Wearing high heels as a man needs courage!

Hansi1973

4 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

It's amazing how much tone matters.  Nowadays, in my experience, you may encounter people who will say "Look at his shoes!" but with admiration.  

Agreed! In my case, that admiration has come mainly from women who appreciate the shoes I wear. However, once in a blue moon, I get compliments from men too.

• Thanks 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

15 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

One ((bad) opportunity for reopening this subject 

Today I had to fly from Paris( Orly,an airport I don’t like) fo Madrid. 

Before boarding I bought a coffee and sat close to the counter I got it. 

I heard a male voice at the coffee counter saying  to his female coworker: “ the world is turning wrong side,look at the shoes of this guy!” She didn’t answer,or I didn’t heard. Then 5  minutes later he called a guy from the security,probably a friend of him( and same physical aspect) and said  very loudly:” look at the shoes of that guy” Again I wasn’t able to hear the answer. 

I didn’t move,did show any trouble,kept on reading my book after I had finished the coffee 

Not a big deal. But for sure not encouraging because that kind of guys is now quite common in some places of Paris. Where I never go. 

But that it is the first time is happens to me in an airport 

So,yes sometimes wearing heels need courage!

the shoes were the ones  you can see on the picture. Brown  14 block heels 

C1BF1B87-4615-4D4E-94C6-4EB91FA59E27.jpeg

It’s a shame when you get negative comments from people but please don’t let it bother you, i was around the fort shopping centre in Birmingham last night in my 31/2” heels cowgirl boots, i tried on various heeled boots and shoes in front of male and female staff and plenty of other people, no negative comments at all, only compliments and admiration, i do remember a some years ago in Coventry a 20 something girl turned to her friends and whispered something whilst looking and laughing at my 4” stiletto boots, i just lifted up my trousers leg, raised my leg up and said would you like a closer look? Have you never seen a a pair of boots before? They just gave me a strange look and i carried on with my shopping, it really doesn’t bother me and you shouldn’t let it bother you too. 
Nice boots by the way 

10 hours ago, chesterx said:

The very 1st time I wore heels in public Some guy in a store said quite loudly to his friends "Look at his shoes!" in a mocking mannerism. I was already nervous as hell & his words cut like a knife. I remember going from the exhilaration of wearing heels to burning shame & wanting to hide & find the exit.  It took years for me to try again. I had to come to grips with the fact that there will always be some jerk out there, & I just might run into them some day. I finally chose to not let those few random jerks that I will never see again ruin something that I really wanted to do. Time has proven me right, as just about every interaction I have had has been neutral at worst to very complimentary. I figure I'm going to run across jerks someday whether I'm wearing heels or not, so I choose heels...

Not THE very first time, but fairly early in my heeling career, I was accosted by a group of teenaged boys in the parking lot of a grocery store. I hate to say it, but it did kind of affect me for a while. In fact, the next time I went to get my hair cut my female barber asked me why I wasn't wearing heels on that particular day. I told her what happened, and she basically said I should ignore that kind of behavior and do whatever I want. It was encouraging to me, especially at that time.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

I heard a male voice at the coffee counter saying  to his female coworker: “ the world is turning wrong side,look at the shoes of this guy!” She didn’t answer,or I didn’t heard. Then 5  minutes later he called a guy from the security,probably a friend of him( and same physical aspect) and said  very loudly:” look at the shoes of that guy” Again I wasn’t able to hear the answer. 

I didn’t move,did show any trouble,kept on reading my book after I had finished the coffee 

Not a big deal. But for sure not encouraging because that kind of guys is now quite common in some places of Paris. Where I never go. 

So sorry to hear... as you say - you are above them, and thankfully - this is a small minority.

really great boots, as others have said!

3 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

....Just keep on staying on my toes. 

Touche  - being wearing boots like that ;-) 

• Thanks 1

I have no ideas how those things are handled in Europe, but maybe a conversation or direct letter to the management of the company is in order, especially since that emolyee was not???  

Do it....   sf

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

On 1/28/2020 at 7:03 PM, Pierre1961 said:

Too bad to heard that some people are so close minded, I’m also French and not proud to know that this type of reaction already exists nowadays in our country...

BTW your boots looks great 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the support @Peter1

i don’t know where you live in France. I generally feel relaxed any place I go but I would never wear heels around Barbes or Clichy for exemple. To be honest I don’t have any strong reason for going there. 

On the other hand places as Neuilly,Passy etc are not physically  dangerous but for sure we would get very bad glances from the conservative people who live there. 

On 1/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, Pierre1961 said:

Surprisingly this doesn't happen more often. Maybe because most people rather talk about us in wearing heels or other outfits behind our backs so we can't overhear.

Had booties like thm before woman would hear me coming and look up while shopping startled what they seen.

Guys like you described remind me coworker bad mouthing individuals like that saying same things. My boss being his best friend tries to tame him down saying stop talking bigoted like that, but he doesn't care because he isn't in the company of those who wear such things. Little does he know my boss has idea about me but can't say for sure since i never wear heels at work and tempers his comments around me. So far don't hear my co-worker talking openly about males in feminine clothes and shoes anymore joking about it as before around me now.  Doubt his attitude changed but stays distant around me unless it's necessary to work together. What i know some people are bothered about others believing there is normal way to dress and behave and everyone else is crazy very close minded. Yet same time telling me i don't care yet making it vocal of his opinions to anyone listening.  Guys like my co-worker believe if they shame others or make a comment publicly they don't respect there choices it's learning moment. Rather encouraging others saying how great it looks.

Suppose woman i see never give compliments it's because of fear do so. Only that  guy like me may take it as flirtation then positive  encouragement. My reactions as some woman also do  wearing something great, need compliments only because of validation what we are wearing is alright. Always in your mind asking myself do i look bad in these heels and outfit, is it too much, guess i look terrible none says anything ignoring me. Silence or minding their business often is another sign people may object to your outfit and heels. Then again not everyone needs to say positive reinforcement what everyone is wearing unless there fashion diva.

Do like some of the replies to Pierrie1961 experience never had it happen to me would i think of mocking others about our heels. Especially love the usual female teens asking others to look what a male is wearing heels giggling about it. Confront them giving yourself a chuckle that yeah want to get a closer look showing them off. Love it!  Reactions catching them off guard thinking there laughing upon your heels yet don't care confronting them for your own amusement.  

Just had recent experience with younger couple white gal and her black boyfriend at the gym pool. While i was swimming laps in next lane beside  them finishing doing leg exercises in shallow end holding onto the edge. The female was approaching next lane commenting or giggling that i was wearing a thong swimsuit to her boyfriend. I'm sure she noticed or he did while i walked along the pool deck showering and making my way into the water. So there was no surprises yet she commented unclearly something to the fact i was showing off and wanted to do something. Her boyfriend telling her no and began to get out of the pool. Maybe she wanted to wait in the pool to see me leave looking upon my backside not sure.  

Goes to show you some people believe what your wearing isn't for purpose of you loving to wear it but being exhibitionist for reaction for others. This often leads to people or woman specifically giving me less attention ignoring what i wear. Often believe it's out of jealousy or envy but it can also be they don't want to give me more attention then necessary making me feel less desirable in their eyes failing miserably. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:27 PM, p1ng74 said:

I have been through many airports now, even kind of in the sticks (Columbus, Ohio) and no one has said anything negative:

Hey, I live in the Columbus area! It's a cow town, maybe, but not the sticks! LOL It's actually the second largest metro area at over 2 million people, behind Cincinnati, and the city of Columbus is the largest city in Ohio at over 700,000. Plus, the airport is one of the easiest to get in and out of, and the people are very friendly. The airport is not a hub, though, so getting anywhere from here may involve two flights. And to keep on topic, I've worn heels there many times without any problems at all.

:-)

Steve

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

Hey, I live in the Columbus area! It's a cow town, maybe, but not the sticks! LOL It's actually the second largest metro area at over 2 million people, behind Cincinnati, and the city of Columbus is the largest city in Ohio at over 700,000. Plus, the airport is one of the easiest to get in and out of, and the people are very friendly. The airport is not a hub, though, so getting anywhere from here may involve two flights. And to keep on topic, I've worn heels there many times without any problems at all.

Steve

Yeah I enjoyed Columbus, and while it is not Paris or New England it’s not really the sticks lol.  I flew into DTW and drove down due to the schedule I had going on, but I was able to fly out of CMH and I liked it!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

Steve

Columbus represent! Ohio State Taylor Tower for dummies, late night pizza crawls to Cat Fish Biffs, hot Pi Phi dates to German Town.

ahhh, the memories 

• Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2020 at 7:03 PM, Pierre1961 said:

Sad that it happened to you at Orly. The comments were in what language?

I have to say that french society can get quite conservative easily and there's a macho culture around here that I just plain don't understand. Fragile masculinity and while women can be more open, some are conservative amongst other women (you shouldn't wear this or make something like that, you're not a teen anymore, etc) and can think that heels are their privilege, their right to be a woman, nothing screams femininity more than heels.

I got out like this on Halloween:

hw.thumb.jpg.301a02de3d16f36ebd396ae92617f707.jpg

It was at a small mountain village where skiers and bikers are rule trying to look as manly as possible to their female counterparts.

I got looks. I got comments. Mostly bad comments (and a few quite good). My wife heard more than myself (I was too happy to mind).

Adults in France just thinks getting dressed for Halloween is for kids only (some women are allowed because, you know, women raise kids).

Yes, it needs courage to street-heel as a man in some countries/cities.

Paris is more open in some neighbourhoods but it's not the norm.

Well, keep doing whatever you want, I'm trying to.

Cheers

• Like 3

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

Paris is ok except in some places. As everywhere 

As a native I know where to go in heels and where not to go. Depends also on what time 

The guy in Orly was a bartender. Probably North Africa origin but as French as myself as far as I could  judge by the way he talked 

Some Muslim guys are really narrow minded here. But most of them are ok. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 11:33 AM, Pierre1961 said:

Paris is ok except in some places. As everywhere 

As a native I know where to go in heels and where not to go. Depends also on what time 

The guy in Orly was a bartender. Probably North Africa origin but as French as myself as far as I could  judge by the way he talked 

Some Muslim guys are really narrow minded here. But most of them are ok. 

Being from the US, I just "assssumed" that french society is far more progressive than here in the states.  Oh well, don't let the dumb/closeted guys get you down, you look great in your boots.  Very powerful and amazingly masculine,  a look I would love to achieve...Don

• Like 1

I was at the podiatrist today, ingrown toenail. Got loads of pointers from them.

However, they just don’t do that, he suggested that in the next few years I’ll have to do two things, first one is change my job to something a bit more sedentary, something where I can sit for half the day and not be on my feet for 8-9 hours a day like retail. The other they said was to wear a shoe with a heel because of the damage my body has taken over the years of working in retail. He said to go no higher than 4 inches as that’s where the damage can co the other way. He said those heights are not for now, oh so little does he know.

I suppose that courage will have to be built over the next few years. And that I have that glorious world of more stunning shoes and boots to look forward buy. Might even eventually get a couple nice of pair of stiletto pumps.

• Like 5

I had two ingrown toenails "fixed" with surgery.  My podiatrist know I wear heels and she wants me at leash 2.5 inch (or higher) because of the shape of my arch.

"Just following doctor's orders."

Edited by Cali

5 hours ago, VirginHeels said:

I was at the podiatrist today, ingrown toenail. Got loads of pointers from them.

However, they just don’t do that, he suggested that in the next few years I’ll have to do two things, first one is change my job to something a bit more sedentary, something where I can sit for half the day and not be on my feet for 8-9 hours a day like retail. The other they said was to wear a shoe with a heel because of the damage my body has taken over the years of working in retail. He said to go no higher than 4 inches as that’s where the damage can co the other way. He said those heights are not for now, oh so little does he know.

I suppose that courage will have to be built over the next few years. And that I have that glorious world of more stunning shoes and boots to look forward buy. Might even eventually get a couple nice of pair of stiletto pumps.

I’ve found that heels ease back problems

6 hours ago, Cali said:

I had two ingrown toenails "fixed" with surgery.  My podiatrist know I wear heels and she wants me at leash 2.5 inch (or higher) because of the shape of my arch.

"Just following doctor's orders."

This podiatrist suggested 3-4 inches. No higher than 4 but no less than 3. Not needed now, but within the next 3-4 years I’ll be in heels for most of my days off work. I’ve to keep my weight consistent and keep doing my 5K minimum walks/runs at the same time.

Its going to be a lifestyle thing. At least I will be able to wear many cute boot styles now. Sometimes maybe a pump in the summer.

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

I’ve found that heels ease back problems

Lower back issues especially. That’s where most of my wear and tear is.

• Like 1

I had surgery for a very severe ruptured disc some years ago. I was very fortunate, the surgery was successful and .I’ve been largely trouble free ever since with the exception of occasional back spasms. I discovered - quite by chance - that wearing 3-4 inch heels ease the pain and stiffness of back spasms quite considerably. 

• Like 1

The heels force you to stand and walk with a more upright posture, which is good for your spine. The more upright position also sends out a signal to others, confidence and power. Heels worn by noble people in older times or by women in younger times suited this purpose, and now the male population is slowly getting a hang on this.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HelenInHeels said:

The heels force you to stand and walk with a more upright posture, which is good for your spine. The more upright position also sends out a signal to others, confidence and power. Heels worn by noble people in older times or by women in younger times suited this purpose, and now the male population is slowly getting a hang on this.

Definitely notice the shift in posture with heels. As you say, heels were worn by noblemen in times past as a means of enhancing their stature and confidence - as women do today. I doubt stilettos will ever come into vogue for men, but I could certainly see 3-4 inch block or cuban heels making a comeback 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Definitely notice the shift in posture with heels. As you say, heels were worn by noblemen in times past as a means of enhancing their stature and confidence - as women do today. I doubt stilettos will ever come into vogue for men, but I could certainly see 3-4 inch block or cuban heels making a comeback 

That’s what they said yesterday. Almost 20 years in retail on hard concrete floors, standing for most of the around 8 hours a day will do it. Plus another 10+ years of carrying a heavy school and college bag on my bag will do more damage. My old school didn’t have lockers so for about 3 hours a day we all had 22kg bags on our backs. On a careers day the armed forces stand weighed some of our bags and they were more than the maximum allowed in the UK military.

Men who also do a lot of sitting in a office setting will see more damage. They said that they will do damage unless they have access to a sit/stand desk.

Theres a time bomb coming from the obesity pandemic, that’s fact. There is another coming in back health.

My back troubles came from far too much sitting - mainly on long haul flights. At the time I was travelling one hell of a lot, and it’s took its toll. Now when I write or edit I try to work standing up at least part of the time, and have found that heels really help with keeping by back in better alignment, especially chunky heels in the 3-4 inch range

Heelers : This is a subject I agree with entirely. I have been able to avoid the ingrown toenail problem - My foot doctor removed all of my toenails years ago. As for posture, If I walk on a concrete surface for any length of time in (men) flat heel shoes,DSCF5363.thumb.JPG.04b783383f4e48089e755afa83c145a5.JPG I suffer great pain. SO, joy - high heels it is .   

23 minutes ago, spikesmike said:

Heelers : This is a subject I agree with entirely. I have been able to avoid the ingrown toenail problem - My foot doctor removed all of my toenails years ago. 

That's rather extreme to remove all your toe nails. You will forever miss out on pedicures.  I learn so much listening to the other clients while sitting there.

2 hours ago, spikesmike said:

Heelers : This is a subject I agree with entirely. I have been able to avoid the ingrown toenail problem - My foot doctor removed all of my toenails years ago. As for posture, If I walk on a concrete surface for any length of time in (men) flat heel shoes, I suffer great pain. SO, joy - high heels it is .   

I once lost a toenail, infection at the base, it came lose there and over time fell off. I thought I was rid of it forever yet it grew back within months. Am I unique in that or did you do something extra to stop that from happening?

I've been to the podiatrist twice. Both visits were an exercise in frustration. Wanting to remove toenails. Wanting to do surgery. Is that the only thing you have to offer? No thanks. My feet are beat up enough as it is without you making them truly ugly. It is my lot in life to have toenails which are prone to becoming ingrown. It is also my lot in life to prefer wearing sandals whenever possible.

• Like 1

I only had a small part of each big toes nail removed. Yes its painful for a few days, but so are ingrown toe nails when they get stepped on or when you kick something (by accident or soccer).  Any toe surgery is ALWAYS very painful because you are always on your feet.

Besides, I get regular pedicures, so I need my toe nails.  Cure nail fungus with light, not smelly chemicals.

Edited by Cali

19 hours ago, Cali said:

I only had a small part of each big toes nail removed. Yes its painful for a few days, but so are ingrown toe nails when they get stepped on or when you kick something (by accident or soccer).  Any toe surgery is ALWAYS very painful because you are always on your feet.

Besides, I get regular pedicures, so I need my toe nails.  Cure nail fungus with light, not smelly chemicals.

That is so funny. I have a coworker who tends to get a little rambunctious from time to time, and more than once, he has trod on my feet. Or foot, I should say. He always steps on my right foot, which is the one that is prone to ingrown toenails. "Dammit BK! If you're going to step on my foot, could you at least step on the other one, just once?"

I have had very good luck with Vick's VapoRub for getting rid of nail fungus.