Second hand stores

hiddenheels

Have come to appreciate second hand stores, like GoodWill . Recently I try to stop by when I'm in the neighbourhood, and have gotten lucky. In one store I found two boots, one brand new (based on the sole) while the other was barely used. Yes, they're a bit older, but they were cheap (less than 20$ each), and they fit great. One has a huge heel & platform, really sexy, but probably too sexy for me to ever wear outside. The other is a 4" stiletto heeled boot, looks awesome under jeans, and is very comfortable. I've worn them out a few times and they're great.

Most recently, I stopped by another GoodWill and found a really good selection of shoes/boots. Envious that the selection in size 7-8 (my wife's size - but she doesn't care for heels) is much larger, but the selection for size 10US is OK. Found 3 candidates, all of which I tried on in the closet where you try on cloths. One an ankle boot fit great, but was too beat up to be worth it. Another looked great, nice ~5" inch heel with 1" platform, which fit great and was too comfortable and cheap for me to pass up. Probably worn once or twice before landing at GoodWill. After looking up the brand name, I found the shoe which retails for ~100$USD...

The third boot was interesting.... It was a brand new knee high boot, no platform, thin 5" stiletto heel. It was a size 9, which is too small for me, but the shoes were so gorgeous I couldn't resist trying them. So I removed my socks, got out my pantyhose-socks thinking maybe with that I'll fit. When I tried them on, they were huge! Put my regular thick socks back, and the fit was perfect. I don't know what kind of size 9 they are but it was sooo comfortable that I had to buy them. The top of the boot, covering the calves, however was another story. My calves aren't thin, but these boots could have fit calves that were 3x the size of mine. Imagining someone with calves that size wearing those boots, I felt sorry for the boots. The top portion of the boots were ugly (raunched, I believe it's called) and way too big, but the foot was a perfect fit. Had to buy, thinking I'll figure it out later. When home, after much thinking, I decided to cut off the portion covering the calves, fold the material in, and sow it in (took me an hour to do all that). End result, I now have a new beautiful pair of 5" ankle boots, something I've wanted for a long time now, that I am super happy with.

I paid ~30$ for the 2 pairs.

I have to stop by these stores more often. Sometimes I find nothing, but sometimes there's a good find, and with shoes this cheap, I can get creative! :)

Anyone found anything exciting in these places?

• Like 3

It’s nice that you are skilled enough to improve those boots with your cutting and sewing.  I’ve done a lot more sowing that sewing in my life.  It yields tasty food but doesn’t help with clothing :p. 

• Like 2

I try to visit Goodwill, Salvation Army, and our local thrift chain:  "Savers" as often as possible.  I have found a few pairs of boots, but am usually frustrated finding boots I might like only to see they are too small.  The key is to get in the habit of visiting as often as possible to scoop up the best candidates.  Patience and persistence pays off, as Hidden Heels has happily discovered..

4 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

It’s nice that you are skilled enough to improve those boots with your cutting and sewing.  I’ve done a lot more sowing that sewing in my life.  It yields tasty food but doesn’t help with clothing :p. 

Yeah, the fact that I "sow" should be a clear indication of my skill-level. :) I was just very motivated to save those boots! :)

58 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

I try to visit Goodwill, Salvation Army, and our local thrift chain:  "Savers" as often as possible.  I have found a few pairs of boots, but am usually frustrated finding boots I might like only to see they are too small.  The key is to get in the habit of visiting as often as possible to scoop up the best candidates.  Patience and persistence pays off, as Hidden Heels has happily discovered..

The smaller sizes definitely have a lot more variety, which is sad. I've seen some boots that I would have loved to buy, but they were way too small. I'll try to drop by these stores more often from now on. 

I figure a lot of people (women) will buy high heels thinking they'll wear it, but it's too high, or too big or whatever. They wear it once or twice and then never again (a-la my wife), then it's off to a thrift store it goes. Having said that, there's a lot of garbage shoes there that I would never in a million years wear.

13 minutes ago, hiddenheels said:

Yeah, the fact that I "sow" should be a clear indication of my skill-level. :) I was just very motivated to save those boots! :)

The smaller sizes definitely have a lot more variety, which is sad. I've seen some boots that I would have loved to buy, but they were way too small. I'll try to drop by these stores more often from now on. 

I figure a lot of people (women) will buy high heels thinking they'll wear it, but it's too high, or too big or whatever. They wear it once or twice and then never again (a-la my wife), then it's off to a thrift store it goes. Having said that, there's a lot of garbage shoes there that I would never in a million years wear.

You are so right buddy, most of the stuff isn't even worth the drive to the store....But, nice boots/heels do end up in the thrift stores just for the reasons you mentioned...

Every once in a while but few and far between are any 12s or 13s seen.  The last pair I found there were a unique ankle strap sling pumps in a 12 with a 3 1/2" stiletto heel.  They fit well with a retail price of $89.99 for $3.00.  They are like brand new and i guess there is an interesting story hidden somewhere.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

11 hours ago, jetheelsfan said:

Every once in a while but few and far between are any 12s or 13s seen.  The last pair I found there were a unique ankle strap sling pumps in a 12 with a 3 1/2" stiletto heel.  They fit well with a retail price of $89.99 for $3.00.  They are like brand new and i guess there is an interesting story hidden somewhere.

Expect she wasn't fond seeing in them. 

I wear a women's 10 or 11 depending on the make and rarely find true heels in those sizes at thrifts. Guess most donations from people are based on what they think the "poor" need so stilettos are usually out. 

There have been rare exceptions to the rule.

29 minutes ago, AZShoeNut said:

I never find shoes in my size at GoodWill. I have donated many shoes in hope that some person with a larger size will be pleasantly surprised.

I hear ya buddy, finding something you like in a larger size is very rare...I'm sure your donations were a great find for someone, hopefully a fellow heel guy....I have often wondered about my donations as well, wish I could have been there to see who bought them....

• Like 1

Since I have us women's size 10 feet I can go almost anywhere and find heels, so if I have time to shop I rather hit a near-by DSW or the large (expanding) mall with Macy's, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, and at least 15 other women's independent shoe brand stores (Aldo, Steve Madden, Express, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Saint Laurent, Salvatore Ferragamo, ...) . I know I will spend a lot more than I would at a second hand store but I don't like wearing other's used clothing, especially shoes since my foot is different from others. (I do like the hand-me-down crop-tops a friend gave me.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pebblesf said:

I have often wondered about my donations as well, wish I could have been there to see who bought them....

Yes, absolutely.  I too have always wondered what becomes of the shoes I have donated.

I have also wondered what the workers think when they come across large shoes like that.  I have heard stories recently about just how crazy it is working at GoodWill from some of my wife's coworkers who have weekend jobs there that I doubt they even notice the large size shoes.  Compared to some of the other things they find I doubt that the large shoe size even hits the radar.

• Like 1

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Went easter egg hunting again today. Found some amazing shoes, beautiful conditions, but alas they were around the size 7-8, too small for me. Got my hopes up though, only to be crushed. :( 

So no luck today, even though I could have used a quick pickmeup... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bailey said:

My latest thrift store find...heel tips not even worn...10 bucks.

20190717_233555.jpg

Amazing boots for sure!  Like we say, patience and persistence can occasionally be rewarded at thrift stores....

• Like 1

Even though I have 8 1/2 - 9 USW feet, I've never found anything at a thrift store in my size that I've wanted to buy. Then again, I hardly ever go to thrift stores. My wife, on the other hand, makes it a hobby and goes several times a week, which must be the way you have to do it, because she comes home with cool shoes and clothes all the time. Too often, in fact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve noted that several of the thrift stores here do not sort shoes by size. Kind of a pain, otherwise I’d probably go more often. Of course as others noted, so 13 are spare pickings no matter where I go.

• Like 1

I use to have really good luck at Goodwill and Value Village, but lately have not had the same.   I find them pretty ransacked at times and the line ups at the cash are ridiculous.  

Where I’m at, several “upscale” consignment stores have popped up and they are all a pleasure to shop at.  I find many luck there, stuffs in better shape than you find at other thrift stores, and for the same or less price at times. 

On 7/17/2019 at 7:38 PM, bailey said:

My latest thrift store find...heel tips not even worn...10 bucks.

20190717_233555.jpg

Those are amazing finds! Good for you!

15 hours ago, canadianbeaver17 said:

I use to have really good luck at Goodwill and Value Village, but lately have not had the same.   I find them pretty ransacked at times and the line ups at the cash are ridiculous.  

Where I’m at, several “upscale” consignment stores have popped up and they are all a pleasure to shop at.  I find many luck there, stuffs in better shape than you find at other thrift stores, and for the same or less price at times. 

I will have to try to find some other such stores, but it's fun searching, even if I end up buying nothing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 11:18 AM, Cali said:

Since I have us women's size 10 feet I can go almost anywhere and find heels, ....

Forty-nine years ago when I bought my first pair of shoes which were not designed for the male of the species, I ordered size 10 M from a Montgomery Ward sale catalog at the age of 18.  They were a "Trio of Tiny Strap" Mary-Jane style mini heeled shoes I had really admired seeing the girls wear.  I had no idea if they were going to fit.  THEY DID!!!!  That was the start of a few years of being able to purchase several pairs of Qualicraft from the clearance rack at Baker's Shoes for dimes on the dollar.  But then my feet began to expand and now a 12 can be a tight fit.  I was fortunate that Payless carried the large sizes as my interest returned about 10 years ago.  But alas, they have become the same history as Baker's did years earlier along with Kinneys, Nobles, Butlers, Thom McAnn, Wild Pair and a myriad of other shoe chains in the malls. 
I do kind of envy those who can still go to a place like DSW or Shoe Carnival and find a wide selection to chose from any day they want.  Congratulations.

• Like 1

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Jet heels.....   We are about the same vintage and I remember all of the stores you mentioned. Back then it was very hard to find any gals shoes larger than size 10.....  I still have a pair of Quali Craft flat sandals!!  I had the gals shoe bug, but not the high heel bug (yet), even back then.  

I wear a size 11 or 12 and fortunately those larger sizes are now available....

Would like to be a size 10 or smaller but you take what you are given....

Have fun......  sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I can remember trying to buy a pair of heels in the late ‘60’s at Thom McAn in size 10 and being told that the style I wanted only goes to size 8.  The store had a very limited selection of size 10. While I can wear a size 11 now, they really need to be a wide width, and those are at least, if not more, rare than size 12.  So I’m still pretty much stuck with limited styles, mostly the ones I don’t like!

• Sad 1

It appears that several of us gentleman are of the same vintage, born in the 1950's and 1960's.  I remember Thom McAnn stores as well and the problem you mentioned about maximum sizes only to nine or ten.  I started wearing gals shoes as a teen and was / am very grateful that most shoemakers eventually began to make shoes and sandals in larger (11-12) sizes.  As a young guy growing up, I knew that my attraction to gals shoes would NEVER go away,  and the fact that the sizes back then were limited was very frustrating.  

I am a size 11 or 12 depending on the manufacturer and have quite a selection of very nice, well fitting flat and high heel gals sandals that I wear proudly.  Makes me feel good, always has and I love it!!  Have fun....   sf 

• Like 2

I stopped into a Plato's Closet store recently. Was looking for skinny jeans / jeggings. Prices were fair, but the selections were fantastic. I've hit a couple of these stores recently. Shoe selections were good. I can see me stopping in more often.

Never heard of Plato's Closet.  Looked 'em up and there is one not to far from me.  Gonna check 'em out...  Will advise....   thanks, sf

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Heelster said:

I stopped into a Plato's Closet store recently. Was looking for skinny jeans / jeggings. Prices were fair, but the selections were fantastic. I've hit a couple of these stores recently. Shoe selections were good. I can see me stopping in more often.

I do not have one of those where I live. But whenever I travel I try to stop in there if there is one near. The quality selection and prices are pretty good for second hand. It is definitely geared to the 30 and under crowd though.

Edited by Mr. X

9 hours ago, Mr. X said:

I do not have one of those where I live. But whenever I travel I try to stop in there if there is one near. The quality selection and prices are pretty good for second hand. It is definitely geared to the 30 and under crowd though.

Agreed - but it dawned on me years ago - - - I don't shop my age/department anyways.

• Like 1