Zodiac booties

pebblesf

Bought these inexpensive Zodiac booties off ebay, size 10.  I really like the look of the heel and color, even though the toes are more rounded than I prefer.  I bought these partially because the short shafts fit in my bag easier, but also to wear instead of my stiletto boots that are getting torn up on rough surfaces/roads/sidewalks.  While these booties look good, they are really not designed very well in terms of walkability....I realize that Zodiac is probably a lower cost product, but I wish they the heels/soles were designed a bit better for ease of walking.  The underslung heels tend to buckle a bit making me feel a bit uneasy, perhaps losing a few pounds might help!  These booties seem to be more for "show" than "go", but I didn't pay much for them so can't complain. 

IMG_E0547.JPG

Edited by pebblesf
picture change
  • Like 7

Well, was roaming around downtown Denver today, among many others while wearing the Zodiac booties.  Suddenly, one of thee soles "blew out", just like a flat in a car....I had about 1/4 mile to get back to the hotel, managed to drag my right foot to keep the sole from flopping back while trying not to draw attention to myself.  Oh well, they were fun while they lasted....

It’s amazing how companies get away with making such shoddy things. But of course we let them, by making price the sole criteria. Horribly wasteful of the materials and energy that go into the making of them. I think I could probably hazard a guess at the country of manufacture. 

I am thinking of bringing these Zodiacs to the cobbler to see if he thinks the sole can be "glued" back on....I know I will pay more than the booties are worth, but that is OK.  Even though these booties are cheap, and not that easy/comfortable to walk in, I kind of like them.  Prior to the "blow out", I rode in the elevator with a middle aged (my age) couple.  I was thrilled when the husband spoke up and said "great boots"!

If the cobbler balks at the possibility of repair, will let him toss them out, can't really do it myself....

Wow, that is becoming the story of my life, shoes failing catastrophically. It seems I am always gluing something back together, and it doesn't necessarily get better as you go up in price point. Some of my worst offenders have been Michael Kors, which are not all that cheap. I've also had trouble with the Vera Wang "Lavender" series shoes, which are even less not all that cheap than the Michael Kors. As I've said many times before, it all comes of walking in shoes that were really not designed to be walked in.

I wonder if it wouldn't be more advisable to find another pair of booties that do not have the walkability drawbacks of these Zodiacs. At that height, I can't think of a reason why you should put up with them being hard to walk in, especially now that they've failed on you badly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Wow, that is becoming the story of my life, shoes failing catastrophically. It seems I am always gluing something back together, and it doesn't necessarily get better as you go up in price point. Some of my worst offenders have been Michael Kors, which are not all that cheap. I've also had trouble with the Vera Wang "Lavender" series shoes, which are even less not all that cheap than the Michael Kors. As I've said many times before, it all comes of walking in shoes that were really not designed to be walked in.

I wonder if it wouldn't be more advisable to find another pair of booties that do not have the walkability drawbacks of these Zodiacs. At that height, I can't think of a reason why you should put up with them being hard to walk in, especially now that they've failed on you badly.

You are right, of course....The issue I struggle with is finding a pair I like in my size.....While I truly like many kinds of boots, I am extremely particular about the style...Don't know why I am even considering a repair, I have a nice pair of Frye cowgirl boots and a nice pair of Frye booties.  I tend to cling to things I like, which is ridiculous of course.  It is ironic that I got two compliments on these booties just prior to them failing! 

The important take away here is that just because shoes have a good brand name, or carry a big price tag, does not mean that they are of quality construction.  I think your observation is absolutely correct, manufacturers assume that many of their products will not actually be "walked in" on a regular basis, so they are not all that concerned about proper engineering....

Edited by pebblesf
grammar

There seems to be a significant following of Zodiacs based on the number of listings on places like Etsy.  I’m curious when Zodiac quit making shoes, and if the ones you bought have spent significant time in storage, which will deteriorate glues.  I say if they are real leather boots they are probably worth getting resoled.  

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, p1ng74 said:

There seems to be a significant following of Zodiacs based on the number of listings on places like Etsy.  I’m curious when Zodiac quit making shoes, and if the ones you bought have spent significant time in storage, which will deteriorate glues.  I say if they are real leather boots they are probably worth getting resoled.  

Yes, I remember Zodiac boots from years ago...I am going to take them to the shoemaker that has resoled many pairs of boots for me, am willing to gamble $20 to save them....The heels on these Zodiacs are a little higher than my Frye's, which is why I like them so much....

• Like 1