I can't stop wearing heels

I can't stop wearing heels!

The title doesn't mean that if I had to stop wearing heels in general, it would be difficult to accept.

Yes! Of course.It would!  As many has already written here,it seems impossible. Some had tried. And back to heels wearing again.

No. I just mean that if I have the opportunity to wear heels during several hours,it is really difficult to go back to flat. As if I have to get rid of something that is necessary to my balance,physically and mentally! 

Has others here experienced that feeling. A frustrating one without any doubt. 

Pierre 

• Like 1

I had this feeling when I first started wearing 4" heels, even after wearing them for 15 hours straight.  I have a pair of 3" booties that I wore around the house and I would slip into them to ease the difference, but my wife didn't like that.  She says spending that much time in heels will cause my calf muscles to shorten, and I think she has a valid point generally about the importance of exercising the legs and feet.  So now, around the house, when I think about it, I'll do some foot and leg exercises walking around, without the support of shoes and heels, with the goal of maintaining strength and flexibility for heel wearing later.  We also do ballet exercises together in the morning.  This focus on stretching and exercise addresses the desire for me regarding heels, even when I am not wearing them.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Imagining to stop wearing heels would be like living in Wisconsin and not eating cheese or drinking beer. NONE of these things is going to happen as long as I'm living! HinH

Couldn’t have said that better myself, a life without heels would be unthinkable 

• Like 1

I cannot remember a time in my life that I didn’t wear heels or girls shoes.  After several failed attempts to quit, I decided never to try to quit again.  I was 16 when I began wearing “girls shoes” exclusively, including heels, full time. When I tried to quit, It didn’t matter how long I went not wearing them, the desire to wear heels became stronger the longer I went without wearing them, to a point that it began to affect my temperament.  The relief that I felt once I put on a pair of heels was instantaneous.  I immediately felt normal again.  Hard to explain. But I’m not the only person that wears heels to feel this way.  Over the years ,  I’ve chatted with countless other heel wearing men that have described the same feelings and gone through identical situations.  You can’t quit.  No matter how hard you try, the desire never will go away.  So, keep your sanity.  Face the fact and sit back, relax and enjoy it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

It's remarkable how similar some of our routines are, even though we don't really know each other at all. I too worry a bit about what wearing heels might do to my body, and I do regular stretching and exercise to combat the possible effects of heels. I also do exercises to enhance my heel wearing experience, although I can honestly say that wearing heels hasn't ever caused me much of a problem physically.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am also worried about wearing heels could do,to my body. And even more because I like quite,high heels. 

Nothing bad is noticeable so far. 

What execises would you recommend if several days with flats can't be avoided? 

And just a remark: after several hours in heels,it difficult to return to flats physically AND (!) mentally! As if I had to loose my real identity  

Do you experience such a feeling? 

Pierre 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pierre1961 said:

I am also worried about wearing heels could do,to my body. And even more because I like quite,high heels. 

Nothing bad is noticeable so far. 

What execises would you recommend if several days with flats can't be avoided? 

And just a remark: after several hours in heels,it difficult to return to flats physically AND (!) mentally! As if I had to loose my real identity  

Pierre 

That's an interesting question about the things I do to make wearing heels easier and better. Maybe I should make a separate post about it someday, with illustrations. I feel like the three most important things I do are: 1) A yoga routine that includes lots of the pose Downward Facing Dog. This keeps the back of my entire legs flexible and supple, as it's a stretch that's basically the opposite of wearing heels. Also, it encourages me to find a good posture with my shoulders and neck when I'm standing up, as I tend to have a natural slouch. 2) I move a golf ball around with my bare feet, sometimes several times a day to strengthen the muscles in my feet. 3) When I brush my teeth in the morning, I have an electric toothbrush that stays on for 2 minutes. So I balance on each foot for 1 minute in heels, just like you might for a field sobriety test. It seems kind of silly, but I do believe that over time, it has improved my heel wearing experience.

And yes, when it's time to take off the heels for whatever reason, that's a sad time of the day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pierre1961 said:

Pierre 

I wouldn’t feel fully dressed in regular shoes anymore.  I don’t leave the house with anything less than 3” heels.  The boots I wear doing chores around the house are 2.5”.  

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

And yes, when it's time to take off the heels for whatever reason, that's a sad time of the day!

I guess it’s like most other clothes.  You don’t sleep in them so you have to change out at some point at the end of the day.  Though since I have started wearing heels, I have become more active in the evening because I am looking for things to do before I have to retire the shoes for the day.  And then when you have had a good full day, you can rest happily looking forward to another day in heels the next day!

• Like 1

I use to worry about wearing heels might shorten my calf muscles and not be able to walk in flats. I even had a post in the Women's Tread Are You Stuck in High Heels. (Had @meganiwish  submit it for me since I didn't want to get in trouble.)  I put my heels on around 7 am and sometimes don't take them off until 10 pm at night. Other times I will take them off at 4 and go walk on the beach.

On my days off I slide into and out of my mules. Run errands and shop in the mules but work in my garden either barefooted or in running shoes. If I go for long walk I switch to running shoes because of the surfaces I will travel over (uneven pavement, gravel, dirt, sand), I also ride my bike in flats.

I was able to learn to walk in high heels in about a minute (zero learn curve) because I had been doing ankle strengthening exercises for years. They are the same that Korean Airlines use to teach the Stewardess how to walk in heels, and similar to @mlroseplant's.

While standing barefooted on an incline, stand on one foot and then raise your heel and balance for a minute. Repeat 5 times. Switch feet. Do 3 - 5 sets.

Edited by Cali
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cali said:

While standing barefooted on an incline, stand on onw foot and then raise your heel and balance for a minute. Repeat 5 times. Switch feet. Do 3 - 5 sets.

Not sure about the incline, but this sound a lot like the releve in ballet.  It’s one of my favourite:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cali said:

But she is cheating, she's holding on.

Forward to 56 seconds and it’s clearer that the barre is there for safety and stability rather than to aid in lifting.  

My experience was like Cali's in that I seemingly had no learning curve. It wasn't until a vacation where I was able to use the Olympic-size pool at my old high school that I realised all that swimming as conditioning for football and baseball was probably the reason. Working those calves, ankles, and legs during my routine I believe gave me the toning I needed not only to perform on the gridiron as well as the diamond but would prove useful later in life taking strides at a higher level :fine: HinH 

• Like 1

Lots of fencing, cycling, distance running and stretching gave me strong and flexible ankles and so trying on heels was not physically all that difficult either. Wearing ankle boots with 3.5 inch heels has never been a problem in the least.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

I also use to swim,to bike and hike a lot. For sure all these activities give suppleness and strength. 

Never had any problem neither walking in the city with 3.5/4"(block) heels. 

• Like 1

Yes, I have the same feeling when I wear heels (even if they are very high sometimes) 2’ or 3 '

I feel more confident, more 'myself' happier, and at that time I wonder why so much inequality of clothing between man and woman when our time is precisely aimed at a perfect gender equality/parity man. I think this point would move much faster if the men broke their shackles: closed shoe shirt suit

• Like 1