What's your technique for buying shoes?

Firefox

Oh, as for my technique, it's dirt simple: I go into a store, if I see something I like, I ask if it's in my size, if so, I try them on, if I like them, I buy them. Just like that! No rocket science involved! You just have to go out there and do it!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2002-06-13 12:51, Anonymous wrote:

Actually, a data base of shoe sellers through the net could be started in this board. We can have categories of Good, Acceptable, Crooks (banned) etc. This could protect us all.

What do you think?

Uhh, obviously you didn'y check out the shops-section of the site yet..

We already have something like that. It just seems that people don't want to share their experiences, cause we get very few new entries.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff on 2002-06-13 22:07 ]</font>

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

I can't actually remember the first time I bought heels in a shop. I don't think I was nervous about it because I was already wearing heels out at that time so there was nothing to hide. I'm really pleased to see how other people have overcome this hurdle though. If it's any encouragement, me and my friends often razz round the shoe shops in London and surrounding areas trying them on to get people used to the idea even if we don't want to buy, so if you are from this part of the world, others have gone before you.

I once plucked up enough courage to buy some heels in a local shop. I was very self concious, but at the end I walked out with a pair of stilettoes which fitted. The assistant didn't bat an eyelid. Admittedly I haven't bought a pair since then in a shop.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Actually, I have found that most stores that carry larger size seem to expect that some men will be buying and trying on shoes. Something that I found that eases the nervousness is to call first. Ask if there's a problem with a man trying on womens shoes. Since they can't very well see you through the phone, there's no embarassment involved. If they tell you it's not a problem, then you're all set. Unfortunately, in my area, all of the small shoe stores that carried large sizes seem to be going out of business. I get tired of the same six styles that have at Payless. I used to have three stores that I could go to and try on shoes to my heart's content. But now, there's only one, and it caters to fetish styles with heels so damn high that only a ballerina could possibly walk in them! Oh for some 3.5 inch classic spike heel pumps in black patent!

Has anyone ever been told there was some problem with trying on shoes marketed for women? If so you can tell them they were acting illegally. I doubt it ever did happen as shops are keen to sell shoes to anyone who has the cash to buy them!

The last time I bought a pair of heels - which wasn't (and should never be!) that long ago - was from a Faith store. The assistant there couldn't have been more helpful. I'd chosen a pair from their "9" range, and asked if they did all the styles in a 9. The assistant walked me round the shop pointing out which styles they had in my size. She couldn't have been more helpful. It was obvious (I think) that they were for me, and .... SO WHAT !! Like so many others here, I wish I'd done it that way many years sooner.

• 1 month later...

I wish that I had been braver about wearing heels in public earlier than i did [i guess i waited about 5 years or so before i was really ready] but i've never had much trouble with trying stuff on in the shop, regardless of whethere i go in all dressed up or incognito.

the only bad experience that i've had was at payless where i attempted to order some 4" dyables. The problem was that the sales rep did not know how to do it, and when he finally figured out what to do he realised that his branch didn't 'do' dyables. There was a bit of a queue behind me at that point so it was a bit embarassing.

With shoes it really pays to try them on first- although i've bought plenty of shoes that were wonderful in the shop but not so comfortable at home.

the truth shall make you fret

I find that its a lot easier buying heels now than years ago. I feel that some shoe store chains actually train their sales people in dealing with TGs buying heels or clothes. I think they are realizing that we are a viable group to market to. I have found howener that many oriental shoe sales girls tend to steer me towards the mens shoes. "the mens shoes are on this side sir" well no sweety Im looking for ladies... in an 11. And in some stores the girls are very good, discretly offering that if ide like to try them on its ok. Stores like that get me back fast. As in the case of Aldo shoes. and they do have up to 11 in many styles

I did some shopping recently. Brussels : i bought a pair of blade heels pumps at Roberto, chaussée de Wavre (Ixelles). The shop catersmainly for an african clientele and stock large sizes. The sale lady (african) was very helpful, showed me various models and encouraged me to try tem on. She had absolutely no problem in serving male customers, she actually told me it is not unusual. However, the quality of the shoes was a bit disappointing , i found that the heels were very fragile. London : Barratts , Oxford Street. I bought a pair of boots size 10 and a pair of strappy heel sandals. Again, the (young) sale girl was very friendly and helpful. Note that i always wear heels when shopping, and pantyhose or stay up, not funny big socks. I NEVER had any negative experience while shopping for shoes. Cheers, Vanessa

• 10 months later...

Someone mentioned the Nordstrom Rack stores, where the shoes are grouped on racks according to size. You know, it would seem to me that the large stroes such as Nordstroms would do well to have a small back room area where guys could go to try on shoes to their heart's content. That way, none of the female customers would be "shocked", and us guys wouldn't need be nervous about trying on heels in public. This doesn't need to be a posh place, just a chair or two and a mirror, out of general view. There'd be no need to advertise, as believe me, word would get around. But a small note in an ad stating "CD welcome" or something along those lines would do the trick. I bet they sell more than enough shoes to make that worth there while.

This presents no problem for me. I couldn't fit into anything I'd be interested in at Nordstrom, etc. Naturally I like to try shoes on before buying them. Pierre Silber is the only place I can do this so I'll check with them first whenever I'm in the mood to buy something. If they don't have it, then I go online. However by this time I have a sense for what will work and have not had to return many things. There is really no technique at all. The fetish shop people have seen it all before so there is no need to be embarrassed. A small drink may help your first time out, but don't drink so much that you are thrown off balance.

Michael

It's nice to see some enouraging stories. I think my number one tip would be wear 4" heels when you are shoe shopping. 95% of shop staff are well trained to serve all types of customer in a modern world, but for the 5% who aren't, wearing them proves you are a serious customer. That's your style, it's plain for everyone to see, and all without saying a word. Pictures speak louder than words so use them!

I agree with Fox on this one, I even have wore heels only 3" high. It is best to be wearing heels if you are going to try out a new pair in a store. Wearing heels makes an unmistakable statement with out saying a word. But you are still going to get some stares and funny look from other customers. But the clerks seem to be more serious in you as the customer that is most likely going to buy something. Some time it is not a man who is gong to be uncomfortable trying out heels. I was at one store where I was not wearing my heels, there was a very nice tall women in her mid to late 30’s that was trying out high heels right next to me. At some point I over heard her complain to one of the clerks about me hanging around the women’s shoe section in the next row. The clerk came over and ask me if she can help me. I just replied no thanks and continued to say that I was just looking. Of course I did not stay there to much longer after words as it appeared to be an uncomfortable situation for all of us. But after I was out side it I figured out exactly what happened. Apparently before she saw me there, she had several boxes around her trying various kinds of high heels. I was to busy looking for something for my self, so I know I was not staring at her or noticed what others heels she tried on. But I did briefly noticed out of the corner of my eye that she was wearing one pair that was farley high, T strap with something like a 4 “ semi chunky heel . She appeared to be awkward and unconfident in them. Apparently she never wore heels before, maybe because she was overly aware that she is tall and never wore heels before until now. But with me being there was just enough for her to freak out. :D:wink:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Last weekend I had a trip round London.

I bottled out of trying on some shoes in Sasha, in Kensington High Street, as they had two male staff working in there. They could have had two, four, ten even, female staff and I would have bluffed it; but other blokes. Hmmm. Damn. They had some nice J-Lo boots in my size, half price from GBP 70 down to GBP 35, though a slightly higher heel would have been nicer. Double Darn.

Bertie near Covent Garden didn't have a lot of interest.

I looked in Shelleys, in Covent Garden and elsewhere. They have a "50% off sale" but nothing very nice on show. Looks like they made a big wrong decision as to what to sell; and have been left with loads of stock to shift.

Office in Covent Garden had some nice, and really high, sandals. They had their delivery at the time, so I avoided any sort of problem with macho warehouse guys untrained like the shop staff, by not trying anything on. Got a few odd looks as there were about 7 or 8 staff/delivery people, and only one other customer.

Poste Mistress just round the corner has some very nice stuff, but nothing under about 200 quid. Ouch! I especially liked the high court shoes with an ankle chain that had 4 or 5 miniature dangling solid metal high heel shoes (about 5 or 6 mm long models) each on little chains dangling from the main ankle chain.

L K Bennett in Covent Garden has some wonderful stiletto sandals, with a four and a half inch heel. They have a thin silk toe strap, and a thin stiff leather vertical back strap. The leg tie is a ribbon, and they do these shoes in about 6 or 8 different colours. There was a little Chinese girl trying them on, and she walked really well in them, at size 6. Very expensive for what is a minimal foot covering though. They were about 80 quid. eeeeep.

Barratts, in Oxford Street, had lots of nice sandals and mules, and a range of court shoes in a lot of colours; many around or just above four inches. The shop was very busy.

e! expensive in Beak Street (closing down), and Oxford Street, have some interesting high, "gladiator style" sandals. A nearly 5 inch heel, and then a leather panel on the front of the leg, with straps round the leg, but at over 100 quid in the sale still overpriced.

Aldo, ah yes, Oxford Street, have some sandals that I saw people wearing out the night before. They have a medium-width toe strap, with a metal ring midway joining the two halves. At the ankle they have a cross-over strap over the top of the foot, which ends in the same type of metal ring each side. Then there are very long laces tied to each of the ankle rings which wrap around the leg, as leg ties. They have a metal heel that is very thin, and must be easily 5 inches high. They do have a small platform though. I really wanted to try those, but there were a lot of young girls trying them on; and I don't usually try stuff on when kids are around. They were all saying the shoes were painful, and none of them bought any. I guess it was their untrained ankles, as the people wearing them the night before were on their feet around Leicester Square all evening, and late into the night.

In Leicester Square, two lads (one very camp), and three girls (one very Gothic) were with another person who was very tall (head and shoulders above the rest), with short, but girly styled hair, very short shorts, a bandeau top, and jeans style knee boots with nearly 5 inch blade-ish heel. I thought it might be a man. A few people started heckling, but they got it all back, and some. A few macho blokes started pumping up their chests and it could have got nasty, but the original group just walked away. A few people followed them for a short distance. Bloody apes with egos.

Faith, again in Oxford Street, didn't have a lot of interest. There is a Faith close to home which I looked in a month or so ago, and I also looked on their revamped website, so nothing new was seen in their London store.

A trip to Leatherworks in Islington brought a vast array of things to try on. They have too much stuff! I mentioned them in an earlier post yesterday, so won't go into more details here, except to say that 7 inch heels are as difficult as they look if your ankles aren't flexible enough. I didn't have a problem with the extreme toe shape though.

A look round Camden was planned, but I got there as things were closing down. Still several shops have J-Lo boots (of various quality) on clearance starting at GBP 25 you know; and there are always piles of the perspex platform-soled "stripper" shoes. What always amazes me about Camden is that those shoes sell for GBP 25 in the local United Footware but some shops in Camden mark them as GBP 70 -- Half Price Sale -- GBP 35; Pink Piranha being one such shop that I remember. There must be 30 shoe shops in Camden High Street alone (but none are your regular High Street type outlets).

A look round Soho on the way to find some food, had the usual Paradiso offferings of 5 and 6 inch court shoes and so on.

I went in quite a few other places, but just can't remember them all right now.

i dont have a problem trying them on, i usually have a problem finding stores that have the styles i want in the size i need. i wear a 12 womens(us sizing)and am cursed with wide feet

the fastest way to this man's heart is with nice legs in high heels

You should have offered her some pointers, Hoverfly. If you went about it right, you might have made a convert.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

My wife and I shop for shoes regularly, in standard retail shops. I am blessed with a US size 9 womens foot, and don't hesitate to try on my purchases in boy mode. My wife, when confronted with me trying on shoes, will ask the offender,"what's wrong? Does he walk better in his heels than you do?" We were in a Wild Pair shop before they closed, and my wife asked to see a pair we were looking at, and when the girl brought them out, I took them, saying they were for me. I sat and tried them on, and we took them up to the counter to pay. The girl that waited on us was trying to get the attention of the other staff at the counter, stage wispering "They're for the guy!!" over and over. My wife heard this, and said " Yes honey, they're for him, and he looks better in his dress than you do in yours." That quieted them in a hurry. We also take pictures of me dressed, to prove that I wear heels. :wink:

Any day that you don't learn something new is a day wasted.

I go into the store wearing open toe heels. I only wear 2.5 to 3 inch sandals, but nevertheless, they are still women's heels. All of my other clothing is normal guys clothing. My toenails are perfectly pedicured and polished a pretty bright red and I am wearing sheer toe pantyhose. I pick out the sandals that I would like to try and the sales clerk brings them out. When they see my sandals and bright red toenails, there is no doubt that the shoes are for me.

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Personally, I've never had a problem. I just stride manfully in, pick out what I want, and if they fit and I like them, I buy them. I've been shopping for heels a couple of times while wearing heels, and it's never really made that much difference. I sometimes end up talking about shoes to the assistants. Once or twice, I've ended up talking to other customers! I have had a couple of amusing moments - the most recent was when I found a pair of boots I liked, but I wanted a look around the other shoe shops in the mall. So I asked a member of staff to keep the boots. She asked for a name, and I gave my first name. On returning to the shop, I asked for the boots, to be told that there wasn't anything put aside. I spotted my boots and said 'That's them!' The assistant handed them over, and I paid and left. Back at the car, I noticed that the ticket on the boots said 'Mrs (my first name)'! But I got a pair of leather knee boots with a 2" heel for about eleven quid, so I don't mind what they called me! All in all, I think if you just go for it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I bottled out of trying on some shoes in Sasha, in Kensington High Street, as they had two male staff working in there.

When buying shoes,I have only been served by guys on 2 occasions.The most memorable was when I was shopping in a large store in Melbourne.The shop was split into 3 diffent levels, each floor with it's own style.The first floor was "Hip", the 2nd floor was "Corporate" and the third was for the "Classic" styles.

On this occasion I had a broken wrist and was in a plaster cast.The shop guy noticed me struggling with a boot and came over and offered to assist. Which he did.

This guy really wanted to help and I didn't mind a bit.

He took me to each floor and bought out the boots and shoes I liked the look of and a lot that he thought would suit.Because of my injury he also had to help me into each and every pair and then after I had put them on,gave me his oppinion.

The guy went about serving me in a professional manner and did so with real style and flair. It was great fun!

As far as he was concerned there was nothing unusual about helping me try on heels.As you have absolutely nothing to lose, perhaps it could be worth giving the next sales guy you come across a try.

Oh...and if in the unlikely event the shop guy gives you grief,just douse him in petrol and leave...you don't have to shop there. :wink:

jim

I've never had any problem with male assistants. Given the choice I prefer a female one, if only to see what shoes she is wearing, but the guys are just as knowledgable and friendly. It certainly wouldn't put me off in England if it was a guy who was serving.

As I get cooler with the idea, I guess it would freak me out less to have a man help me in a shop. I somehow feel easier with a woman helping me, tho'. After all, she's probably going to have more experience with heels. Or perhaps that's just my prejudice showing.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I haven't bought any heels in a store since losing the BW (Beautiful Wife). We always shopped together, so it was no problem with either male or female help. Actually, the only male was the store owner of a small shop specializing in exotic dancer shoes, stockings, and other things. He and his wife became friends, as they were open and friendly. Otherwise, I prefer females.

Simple. I just take a deep breath before I go into the shop--usually Nine West, Macy's, Bloomingdales, TJ MAX, or Filene's. Then internally I say to myself, "I'm just going to go in here relaxed and shop for shoes." Then I just mind my own business in a calm and relaxed manner.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Most likely I would have if I was actually wearing heels that day. But I was not and where I live people can be narrow minded here in New England. So I was better off leaving.

You should have offered her some pointers, Hoverfly. If you went about it right, you might have made a convert.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 1 month later...

I will tell you how I purchase heels in stores : First, I go to the shoes shop of my choice, I check if the sale person is a man or a woman. If the sale person is a woman, I continue shopping, because sale women are more open-minded on this subject that a sale men (by experience). So, I check for the shoes I want. Normally, the sale woman comes to me and I say "I want to purchase a gift for my girlfriend. Do you have this one is 40? US 9?" Just by saying this, she usually start to laugh and say that "it's normal to see mens buying high heels". After that comment, I start to be less nervous :lol: After that, the transaction will be complete! You'll be more confident the next time you'll purchase high heel in the store. Sale representative doesn't know you and doesn't want to judge you for the action you'll do. They just want to do a sale. Keep this in your mind and you'll be able to purchase high heel with more confidence :lol:

I have a preference for women, though I have been treated well by several men as well. On rare occasions the men reacted with a smile when I asked for a size 11, but never any problem. Wearing heels is definitely a plus unless it makes you uncomfortable. It is important that you shop with confidence, so if lower heels shoes make you feel less "watched" than just sling on a couple of 2" heelers ! There is nothing more fun than trying on shoes in a store. i try very hard to go when it is not crowded as you can get much more attention from the store clercks. Which usually means you get to try many more pairs !

On this, hum....I don't trust men, except if those salers works in an expensive boutique. I had a bad experience once with a man saler. I always think that women salers doesn't understand us. I'm totally wrong on that. Women salers are more open minded.

I had so much fun today shopping for shoes. Went to a Baker store where I was served by a young lady who was extremely friendly and helpful. I ended up trying on shoes for one and half hour in the store ! Customers came and went while I tried on mules, boots, sneakers, sandals. I ended up bying these two pairs. The sneaker-like shoes were described as Frankenstein-like in a previous thread, but I like them a lot. Very comfortable. The other pair is a mary-jane like type with 4" heel. They are a little tight upfront but otherwise comfortable. It was so great strolling around the store in various pairs. The sales lady even gave me an extra discount because I bought two pairs.

These are the jeans sneakers with a 3.5" heel.

Posted Image

And then I got these. They are a bit more feminine looking than what I usually buy, but I like them

Posted Image

All in all a great day ! For those of you still worried about trying on shoes in store, just go and do it. You will notice very quickly whether the sales staff is accomodating and interested in you. If they are not, just take your business elsewhere.