Publicity on Instagram

KneeBooted

Instagram: public or private?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should I have my Instagram account documenting my heeling be public or private?

• Public
    • Private

I’m throwing a poll out here to see what everyone’s thoughts are on this? Initially I jump to it being private, in that I only let those who I allow in can see my posts/pictures. But part of me thinks that with my attempts at continuing public heeling, anyone and everyone out there has the ability to take my picture, likely without me even knowing.

One thing to note is that on my posts, I don’t tend to hide my face, so anyone who knows me will know that I wear heels. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think you should share anything on social media under the guise that it will be kept private, regardless of what system the platform tries to use to make things "private".  There is always the possibility that it will be copied and "leaked" outside of whatever boundaries it claims to have.  This is why I make all my accounts public, because mentally it helps me be more careful and think twice before sharing anything, rather than getting a false sense of security.  

• Like 4

You do bring up a good point @p1ng74. I recall one time when I was flying, I had a woman on my flight who I am fairly certain walked behind me through a connecting terminal for the sole purpose of getting a picture or two of me in my heeled boots. I never saw said pictures, etc., but I certainly wouldn't be too worried in the grand scheme of things, unless I wasn't getting any of the royalties! :lol:

There's nothing I post to the account that I would consider to be beyond PG, unless a guy in heels is somehow rated R?

47 minutes ago, jeremy1986 said:

You hit on one of the sore points - being pasted all over social media. Indeed, some of the gang here would probably not mind... but I believe I would.

While some of us, deep down inside, feel like a rock star when wearing heels, in the grand scheme of things there are much weirder and viral things out there that will get pasted all over social media before a random guy wearing heels will start to get shared around with any significant interest.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 2

It depends what the theme to your account is going to be - if it is just about your daily life, and in those images you happened to be wearing heels, casually and without comment, many won't notice at all and of those that do a few might make a comment (unlikely to be bad) but it is hardly going to go 'viral'.  

And if you made your account about a guy wearing heels, using whatever hashtags that entails, the people visiting your account or seeing the images are likely to have similar tastes, or at least not be shocked by the idea.

True, your friends and colleagues - those who you tell about your new Instagram account - will notice that you are wearing heels, whichever way you go. If that is an issue, but you still want an account with images of heels, use a non-de-plume and simply don't mention it to those you would prefer not to know. It is most unlikely, given the millions of images posted every hour, that anyone will stumble across them. It can happen of course (some of your friends may be closet heel wearers!) and you'd have to be prepared for that, but I think it would be unlikely.     

• Like 1

What Shyheels says is spot on.  Also, I discovered that when you create an Instagram account, by default it works very tightly with Facebook now.  If you provide an email address, it will start by pulling all your friends in as suggestions to follow, etc. and it makes you wonder if the reciprocal will also occur.  I found it is better to not provide an email address if you want a “fresh” account that won’t be automatically promoted to your FB network by Instagram.  As Shyheels said over time people will eventually stumble across it, especially if you tell any of your friends and colleagues or cross-share anything onto both platforms at once.  But not providing an email address seems to circumvent the disturbingly tight integration, at least initially.  

If you're going to do it at all, I agree with @p1ng74. You've almost got to dive in all the way and make it public. I know my wife purposefully cuts my feet off in every single picture, because she's embarrassed of me, at least to her Vietnamese family. My heeling buddy has got several pictures of me out there wearing heels, but they're not necessarily all that easy to find. Even I have to dig through her profile to find them. But I don't try to keep them secret. This website, of course, is a different story. I have no idea who may be looking at my pictures here, and I guess I don't much care.

• Like 1