A Lack of Heels

RonC

I was just browsing through the Gallery section and noticed that the last post in the "Street Shots" section was November 30, 2018, almost a full year ago.  It sure does seem like heels are a rare sight these days.  While I'm rarely in the business district any more where I'd guess heels might be a bit more prevalent, I'll bet I haven't seen 10 women wearing a pair of heels in the last year.  Some wedge platform sandals in the summer maybe, but a non-wedge shoe or boot with a heel of more than maybe 2.5 inches is basically non-existent, either stiletto or chunky heel. Even in boots, which for several years seemed to be the primary choice of footwear with a heel, most are now two inches and less.  No wonder there aren't any current street shot postings!  I was in a store today known as Shoe Department Encore, a very large store, and they had a single side of one aisle with dress shoes/heels, and at least four double sided aisles of sneakers/sport casual styles etc.  Even DSW, which always had a great selection of heels, is down to one aisle in the store.  While it is not the first time in history that heels haven't been overly popular, even during the times of low and chunky heels, women were wearing dress shoes.  Today, we have low heel riding boots and booties, and casual/athletic styles - not even a halfway decent looking pair of dressy feminine flats for the most part.  I know in the past that heels have been cyclical, but the lack of dress styles being worn, regardless of heel height, is most troubling.  My state of health is going to limit my ability to weather an extended non-heel cycle, and it is kind of depressing for me...lol.

• Like 1

I share 100% your feeling Ron. Even if the lack of heel is not as obvious in Europe. But so few nice shoes to admire in the streets. 

That’s one more reason for me to wear heels myself outside. I can watch me walking in windows store. Not as nice as a woman in heels ,but better than nothing. 

As I am not so young,I must do it as often as possible. Not sure it would be possible for me in a few years. 

6 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

I share 100% your feeling Ron. Even if the lack of heel is not as obvious in Europe. But so few nice shoes to admire in the streets. 

That’s one more reason for me to wear heels myself outside. I can watch me walking in windows store. Not as nice as a woman in heels ,but better than nothing. 

As I am not so young,I must do it as often as possible. Not sure it would be possible for me in a few years. 

1 hour ago, Jkrenzer said:

Same for me. I'm approaching the age where physically i won't be able to wear them much either so until then I'm all in.

Oh, don't even say such things! We're going to be wearing heels until our last days! :)))))

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Oh, don't even say such things! We're going to be wearing heels until our last days! :)))))

I'm in my mid 60's and plan to wear heels the rest of my life as well. I also see some heels on a daily basis, but there are getting more and more sneakers.

Edited by Cali

Likewise I am also sixty eight, but I am still 21 in my mind, well would like to think I am, many people say I am to stuck in my ways and will never change and yes I do wear my heels daily and will continue to do so until I can't any longer. They are not that high a tad lower than 3 inches or 75mill for you metric types.

life is not a rehearsal

On 11/27/2019 at 11:02 PM, RonC said:

I was just browsing through the Gallery section and noticed that the last post in the "Street Shots" section was November 30, 2018, almost a full year ago.  It sure does seem like heels are a rare sight these days.  While I'm rarely in the business district any more where I'd guess heels might be a bit more prevalent, I'll bet I haven't seen 10 women wearing a pair of heels in the last year.  Some wedge platform sandals in the summer maybe, but a non-wedge shoe or boot with a heel of more than maybe 2.5 inches is basically non-existent, either stiletto or chunky heel. Even in boots, which for several years seemed to be the primary choice of footwear with a heel, most are now two inches and less.  No wonder there aren't any current street shot postings!  I was in a store today known as Shoe Department Encore, a very large store, and they had a single side of one aisle with dress shoes/heels, and at least four double sided aisles of sneakers/sport casual styles etc.  Even DSW, which always had a great selection of heels, is down to one aisle in the store.  While it is not the first time in history that heels haven't been overly popular, even during the times of low and chunky heels, women were wearing dress shoes.  Today, we have low heel riding boots and booties, and casual/athletic styles - not even a halfway decent looking pair of dressy feminine flats for the most part.  I know in the past that heels have been cyclical, but the lack of dress styles being worn, regardless of heel height, is most troubling.  My state of health is going to limit my ability to weather an extended non-heel cycle, and it is kind of depressing for me...lol.

I decided to revisit this thread, and I'm not sure why the street shot thread hasn't gotten much attention lately, but I can tell you why I personally quit taking "street shots" myself. Perhaps this might apply to others as well. When cameras became a common feature on mobile phones, I used the opportunity to capture a lot of images and video of women in heels on the street. Because I like heels. A lot. Not too much later, when I started wearing heels myself, I found myself being photographed or video'd on a regular basis. This irritated me, and I realized that what other people were doing to me was really no different than what I had been doing to other people. So I stopped. Besides, unless the person is posing for you, it's rare that you get anything worth a damn, anyway. We won't even get into the creepiness factor that goes along with street shots, but there's that, too.

• Like 3

mlroseplant,

"You hit the nail on the head" seems appropriate here. The "Street Shots" area always left me with an uneasy feeling for the same reason. I never took photos of others without their permission. There IS something creepy about taking photos from behind as well. Maybe it all goes back to Janet Leigh getting surprised in "Psycho"??? 

Whilst heel heights appear lower in 2019 than in 2013 or before it's not though one cannot find them. There are plenty online and in thrift stores and one just has to spend a bit more time in stores such as Macys or Nordstrom to find them in-person. It just isn't as obvious as before. There is a correlation between heel heights and the state of the economy at least in the United States. Heel heights tend to go up during a recession and tend to come down during an expansion. That certainly tracked true during the Great Recession of December 2007 to June of 2009 and during the recession 1974-1982. We are in a very robust economy right now and heel heights have responded. That's my contribution to this anyway :fine: HappyinHeels

You guys are both right.  I never stopped to think about that.  It is something I would never do unless I had the permission of the wearer.  However, I also do think that as long as there is no way to identify the wearer in a photo, a candid shot of a pair of shoes is not worst thing in the world.  But in this day and age, it is likely better to refrain.  HinH, I was not so much indicating a lack of availability of heels - yes, they are out there - but more so to the lack of women actually wearing the shoes.  I've often wondered where all those heels that are sold in the stores go, because I so seldom see any in real life.  Do women buy them and not wear them?  Actually, I probably have my own answer for that as I have seen many a pair in second hand shops that have obviously seen little to no wear.  And you're right about the economy=heel height thing (which of course makes no sense), but I wonder if the cycle will repeat this time as, as I indictaed, the trend toward more casual and athletic styles and away from dress styles is far stronger than ever before.

17 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

There is a correlation between heel heights and the state of the economy at least in the United States. Heel heights tend to go up during a recession and tend to come down during an expansion. That certainly tracked true during the Great Recession of December 2007 to June of 2009 and during the recession 1974-1982. We are in a very robust economy right now and heel heights have responded.

Really? That's interesting. how would you explain this? I might have even thought the opposite: when things are good, people can spend money on looking and dressing better. 

17 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

There is a correlation between heel heights and the state of the economy at least in the United States. Heel heights tend to go up during a recession and tend to come down during an expansion. That certainly tracked true during the Great Recession of December 2007 to June of 2009 and during the recession 1974-1982. We are in a very robust economy right now and heel heights have responded.

I've heard this, or read it before too somewhere. A number of years ago I confess but the principle was just that, about the economy and heel height fluctuations.

FWIW - we are visiting in Scottsdale, AZ and just attended a wedding. I’d estimate that about 80-90% of the women were wearing heels. The older “grandmotherly” types, not so much, but most all of the younger ladies, that I noticed, anyway.

And in being out and about since the celebration, I’d guess that probably 50% or more of the women that I have noticed were heeled. Maybe not skyscrapers, but heels.

All is not lost...

• Like 1

Right, I think there is still a strong association with heels and dressing up, which is why people continue buying them and wearing them at weddings and Christmas dinner parties.  The problem is that people have stopped dressing up for regular occasions like work and church so they stay hidden in the closet.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Never heard of the opposite correlation of  heels height and economy health. Funny 

About travelling: right ! people don’t dress up any more. Look at these ugly hiking shoes many wear. That gives me one more reason to wear heels for traveling even combined with very normal clothes. 

• Like 2

I rarely see either - and the selections at the local thrift stores show it. The best time to buy heels and mini's is right after Proms around here. Pumps are best found after June weddings.

Considering my location, that's the best it gets.

11 hours ago, Shyheels said:

People certainly don't dress up to travel the way they used to

I would totally agree with you.  But I think we should at least get out of pajamas!   I would not think twice about traveling in a skirt and heels.  The only problem is I would freeze to death.    I keep it to my Lululemon outfits from head to toe and a pair of Sorel wedges or heeled boots.  

On 12/2/2019 at 10:34 AM, ohnoberty said:

I've heard this, or read it before too somewhere. A number of years ago I confess but the principle was just that, about the economy and heel height fluctuations.

I reckon that when jobsecurity and security in general is more precarious people dress more conservatively or more provocatively in the case of high heels. As to not rock the boat at work, or they know it will please their bosses. And another part is probably ostentatious behavior in general to show that they still have work and spendable income and as a way to alleviate daily stress. Whereas when times and security are good people feel more free to rock the boat and what good is peacocking when everybody is doing well?

20 hours ago, Logjam said:

FWIW - we are visiting in Scottsdale, AZ and just attended a wedding. I’d estimate that about 80-90% of the women were wearing heels. The older “grandmotherly” types, not so much, but most all of the younger ladies, that I noticed, anyway.

And in being out and about since the celebration, I’d guess that probably 50% or more of the women that I have noticed were heeled. Maybe not skyscrapers, but heels.

All is not lost...

I think you know the answer to the riddle of where all the bought heels go too.

20 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Right, I think there is still a strong association with heels and dressing up, which is why people continue buying them and wearing them at weddings and Christmas dinner parties.  The problem is that people have stopped dressing up for regular occasions like work and church so they stay hidden in the closet.  

It's just dressing up for special occasions. And it's also just that as women wear heels less and less they feel less and less secure in wearing them, so the special occasions that they feel are necessary for them dwindle as well. These heels get bought, then disappear into their closets as they feel they can't walk in them and then end up in thrift shops. It's no mystery, and it is a sign that maybe not all, but a lot has been lost.

12 hours ago, Shyheels said:

What I hate are the people you see sauntering around in the business class lounge and looking like they just came off the beach....

And then we wonder why it seems people have become so rude and inconsiderate of each other in public over the years.  It may sound silly to many people now, but I believe that if people were more mindful of how they presented themselves in their attire in public, it would have a positive effect on the way people interacted with each other.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CAT said:

I would totally agree with you.  But I think we should at least get out of pajamas!   I would not think twice about traveling in a skirt and heels.  The only problem is I would freeze to death.    I keep it to my Lululemon outfits from head to toe and a pair of Sorel wedges or heeled boots.  

Unfortunately, it is fairly commonplace to see full grown "adults" board the plane in pajamas....  Air travel just isn't what it used to be, neither is society....

2 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

And then we wonder why it seems people have become so rude and inconsiderate of each other in public over the years.  It may sound silly to many people now, but I believe that if people were more mindful of how they presented themselves in their attire in public, it would have a positive effect on the way people interacted with each other.  

Well, I'm not ashamed to admit that there are many times I would prefer not to admit I'm from the US when on trips abroad...I'm ashamed at what we have become, and it is little wonder that foreigners don't think much of us....Our society definintely needs an "overhaul"....

• Like 1

I have heard the same story about the state of the economy affecting heels and skirt lengths. From what I recall heels go higher in bad times and skirts do the opposite, i.e. go longer in bad times. I do not think this is a 'new idea' as I first heard it way back in the 1960's (that gives my age away).

It is interesting to note, however, that the entertainment industry has certainly not abandoned heels.  Watch any US talk show and the female guests almost always wear some very nice and still largely stiletto styled heels.  Also most news women tend to wear heels, as noted by the morning news shows where their shoes are often on display.  Even the ladies on the Golf Channel here in the US almost always wear stiletto heels.  Yet most women in the general populace wear few heels, if any, and if they do wear heels, they tend to be either wedges or chunky heels.  Historically, the public tended to follow the lead of the entertainment industry, but that does not seem to be the case any longer.  Yes, occasions such as weddings and corporate holiday parties do bring out the ladies in heels, outings such as church or a dinner out are now typically a casual affair.  And for most jobs, it appears that casual clothing and footwear is also the most typical choice.  I'm giving away my age here, but I do miss the "old days", lol.

1 hour ago, RonC said:

corporate holiday parties do bring out the ladies in heels,

Not only ladies, I'm wearing my sparkle turtleneck and skinny jeans/leggings with my JS Rollin knee high stilettos to my organization's holiday party.

New holiday socks with my JS Rachie and Levi 311's tomorrow with my Santa Hat. And tiger stripes of white, red glitter, and green glitter on a black background manicure.

Had to pick up an online order at the big mall yesterday and noticed a number of women in nice looking heels shopping.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 3

I hate to add to the generally melancholy mood, but I just went to a community orchestra concert last night, and out of the entire group, which was probably 60 players, about half of which were women, there were only two wearing heels. One of them was a 30-something Russian immigrant violinist, so of course she always wears heels--never seen her without. The other was a college student percussionist (meaning she is probably around 20 years old), and I saw her after the concert at the reception, where I saw she had changed out of her heels. There were also a couple of women wearing block heels of 2 inches or so, but I don't really count that. The rest were wearing flats. I noticed only one audience member (besides me) who was wearing heels. That just wouldn't have been the case back in the day.

• Like 1