Jump to content

kneehighs

exercise/yoga for heel wearing

Recommended Posts

Curious if anyone else practices any types of casual exercise for heel wearing?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to do a lot of yoga style stretching when I used to run marathons and do fencing. Although I’ve not done any in a long time, or rather only sporadically, it has given me very strong and supple feet and ankles. I am planning on resuming it. It is just a good thing all around.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea. 

Having strong and supple ankle 

for both improving and keeping our abilities in case of no heeling for a while 

what about proprioception wearing heels outside?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had ankle issues almost my entire life.  I now understand that my feet's bone structure leans itself to many having problems. I first sprained my ankle (very bad sprain) when is was 8 or 9. I've had 2 other major sprains where you are on crutches for over two months. I would twist my ankle hundreds of times a year. In 2000 the pain reach I point that visited the doctor. Since then I have had two ankle reconstructions on one foot and a ankle reconstruction on the other.  After each reconstruction I went thru months of rehab.  One of the exercises I did often was balance on the toes of one foot while standing on an incline. This really strengthen my ankle, improved my balance (skiing).  I have done this exercise ever since. I  credit it with my ability to put on 4 inch heels for the first time and walk off in less than a minute.

I now have two badly torn tendons that I am trying to avoid surgery on.   The "good news" is that heels help with the pain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm! Interesting. I might give this a try!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have long done exercise meant to strengthen my feet and ankles. I do most of my exercises with a golf ball. I started doing these exercises for reasons other than wearing heels, but I think they definitely apply to wearing heels.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I have long done exercise meant to strengthen my feet and ankles. I do most of my exercises with a golf ball. I started doing these exercises for reasons other than wearing heels, but I think they definitely apply to wearing heels.

A golf ball? How does that work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JeffB said:

A golf ball? How does that work?

HA! We're both up early on a Saturday, but that's ground which has been covered before. There are two main things I do with a golf ball--one is massage and engagement of the sole of the foot. I start by placing the golf ball on the floor (a non-slick floor works more easily) and pressing on it with the ball of the foot, then rolling it slowly back to my heel. Gently at first, because it may feel strange or uncomfortable, but fairly firmly once you've gotten used to it after a time. I am really trying to knead the plantar fascia, that often problematic ligament that runs pretty much the entire sole of your foot.

The second and perhaps most important thing I do with the golf ball is I pick it up with my toes and move it around. Depending on one's natural physiology and condition of one's feet, this may prove to be difficult at first. I know it was several months before I could do it reliably, sweating or not sweating, with my right foot. It was much faster with my left foot, which is strange, because I'm right-footed. Anyway, I have no rhyme or reason at this point. I just play with the ball, picking it up with one foot, setting it down, picking it up with the other foot, setting it back down. Sometimes I see how long I can hold the ball with a clenched foot before I get tired. I just go with the flow, usually while checking social media or something like that.

I am crediting the golf ball thing with greatly improving my quality of life. Several years ago, I was at the point where it was hard to make it through the day at work because my feet hurt so much from walking miles and miles every day on concrete. Today, I never really think about that. Of course my feet get tired, just like everybody else, but I never think about wanting to sit down at every possible moment because of my feet like I did before.

I do some other things without the golf ball as well, but again, they are not necessarily regimented into a "routine." For example, every time I go upstairs, I take 30 seconds to stretch my calf muscles. While I am stretching one calf muscle, I am flexing the toes of the other foot back and forth between extreme "high heel" position, to toes folded under like a ballerina would do. As my present tool partner at work says at least 20 times a day, "I'm not saying it's right, it's just what I do." I hope this explanation has been adequate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has indeed, and I found it both fascinating and informative. Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 11:57 AM, Shyheels said:

I used to do a lot of yoga style stretching when I used to run marathons and do fencing. Although I’ve not done any in a long time, or rather only sporadically, it has given me very strong and supple feet and ankles. I am planning on resuming it. It is just a good thing all around.

Yoga while not for everyone is just sooooo good!  The cumulative effects have been life changing for me. 

On 10/10/2019 at 2:48 PM, Pierre1961 said:

Good idea. 

Having strong and supple ankle 

for both improving and keeping our abilities in case of no heeling for a while 

what about proprioception wearing heels outside?

Definitely worth an experiment to see if the time investment pays off for each individual, imho.

On 10/11/2019 at 1:29 AM, Cali said:

I have had ankle issues almost my entire life.  I now understand that my feet's bone structure leans itself to many having problems. I first sprained my ankle (very bad sprain) when is was 8 or 9. I've had 2 other major sprains where you are on crutches for over two months. I would twist my ankle hundreds of times a year. In 2000 the pain reach I point that visited the doctor. Since then I have had two ankle reconstructions on one foot and a ankle reconstruction on the other.  After each reconstruction I went thru months of rehab.  One of the exercises I did often was balance on the toes of one foot while standing on an incline. This really strengthen my ankle, improved my balance (skiing).  I have done this exercise ever since. I  credit it with my ability to put on 4 inch heels for the first time and walk off in less than a minute.

I now have two badly torn tendons that I am trying to avoid surgery on.   The "good news" is that heels help with the pain.

Interesting exercise.  I wish you the best of health with your torn tendons. 

On 10/11/2019 at 4:31 AM, JeffB said:

Hmm! Interesting. I might give this a try!

Cool!

On 10/12/2019 at 6:01 AM, mlroseplant said:

HA! We're both up early on a Saturday, but that's ground which has been covered before. There are two main things I do with a golf ball--one is massage and engagement of the sole of the foot. I start by placing the golf ball on the floor (a non-slick floor works more easily) and pressing on it with the ball of the foot, then rolling it slowly back to my heel. Gently at first, because it may feel strange or uncomfortable, but fairly firmly once you've gotten used to it after a time. I am really trying to knead the plantar fascia, that often problematic ligament that runs pretty much the entire sole of your foot.

The second and perhaps most important thing I do with the golf ball is I pick it up with my toes and move it around. Depending on one's natural physiology and condition of one's feet, this may prove to be difficult at first. I know it was several months before I could do it reliably, sweating or not sweating, with my right foot. It was much faster with my left foot, which is strange, because I'm right-footed. Anyway, I have no rhyme or reason at this point. I just play with the ball, picking it up with one foot, setting it down, picking it up with the other foot, setting it back down. Sometimes I see how long I can hold the ball with a clenched foot before I get tired. I just go with the flow, usually while checking social media or something like that.

I am crediting the golf ball thing with greatly improving my quality of life. Several years ago, I was at the point where it was hard to make it through the day at work because my feet hurt so much from walking miles and miles every day on concrete. Today, I never really think about that. Of course my feet get tired, just like everybody else, but I never think about wanting to sit down at every possible moment because of my feet like I did before.

I do some other things without the golf ball as well, but again, they are not necessarily regimented into a "routine." For example, every time I go upstairs, I take 30 seconds to stretch my calf muscles. While I am stretching one calf muscle, I am flexing the toes of the other foot back and forth between extreme "high heel" position, to toes folded under like a ballerina would do. As my present tool partner at work says at least 20 times a day, "I'm not saying it's right, it's just what I do." I hope this explanation has been adequate.

I'll probably incorporate some calf stretching into my yoga routine.  The response, "I'm not saying it's right, it's just what I do" resonates well with me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using High Heel Place, you agree to our Terms of Use.