as the presentation is the same. it wont be stopping me anyway! In fact, im on the verge of purchasing a 5in pair from hayway when we visit them on the meet. daz

In that case Kromozome, why didn't you join us (Firefox, Xaphod, Calv, Robert and Me) for our 2004 Euro Heel-Meet weekend in Paris in the new year? There, you would have seen Xaphod arrive at the hotel in his 4 1/2" stilettos, the five of us touring the Paris sights and streets in heels ranging from 3" to 5", me buying a pair of knockout 5" stiletto ankle-boots from Ernest's and promptly wearing them for our evening walkabout and visit to the restaurant. Never let it be said that Paris hasn't witnessed guys in heels! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Heelfan , i didn't know this forum at the beginning of this year . And perhaps i don't go to the good place to see guys in heel. i am only in Paris for work. Th evening i go home to join ma family 80km to Paris.

Have Fun with Heels

KroMoZome

I've only been in New York now for 2.6 years and never seen a man dressed as a man wearing stilletos. I have seen men dressed as men wearing block heels (times square, macdougal, 7 train stop, w53d).

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I have lived in the city for almost 3 years...I have seen the weirdest things, but only 1 guy in stilettos.... But I have to clarify that s/he was half dressed as a man and half dressed as a woman. This was on the bar scene, he is at the door at one of the bars in union square.

• 4 years later...

No, it is entirely uncommon, at least here in Minnesota, USA, and I think almost everywhere else, as well. The fellows in heels must be in their closets, because they sure are not on the streets. The other posters in this thread say about the same thing about the near absolute rarity of stiletto wearing men in public. When so inclined, I wear heels, including stilettos, to the grocery, hardware, nail salon, Wal-Marts, shopping malls, theaters, and social events. But I am always the only one. Women frequently stop me in public to compliment my footwear. I will have tgo ask them if they have ever seen any other men in heels.

Very rare, apart from the circumstances mentioned in previous posts. I'm know, I'm someone who wears them. I've only recently started wearing heels out. For me, heels are a special event thing. I'm normally too active & running around during the day. Having said that, just did a mile walk in a new pair tonight. Main problem in London would seem to be bad pavements & (in my area at least) muggers.

G day from Melbourne Australia i've been wearing heels & skirts around the city & suburbs of Melbourne for a few years now & i must say I've never come across another guy in heels .The closeest was when i was checking out the shoe section in Big W a department store here i was wearing heels 4 inch& calf length skirt when a guy approached me & said he also wore heels but not in public & thought i was very brave. If anyone in melbourne who reads this would like to catch up for a drink/coffee in the city send me a pm cheer mal:wavey:

2nite flashing them outside the restaurant, seated having a ciggy or so, full on, black patents with stilettos and fishnets. Much admired by one of the waiters. Dont giv a monkeys any more, me time...... No negs from anyone, just interest, which registers and spreads the word... Same as on the train home, feet up on seat opposite, who has the problem hey ?

Well there are definitely heel wearers in London. Me and thedesigner have worn heels around town (I wore court heels to a TV show recording on the South Bank the other week and got looks) and I'm sure there are others - they probably don't post on here!

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005