What's your technique for buying shoes?

Firefox

I usually play the "these are for my wife" card if I'm asked but mostly no-one seems to care that I am a bloke buying womens shoes. I am lucky in that I have quite small feet (UK Size 7) and they aren't too wide either, so I have never had to try shoes on before buying. So far I have not bought a pair that didn't fit OK when I got home. I really wouldn't have the guts to try shoes on in a shop so I admire the guys on this forum who do. The only exception to this was when I bought a pair of 6" stillies from a TV shop. They insisted I try them on first and even though they were designed for men they were the tightest fitting shoes I ever bought - go figure! Zathrus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to see the adverse comments about male shoe seller assistants. I've never seen that. I prefer females, but to be honest the guys who work in shoe shops are in touch and well trained by very definition. There's no substitute for trying the shoes on in the shop if you are approx the right size. Think of the benefits: 1. You can make completely sure they fit. 2. You are further educating the store people and other passing customers it's not that unusual for a guy to wear heels. 3. It's fun and you can strike up some intersting conversations. 4. You further squash any inhibitions you may have, to wear the footwear of your personal choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I went to Brent Cross shopping centre. I bought a pair of black sandals from Marks and Spencer in size 8 although I usually wear 9. I did not try them on. I just put them in a basket and went and paid for them. I tried them on in the car and they fit great. I am really chuffed about this because Marks only go up to size 8 but they now do some great shoes. I then went to Next and bought a pair of pointed toe shoes with an ankle strap in size 9. They were just sitting on the shelf and I picked them up and went and paid for them. A guy served me and did give me a strange look but I got the shoes. They fit fine but I am not sure about the style. I may therefore have to take them back. I usually buy shoes on the net but they are quite expensive and there is always the wait for them to arrive. My first pair were the red sandals, as per my avatar, which I bought from Italian Heels. They are lovely shoes although a bit expensive but the great thing is that you can see what they have in stock before you order and they only take a few days to arrive. I have also bought a pair of black mules with metal spike heels from there. Wow! I can't believe I now have 13 pairs of heels.

Heel thyself

Over 50 pairs of heels now on my website at www.geocities.com/wayneheels/

Yesterday I was in a couple of shops, dressed in t-shirt and jeans. Although I had tights onunderneath the jeans, they were not noticable. At one shoe shop, the sales lady pointed out where the men's shoes were- a rather odd thing to point out since I'd already spent a couple of minutes looking at the womens shoes. At that same shoe shop, the sales man automatically assumed that I was shopping for some one else, as did a saleslady at Victoria's Secret. I found that a little irritating, although given the fact that I wasn't wearing anything normally considered feminine, it is an understandable assumption to make.

the truth shall make you fret

• 3 years later...

I browse the shelves, find something I like, ask for my size, try them on, pay, and leave. I've had very positive experiences, and some sales folks will comment on how they look or asking to make sure they fit well.

I buy some of my shoes online from e-stores like zappos and Gotham City online since finding what I want in stores can take up a lot of time. I have a couple of sizes sent to me and send back the pair that doesn't fit. I have become less inhibited about trying shoes on in stores over the years, and usually shop when the stores aren't busy (Mondays at opening or closing time usually works well). I prefer sales women, as they seem to be more "in touch" with the shoes, less judgemental, and offer valuable advice. A few of years ago I was shopping "for my wife", and the sales lady asked me if I'd like to try them on, smiled, and said her boyfriend wears her shoes all the time. I agreed, and proceeded to try on four pairs of boots until I found the perfect fit. She was very helpful and complimented me on how they looked. This experience made me a lot more comfortable with trying on shoes at the store, and has saved me quite a few returns.

A few of years ago I was shopping "for my wife", and the sales lady asked me if I'd like to try them on, smiled, and said her boyfriend wears her shoes all the time.

Imagine how totally cool that would be - to have a girlfriend who works in a shoe store! I wonder if the boyfriend ever visited this site 8)

Maybe you're onto something here smitty. If you're trying on heels, you might ask the saleslady what she thinks of them, or ask her if she can suggest any styles for you, or if she would go out with a guy wearing heels. You never know until you ask...

Personally I don't make a big deal out of it. Where I tend to shop the assistant seems to assume I'm going to try them on anyway. Maybe my reputation preceeds me or men trying heels on is far more common than we think.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I've had mixed responses. Some shoe store assistants never bat an eyelid and I'm treated like any other customer. One experience in Schuh was amusing as the sales assistant was incredibly excited she was serving a guy trying on heeled shoes. Perhaps it was the first time and she was intrieged. Another time I've had sales assistants giggling in the background (teenage girls so it can be expected). When I went to ask to try on a pair of shoes in a Clarks store in Aberystwyth (mid-Wales to those who don't know) I was met with a nervous look from the sales assistant. She said they didn't have my size in stock but I reckon she just didn't wanna serve me. The key to successful shoe shopping is to try to block out other customers who you might think are staring at you. They generally aren't but it helps because if you just focus on the shoe trying and buying you won't get any problems because you're feeling confident! C'est la vie!

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

I've had mixed responses. Some shoe store assistants never bat an eyelid and I'm treated like any other customer. One experience in Schuh was amusing as the sales assistant was incredibly excited she was serving a guy trying on heeled shoes. Perhaps it was the first time and she was intrieged. Another time I've had sales assistants giggling in the background (teenage girls so it can be expected). When I went to ask to try on a pair of shoes in a Clarks store in Aberystwyth (mid-Wales to those who don't know) I was met with a nervous look from the sales assistant. She said they didn't have my size in stock but I reckon she just didn't wanna serve me.

The key to successful shoe shopping is to try to block out other customers who you might think are staring at you. They generally aren't but it helps because if you just focus on the shoe trying and buying you won't get any problems because you're feeling confident!

C'est la vie!

"The key to successful shoe shopping is to try to block out other customers who you might think are staring at you. They generally aren't but it helps because if you just focus on the shoe trying and buying you won't get any problems because you're feeling confident!"

Excellent point! Thanks for the tip.

I'm strictly an online buyer. I would like to go shopping for heels so I would be able to try them on but I just haven't got the nerve. Don't think I ever will! Most important thing: I can live with online purchases. Most styles I fancy are only available online. I don't know of any local shops that sell my favourite styles.

For the last few years, I can sum it up in four words:

E B A Y !!!!!

Don't you mean four letters? Heh! Anyhoo, I also use eBay and other online resources since size 13 (wide) or 14 (medium) are all but impossible to find in stores, no matter how far and wide I search.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I buy in little shops in Paris (foot size 41/42 EU), but you can't find shoes with more than 4" heel... I'd like to find some 6" heel, but, I don't know were searching. (There are probably some mistakes) 8)

I buy in little shops in Paris (foot size 41/42 EU), but you can't find shoes with more than 4" heel...

I'd like to find some 6" heel, but, I don't know were searching.

(There are probably some mistakes) 8)

Pierre Silber Try this for larger sizes in any size heel.

real men wear heels

Hello, I bought my high heels and boots through ebay. Hence i know no store in my local area that sells that kind of shoes. So the extra money for sending the items is no problem. With a bit of luck you can do a bargain on ebay. mick610518

There are several French retailers of high heels.

Check out at least Ernest and Jean Gaborit as they both have things that you might find suitable.

And there is also www.sacapuce.fr in Paris. Prob will not find 6" there but a lot of other.

Ernest is rather pricey if you ask me. But maybe the qual is according to the price.

Edit:

Tried to correct the link above (the r should a c) so now it look correct but it still links to the old spelling??!!

Try this one instead: www.sacapuce.fr

Sorry for the problem I've caused. I was a bit tired after just have gotten home from 3 days in Hamburg. 8)

Well, way back in the day when I did shop in person (Payless), I'd find a shoe that interested me, try them on, and if they fit properly and I liked how they looked, I bought them, all the while ignoring everyone around me. I simply went about my business while they went about theirs. Simple as that. At least for me anyway.

As I need appr US woman 13½-14, EU 45, there are only a few shops carrying shoes/boots in these sizes. And I think they are accustomed with guys trying them on more than the "normal" shoe shops women department where 99,9% are women. I mean, how many women need size 14? So trying on shoes in shops is not such a big event because of this. I was in Hamburg the last couple of days and bought a new pair if boots with a square toe box and a blade heel of 4½", 11,5 cm.

post-2944-133522844947_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

Color me suitably impressed! Those boots are absolutely gorgeous! I'm envious! Don't see much if anything in the way of blade heels here in the States these days, so that style takes me back, reminds me of how much I loved them when they were in vogue here. I hope you'll enjoy those boots!

I already put some mileage on them in Hamburg. 8) But with just a thin leather sole I should take them to the cobbler shortly to get a rubber sole put to them, or I am afraid they will wear out in no time. :boxing:

BTW Jeff, do I get the honour of meeting you in New York late October? I have read your postings with great interest and it would be nice to see you IRL too.

This forum is sooo cool when it comes to meet new friends. In Hamburg I met up with heeluis and we spent a nice evening together, chatting about just everything.

Horray that hhplace exists. :unsure:

Posted Image

Color me suitably impressed! Those boots are absolutely gorgeous! I'm envious! Don't see much if anything in the way of blade heels here in the States these days, so that style takes me back, reminds me of how much I loved them when they were in vogue here. I hope you'll enjoy those boots!