11 Tricks to Wearing High Heels Without Pain

Heike

11 Tricks to Wearing High Heels Without Pain.

11 Tricks to Wearing High Heels Without Pain

It's safe to say that wearing heels isn't always a walk in the park. Sore ankles and achy arches are anything but ideal. Yet, women still do it on a daily basis. I mean, I can't blame all the heel-wearing ladies out there, because they do look fabulous and heels can totally take an outfit to the next level. However, it does suck to be in excruciating pain before you've even made it to work or an event.

The good news? There are tricks to wearing heels the right way. I know it seems impossible to actually survive a day of wearing heels and not want to soak your feet for hours at the end of the night, but there actually are things you can do to help.

Whether it's the shape of the shoe, when you buy it, or how you walk, you would be amazed to see how many things can effect your comfort level. Some things may seem a little obvious, but others are straight up genius. Here are 11 tricks you should definitely try next time you wear a pair of heels. 

1. Wear the Right Size
  • phuyg2sr281.jpg
  • Feet have a tendency to swell when you're wearing shoes for an extended period of time. If heels are extra snug to begin with, then you'll surely be in trouble after a few hours of wear. That last thing you want are ingrown toe nails or bunions.

2. Choose a Bit of Platform
  • phm39pdquc1.jpg

Sure, those strappy, skinny summer stilettos may look like a dream. However, it's important to be realistic about what kind of shoe has day-long potential. A thin sole will most likely cause pain for the bottom of your foot. Look for something with some rubber on the bottom to provide a bit of a buffer. Ideal? A heel that has a bit of a platform in the front. The platform reduces the incline of your foot, making things more comfortable all around.

• 3. Add More Cushion

phqyl86pwk1.jpg
  • Store-bought inserts can be your BFF. Add a little extra cushion to your shoe and your dogs won't be barking as quick. My go-to? Foot Petals tip toes ($6.95, footpetals.com).

• 4. Shop at the End of the Day

phe3rrgog81.jpg

While you're at it, do your shoe shopping at the end of the day when your feet are more swollen, podiatrist Franklin Polun advises Washington Post readers.

• 5. Lead With Your Thighs

phg6iasrok1.jpg

When you walk, lead with your thighs, moving your entire leg forward at once. Think about it: You're probably used to letting your feet lead, right? It takes practice, but you'll find yourself putting less pressure on the ball of your foot this way. And remember: Move your legs from the hips and keep your legs straight. Bending knees looks goofy with heels.

• 6. Take Breaks

phpdduqbwo1.jpg
  • Whether you're wearing heels or not, being on your feet for an extended period of time will hurt your tootsies no matter what. Do yourself a favor and take turns standing and sitting over the course of a day/night in heels.
  • 7. Go Wedge, Young Lady

phcpooq9kw1.jpg

The narrower the heel, the greater the pain. So go for a chunkier heel or a wedge. Podiatrist Erika Schwartz tells the Washington Post, "The bigger the heel, if it’s chunky or a wedge, seems to be better because the shoe has a wider base of stability. A skinnier heel and you’re more likely to have ankle spraining."

• 8. Score More

phtennhlw01.jpg
  • A surprising high heel tip from supermodel Tyra Banks: Score the bottoms of your shoes with scissor points to create grooves so you don't slip when you (inevitably) wobble.
  • 9. Break in With a Shoe Stretcher

pht51d75wk1.jpg

Break in your new pair with a high heel shoe stretcher ($24.99, shoesmart.com), which will stretch out the width of those pumps.

• 10. Check the Heel Placement

phmqj31ows1.jpg.
  • Choose shoes with heels placed directly under the center of your foot's heel (left), not at the very back of the shoe (right).
  • 11. Get Strappy

phrh8un00s1.jpg

Heels are more comfortable to walk in when you get a little extra support from straps, like ballet slipper, Mary Jane, gladiator, or T-strap.

Edited by Heike
  • Like 5

Not really bad advice, if a bit generic. Perhaps I am a bit jaded because I've been immersed in this stuff for so long, but most of it is obvious. However, Tip No. 5 is a bit of a puzzlement, and it's not the first time I've seen it or something similar. Lead with your thighs. What does that even mean? Two sentences later, it says lead with your hips. I challenge anyone to take a normal step without moving their entire leg, and your foot is of course always going to be "leading," by physiological necessity. Furthermore, the only way to keep from bending your knees is to have good ankle flexibility, and in very high heels, perhaps extraordinary ankle flexibility.

I think this advice is not bad, but it's very poorly explained. Perhaps what they mean is that you should walk with core muscles engaged, so that not only are you stepping forward, but you are actually pushing off with the trailing foot through the glutes while extending the leading foot/leg forward in a fluid motion, relaxing the ankle for a moment so as not to bend your knee and look totally goofy in your 5 inch heels, all while tightening the abs, but relaxing the lower spine.

My explanation wasn't any better was it? That's because it's like trying to explain to somebody how to ride a bicycle. It can't really be done. You just have to go do it and figure it out.

• Like 2

I disagree with the wider heel statement. Maybe i have very strong ankles because i find my thin stilettos way easier to walk in, as i said before, the weight is at one point, in wider heels the load moves around and i find harder on my knees.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:12 AM, Jkrenzer said:

I disagree with the wider heel statement. Maybe i have very strong ankles because i find my thin stilettos way easier to walk in, as i said before, the weight is at one point, in wider heels the load moves around and i find harder on my knees.

I agree on this point. When I have worn chunky/block heels I feel like I’m clopping along and not very fluid or graceful. My knees seem to take more of a beating.  But I will say I also do not have a problem with weak or wobbly ankles.  

Number 10 is an interesting point to me.  My last acquisition came as Payless was in its final death throws.  I purchased a pair of Christian Siranto Habit pumps for pennies on the dollar.  I have wondered about the setback style of heel.  I really find it to walk more like a block heel but feels like a stiletto it is.  A block heel is making the initial strike at the back of the shoe just as does the setback heel.  They are a keeper.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Most of the advice seems generic and common-sense plus I'm sure Heike realises walking in heels is not new for the majority of our members. I love wedges and have many of them but I can walk quite well in any of my stiletto heels too. Whether one leads with the thigh or the hip the keys are getting shoes that fit in the first place (Cali said it best) and having the determination and confidence to walk out the door in those heels. Everyone's gait is as unique as their signature and incorporating new heels into that gait is a challenge. Luckily it's a challenge we all willingly look forward to. HappyinHeels

Yesterday, I saw a couple walking from a parking lot to a funeral home. The couple probably late 30's. She was wearing a pair of sling back, peep toe pumps with a 5" stiletto heel. You could see that she was really struggling walking in those heels. Just the facial expressions said that, "I don't know why I wearing these heels". I wanted to tell her if they were my size and I doubt that they were, I would put them on and show her how easy it would be for me to walk in those heels. LOL Yes many of us guys can walk much better in heels than many women. Maybe we have more practice!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluejay said:

Yesterday, I saw a couple walking from a parking lot to a funeral home. The couple probably late 30's. She was wearing a pair of sling back, peep toe pumps with a 5" stiletto heel. You could see that she was really struggling walking in those heels. Just the facial expressions said that, "I don't know why I wearing these heels". I wanted to tell her if they were my size and I doubt that they were, I would put them on and show her how easy it would be for me to walk in those heels. LOL Yes many of us guys can walk much better in heels than many women. Maybe we have more practice!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I guarantee you we have more practice! I never heard of a woman who purposefully goes out and walks in heels just because she likes them. I'm sure such a woman exists, but I've never met one personally. The idea of "recreational" heels is an anathema to 99.9% of women, but ask most of the guys on here, "Hey, do you want to go for an after-dinner walk?" The decision would be, hmmmm, do I wear wedges or stilettos?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

"Hey, do you want to go for an after-dinner walk?" The decision would be, hmmmm, do I wear wedges or stilettos?

Or flats !  Lol 

Im always in my heels for dinner walk date shop coffee drinks what ever is planned or unplanned 

On 6/29/2019 at 6:44 AM, bluejay said:

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Probably because for her they were a fashion accessoiry needed for the occasion. For us its a passion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 6:44 AM, bluejay said:

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

To think positiv, she was walking in those 5" heels for hours and now she is done, which would be understandable.

In any case we should think positive, even if she struggles with those shoes, she is wearing them. Maybe not long and maybe with pain after a short time, but still better then sneakers :) And mybe she get used to them by wearing them more often....

On 6/29/2019 at 11:58 AM, mlroseplant said:

I guarantee you we have more practice! I never heard of a woman who purposefully goes out and walks in heels just because she likes them. I'm sure such a woman exists, but I've never met one personally. The idea of "recreational" heels is an anathema to 99.9% of women, but ask most of the guys on here, "Hey, do you want to go for an after-dinner walk?" The decision would be, hmmmm, do I wear wedges or stilettos?

I wouldn't say that women wear heels only for special events. I think many of them like heels, but don't like the restraints.

Yeah, with the after dinner walk it is a mess.... I wouldn't expect a woman to have a 5 mile after dinner walk, but walking a few hundret yards up to a mile, shouldn't be a problem!