My outings...

chesterx

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

I would never run ethanol in any of my small engines by choice.

Same with me. I used to buy 5 gallons of racing fuel every year from a place that was on the way to my mothers house for my small engines. I dont go that way much anymore so I had to switch to trufuel, as its the only thing I can find that is close by. I refuse to run pump gas in anything other that my mower. It burns a full tank with each use, so it always has fresh gas in it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chesterx said:

Same with me. I used to buy 5 gallons of racing fuel every year from a place that was on the way to my mothers house for my small engines. I dont go that way much anymore so I had to switch to trufuel, as its the only thing I can find that is close by. I refuse to run pump gas in anything other that my mower. It burns a full tank with each use, so it always has fresh gas in it.

Bringing 'er right back on point, do you mow the lawn in heels? I used to do that, I had a special pair of Doc Marten wedges specifically for stuff like that. They weren't very high, maybe 3 1/2" with some sort of small platform. Then one day I said to myself, "Self, you know you are not obligated to wear heels every possible moment you can." So I stopped mowing the lawn in heels. Those Doc Martens weren't really high enough to be all that thrilling, anyway. I have also stopped working on cars in heels, or doing other stuff like that.

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Bringing 'er right back on point, do you mow the lawn in heels? I used to do that, I had a special pair of Doc Marten wedges specifically for stuff like that. They weren't very high, maybe 3 1/2" with some sort of small platform. Then one day I said to myself, "Self, you know you are not obligated to wear heels every possible moment you can." So I stopped mowing the lawn in heels. Those Doc Martens weren't really high enough to be all that thrilling, anyway. I have also stopped working on cars in heels, or doing other stuff like that.

only on the 1st cut of the year, a pair of stilettos are quite effective at aerating a lawn...8)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2021 at 9:53 PM, chesterx said:

I refuse to run pump gas in anything other that my mower. It burns a full tank with each use, so it always has fresh gas in it.

Wow!  Is your lawn that big, or does your mower get really poor mileage?  I never had to fill my mower more than maybe every third of fourth mowing.

7 hours ago, RonC said:

Wow!  Is your lawn that big, or does your mower get really poor mileage?  I never had to fill my mower more than maybe every third of fourth mowing.

I suppose I could have mentioned I don't fill it completely to the top. After 15 years I have a good feel how much it takes to do both the front & back yards so it doesn't sit with much left in it between cuts...

• Like 1

Back to the generator topic, I bought a 7,000 watt Endress generator right after the Y2K fiasco. I figured someone would have them on sale and I found this one for $600 when they were typically going for close to two times that. I have a four prong outlet and a cord so I can back feed the breaker panel after shutting off the main breaker and power the whole house. I have had it for twenty years and used it a couple times. The worst was a summer storm that knocked down powerlines all over and we were without power for two days. I would run it in the morning for a couple hours, go to work and then power it back up in the evening for 3-4 hours. I was worried about losing power during  winter storms, but it hasn't happened.

I got in a wattage meter today & started testing the appliances I expect I would use during an outage. My space heater is the biggest power hog, at 1385 watts. My 3 little heat traces pull way less than that combined, so 2200 watts should be enough to keep me going if this happens again. During the summer I would use a portable AC unit. I will test it when I pull it out of the closet in a few weeks, but they dont pull near as much as a heater does, so I should be set for summer uses as well. I might even be able to run my little Lincoln mig welder with it, make it a portable welder.

Got some new platforms last week on Amazon, one of those fly by night Chinesium companies with a weird name that they don't even bother to stamp on the shoe anywhere. These ones were unique enough that I was moved to buy them. They were a little tighter than I care to see in a shoe, but I figured the mesh uppers would stretch a bit as I wore them, & they did, much to my relief. Gotta expect that from Chinese shoes, as they did invent foot binding after all. Wore  them after my visit to the nail salon to get my groceries at HEB. Got a few comps on them, as I expected, as they are somewhat flamboyant. Today I made 2 stops, as I needed a shower curtain, I had to visit Walmart in my Calvin Klein black pumps. I have found Walmart to be a sterile experience when it comes to heel wearing, & today was no different. Just walk right in, get your victuals, & walk out. Hardly any interactions at all. HEB's couldn't be more different. I stop there because they were selling boiled shrimp outside the entrance, so I stopped to buy a pound for dinner. I wasn't in line for 2 minutes when an old lady wheeling potatoes to the boiling pot grabbed my arm as she walked by & said she loved my heels. We then spent the entirety of my purchase talking about heels & how she couldn't wear them anymore because of some foot surgery. She also went on about how she no longer wore leather skirts, but she didn't explain why. I cant imagine what type of surgery would prevent you from wearing leather, but I didn't inquire about it, as my shrimp was ready & i wanted to get home. I really enjoy my trips to HEB, they have been quite pleasant on the whole...Here is a pic of the platforms. I wore them with some black Gloria Vanderbilt straight leg jeans I bought on sale. I am not a fan of straight, or bootcut for that matter, but I thought they looked good with these heels...

P1010360.thumb.JPG.3113da525964ec78b987e4eb078c5e35.JPG

• Like 6

On 3/3/2021 at 1:00 AM, chesterx said:

I got in a wattage meter today & started testing the appliances I expect I would use during an outage. My space heater is the biggest power hog, at 1385 watts. My 3 little heat traces pull way less than that combined, so 2200 watts should be enough to keep me going if this happens again. During the summer I would use a portable AC unit. I will test it when I pull it out of the closet in a few weeks, but they dont pull near as much as a heater does, so I should be set for summer uses as well. I might even be able to run my little Lincoln mig welder with it, make it a portable welder.

I used an amp meter and checked the lines coming into the house with a higher then average load. I ended up buying a 15000 watt generator the day hurricane Katrina went over Florida.

• Like 1

(formerly known as "JimC")

8 hours ago, Rockpup said:

I used an amp meter and checked the lines coming into the house with a higher then average load. I ended up buying a 15000 watt generator the day hurricane Katrina went over Florida.

Yeah, my sister in Naples just got at 15000W Generac also...Hoping they will get it wired into the breaker panel as well...

9 hours ago, RonC said:

@chesterxwhile not a huge fan of platforms,

I generally agree, as I don't really have much by way of platforms in my collection, but these looked so classy on the models feet I could not resist, & took a chance on them. I am pleased with the look & will add them to my rotation...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally had a chance to get some solid heeling in. Started with a trip to my nail tech. Got a set of black nails with a magnetic overlay & man are they gorgeous. I never cared much for black but last time i was in a lady was getting this style done, & I was really impressed by them. Afterwards I stopped by the hardware store as I needed some potting soil. I wore flats for these 2 stops as I cant fit under the tech's desk in heels & the last time I tried lifting heavy bags in heels it didn't end so well for my ankle. But I switched over to my Jessica Simpson black stilettos for the rest of the day. Next stop was at Sportclips for a trim. My stylist happened to have some impressive black stiletto nails herself, so we had a nice talk about nails while she trimmed my hair. The stylist next to us remembered my last visit & asked about the trip a made to Chicago after she cut my hair. That was a fun stop & everyone was so cool about my heels & stuff. My next stop was the car wash where I again had a nice conversation with an older lady about nails. She said she didn't get to the salon anymore & was really impressed by the magnet effect. The cashier also comped my nails. My last stop was the grocery store. There are several folks that work there that know me by name now. I am quite certain that I was the subject of some training session or something. They have a tent set up at the entrance where they sell boiled shrimp that I frequent & the lady that runs it knew I wanted a pound of shrimp & 2 sausage links. She asked me where I had been today, then pined for the days she could wear heels, before an injury put an end to that. I think she lives vicariously through me these days. She is super sweet to me. As I was untangling a shopping cart from the others I had one of "those" moments when I managed to walk out of one of my heels. It has been ages since I have done that but I still find it quite embarrassing. Next I stopped at the smoothie kiosk & the young lady was another that remembers me & knew I wanted a peanut butter ripple. She usually sports a nice set of nails but was "naked" this time, but complimented me on mine. After making my way to the back of the store where they keep the tea, this guy (somewhat younger than me) riding a cart swings over close to me & said "I'm jealous". I'm thinking he was wanting to wear heels too, but then he said "They take mine next week". It took a second to realize he meant his feet! I was completely unprepared for that! What the hell do you say to someone when they say that? Best I could do was a "Sorry to hear that, have a nice day" Yeah, not my best reply, but geez. I was still a bit flustered by that encounter a few seconds latter when a young lady told me she like my heels & a fairly choked on my smoothie in reply. The rest of the visit went normal, with the usual odd compliment on my heels. When I got to the checkout, the cashier (that I have never used before today) immediately noticed my nails as I was unpacking my cart, then said "He always wears nice shoes" then laid across the conveyor belt to take a look. She was talking to the bagger that was wearing a trainee tag. Both of them were very interested in how my nails were done. This is the moment I began to wonder if I was the topic of a training session or just some break room gossip. Guess I will never know, but today sure was a good day. It felt normal to be out again...

Edited by chesterx
  • Like 4

I have had several "Cat's Eye" metallic polishes/gels over the years, but mostly with a brown or dark green base.

Black nail polish (gel) is a great base for designs, but you need a white layer under the design to make it really pop. I also like black with a glitter ombre.

I haven't had a manicure since the pandemic started, especially since my nail artist moved out of town. Miss it.

There are several stores that the workers know me by name.  There are very few people who wear heels to grocery shop.

Rest assured you are part of the training sessions.  

Edited by Cali

pebblest : If you look at the Forums list, You will easily see ( Real Life Meetings ) page . Years ago that list was used quite often . Some of us would meet at am agreed location and wear our highest and finest heels . Have a dinner some where and talk about our favorite subjects . All were good meetings . At least they were for me .I would love to see that interest reestablished . Just saying .59206ff29e88b_DSCF5200(1).thumb.JPG.a44fc993cc7e1744b5524e67416921d3.JPGDSCF5308.thumb.JPG.273433d0251f1edfe4c90bc9d453221e.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

chesterx :  In what part of the country, USA do you live ? It amazes me as to why someone would take the time to get a piece of paper and write a note . ( Love the note )   Why would they not just come up to you and inquire about your shoes . So, What kind of shoes were you wearing ? Have photo will travel . mike               593ebbc716187_DSCF5229(1).thumb.JPG.6918f1b3e8501165c25c9625604ba4e6.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, spikesmike said:

chesterx :  In what part of the country, USA do you live ? It amazes me as to why someone would take the time to get a piece of paper and write a note . ( Love the note )   Why would they not just come up to you and inquire about your shoes . So, What kind of shoes were you wearing ?

I live 30 miles north of Houston. It was a rainy day, so I was wearing a pair of tan mid-heel pumps, & jeans. I think it was from the car I parked next to. I pulled into the spot & realized someone was getting out of the door, so I backed up & let her out before pulling back in. They were an older lady, a younger lady, & a small child. They had stopped to adjust the kids shoes as I walked past them. I guess being low to ground already made my heels more noticeable. They didn't say anything, & I didn't give them a second look. Other than the workers who know me & chat with me, no one else commented on my heels. I have gotten hundreds of compliments, but this is the 1st piece of written encouragement I have received. I think its pretty cool, gonna keep it handy on my desk to look at from time to time...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

I must be getting old, what does "You do you boo!" mean?

8 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

It’s an encouragement towards self expression

Two nations divided by a common language ... 🙄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

I must be getting old, what does "You do you boo!" mean?

As an aside, I notice that the actual note is written in a sort of half cursive/half printed script. I wonder what age that makes the writer?