Wobbly heels

Bought some new boots a few months back, worn them a few times, and now on one boot the 4" heel is a bit unstable, moving back and forth. Tried to super-glue it but no luck. Tried to search around on the 'net, but couldn't find anything useful. Any tips on how to fix this? Or how much they would cost to fix professionally? They're great boots... Thanx.

Sort of depends on why it's wobbly. If it's just because the heel has come loose, you should be able to fix it yourself. Peel up the insole of the shoe to expose the screws holding the heel on to the shoe. You may find that they are loose. If so, I would recommend replacing them with the next size larger screw, whatever it is. I might also epoxy the heel to the shoe when you replace the screws. That ought to hold things steady for quite a while.

On the other hand, if the heel seems securely attached, but there is still wobbliness, it's probably a bent or broken shank, and then you're pretty much screwed. I've had this happen to me several times, and it's very frustrating. It all comes of walking in shoes that are not really meant to be walked in.

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2019 at 6:01 AM, jeremy1986 said:

Macgyer would have been able to fix them with a bit of duck tape, that's for sure. 

Tried duct tape, and apparently I'm no MacGyver... I inspected the screws, but they were fine. I strategically (I think?) applied some super-glue and hopefully they hold. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet... 

Thank you @mlroseplant, I read up a bit about the shank, and now understand what's likely going on. Would be sad to see these go. :(

On 7/3/2019 at 8:01 AM, jeremy1986 said:

Macgyer would have been able to fix them with a bit of duck tape, that's for sure. 

I have a coworker who habitually calls it "goose tape." Has nothing to do with the topic, but sometimes you have to wander in the conversation.

59 minutes ago, hiddenheels said:

Tried duct tape, and apparently I'm no MacGyver... I inspected the screws, but they were fine. I strategically (I think?) applied some super-glue and hopefully they hold. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet... 

Thank you @mlroseplant, I read up a bit about the shank, and now understand what's likely going on. Would be sad to see these go. :(

I have had my heart broken by a broken shank. I hope it's not the case, but if it is, I feel you, brother.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...