Blogging, anyone?

Tallboots

I have been thinking of a nail blog since I have my nails exquisitely done all the time. I also experiment  with color, materials, processes, etc.

I have a tentative  name but I concern of having enough content.

I have contemplated starting one with my wife. We would cover many things, splitting it into her stuff, my stuff, family stuff, etc.

We haven’t quite gotten there yet, but brainstorming has started. I definitely want to have one though that covers my heeling, if nothing else.

By the way @Tallboots I just realized I follow you on Instagram.

Edited by KneeBooted

I wouldn’t mind creating a blog, after 20+ years of wearing high heels in public, I probably could offer some valid advice.  But alas, I am so technology impaired I would not know how to begin setting one up....  

Like mlroseplant, this site will have to suffice.....  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

22 hours ago, SF said:

I wouldn’t mind creating a blog, after 20+ years of wearing high heels in public, I probably could offer some valid advice.  But alas, I am so technology impaired I would not know how to begin setting one up....  

Like mlroseplant, this site will have to suffice.....  sf

23 hours ago, Cali said:

I have been thinking of a nail blog since I have my nails exquisitely done all the time. I also experiment  with color, materials, processes, etc.

I have a tentative  name but I concern of having enough content.

Well, that's just it--what on earth would you write about? I am imagining something like a newspaper column, where you would write something every week or so. In our case, be the subject nails, heels, dresses, skirts, &c., I think a person could have strong, interesting material for the first two or three times, but then what? At that point, I think you'd have to artificially create interest somehow, and this seems to me to be the opposite of what we seek as men who sport what has been traditionally women's fashion. We kind of want as little interest as possible--to be left the hell alone.

It is difficult enough to come up with something interesting to say on my thread here, without getting completely off the subject. I have no idea what I would say every week in a blog, where I would be expected to be interesting. I think I get a "pass" here if occasionally I write something less than brilliant, because of our long-standing community.

Why should your blog have to stay strictly on the subject? Book reviews, fashion commentary - no end of possibilities there - people watching, flexibility tips, shoe/boot care, history of fashion, fashion in movies etc etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Why should your blog have to stay strictly on the subject? Book reviews, fashion commentary - no end of possibilities there - people watching, flexibility tips, shoe/boot care, history of fashion, fashion in movies etc etc etc. 

I think a Nail blog (for example) should stay on subject or very close to it. It have nothing to do with movies unless you are talking about the nails of the actors. I think I could talk about different processes,  different product, colors. Hopefully get sponsorship or products for free.  Then I have my toes, so toes with heels/sandals would also be okay.  It turned out I wore the "In color"a week before it got very popular this year, trend setter?  Currently they are "mild", one direction they are almost clear, the other direction mint green sparkles.

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

We kind of want as little interest as possible--to be left the hell alone.

I'm the opposite here, I enjoy the interest. You can't hide your fingernails unless it's winter and you have gloves on. I try to have nails that are exquisite, I want them better that 98% of the people with nails. So I don't mind them being noticed, admired, envied, yes envied! And they are. I have had women take a close-up picture of my nails to show their nail technician what they want.

Thanks for the positive feedback! 

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

[...] and this seems to me to be the opposite of what we seek as men who sport what has been traditionally women's fashion. We kind of want as little interest as possible--to be left the hell alone. [...]

This is an interesting statement. I can only speak for myself, so these are my personal thoughts on the subject.
I would love for high heels, tall boots and other garments to be considered "genderless". I would love it if people who see me walking down the street in 5" stilettos would think in terms of "bold", "nice", "different but interesting" etc. I want to make it less unusual.

This forum is a great resource for discussions and questions, but blogging in here won't make a difference in the real world. And also, having an Instagram account with a profile description that says "I'm a man who loves to wear high heels" and showing only photos of what you have on your feet kinda sends the message "I know I'm not supposed to wear shoes like this but I can't resists so I hide...".

As I said - just my personal thoughts.

5 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I am quite impressed that you manage to provide good images for your blog. It is the big failing point for most blogs. Yours looks quite professional. Nice job.

Thanks. :)

I probably won't surprise you when I say it takes about 50 shots to get 2 - 3 that I'm satisfied with. 

7 minutes ago, Tallboots said:

Thanks. :)

I probably won't surprise you when I say it takes about 50 shots to get 2 - 3 that I'm satisfied with. 

It doesn’t surprise me at all. I am a professional photographer and take great care with the photos for my website and blog. My ratio is even lower than yours. I shot 170 images this morning and I am using three.

Edited by Shyheels

11 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

It doesn’t surprise me at all. I am a professional photographer and take great care with the photos for my website and blog. My ratio is even lower than yours. I shot 170 images this morning and I am using three.

Then your compliment means even more!

I use self-timer a lot, so perhaps it's easier when you are both in front and behind the camera. ;) 

41 minutes ago, Tallboots said:

Then your compliment means even more!

I use self-timer a lot, so perhaps it's easier when you are both in front and behind the camera. ;) 

I do the same with my blog - being both photographer and subject can be quite a challenge since you have to see the image in your mind’s eye and then try to recreate it - getting the light right, the body language correct and all the details sorted requires a lot of patience and practice - as you know.

Tallboots the blog is very nice and I think pleasantly promotes what we have a passion for here.  I have been blogging for 20 years now (back then people hadn’t really coined the term yet) and it takes a bit of time just to write the content.  The photos, as others have pointed out, add even more time commitment.  I grew to appreciate the quality of full outfit photos while playing on Reddit and just how much time it takes to use self-timer and remote shutter to get that shot you are looking for.  Great work.  

I blogged about my cowboy boots initially but switched to more socially engaging outlets for my interest in boots once I found HHP and certain subs on Reddit.  I don’t have a lot of blog followers so this is a bit more satisfying and engaging to me.  

10 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Tallboots the blog is very nice and I think pleasantly promotes what we have a passion for here.  I have been blogging for 20 years now (back then people hadn’t really coined the term yet) and it takes a bit of time just to write the content.  The photos, as others have pointed out, add even more time commitment.  I grew to appreciate the quality of full outfit photos while playing on Reddit and just how much time it takes to use self-timer and remote shutter to get that shot you are looking for.  Great work.  

I blogged about my cowboy boots initially but switched to more socially engaging outlets for my interest in boots once I found HHP and certain subs on Reddit.  I don’t have a lot of blog followers so this is a bit more satisfying and engaging to me.  

I had no idea that my comments would be as controversial as they have been. Yes, I agree that @Tallboots's blog is very well done. After thinking about it for a day, I have realized that the reason I don't start a blog is not because I think it's unworkable. It's just because I don't want to. It is a huge time commitment, especially if you add a lot of photos, and I just don't want to spend that kind of time on it.  For the same reason, I don't do much with Youtube, either.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:43 AM, mlroseplant said:

I have thought about it, but have decided that my thread here on this forum is quite blog enough.

I can relate to this statement.  I have been a many different internet forums over the years, and one thing that sets HHP apart is the prevalence of well written, blog quality contributions.  This is in contrast to most social media these days where people write like they are texting their friend.  Much of my desire to organize thoughts around shoes and fashion are fulfilled through this “blogging network” right here at HHP.  

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 12:32 PM, mlroseplant said:

I had no idea that my comments would be as controversial as they have been. Yes, I agree that @Tallboots's blog is very well done. After thinking about it for a day, I have realized that the reason I don't start a blog is not because I think it's unworkable. It's just because I don't want to. It is a huge time commitment, especially if you add a lot of photos, and I just don't want to spend that kind of time on it.  For the same reason, I don't do much with Youtube, either.

You do not deviate much from the initial thinking.

And magically in HHP, content spawn by itself in your thread, thanks to the other users.

Edited by Gudulitooo