Platforms

Heike

Platforms can be a blessing, and a woman's best friend. When I wear mine, I'm actually standing in 6" heels, but because of the platform, my feet think they're standing in 4" heels. But if they're pumps, the back needs to fit very snugly. I find it best when I buy them to decide at that point if I'm going to wear them barefoot or in hose.

heels1.jpg

heike7.jpg

• Like 2

Platforms are my favorite style of heels, be it pumps, sandals or boots. I too like the illusion of a higher heel without the strain on your feet to balance on a 5" rise. But the nice thing here is that everyone has their own tastes and are respectful of each others. We all have one thing in common and that is the love of heels and the discussions concerning them.

• Like 1

They did take a bit of getting used to. After wearing heels almost daily my entire adult life, my soles were used to feeling the ground, which lacked when I started wearing platforms.

The hose vs. no-hose thing is just for pumps. If the platforms are slingbacks or slides, it doesn't matter.

Edited by Heike
Forgot one point

12 hours ago, Heike said:

Platforms can be a blessing, and a woman's best friend.

They're also a man's best friend. I have both platforms and no platforms. I like platforms better because I have tender feet and thin soles hurt, especially walking over those yellow bumps. Even 1/2 inch platforms help my feet. However, the higher the platform the harder it is to walk down stairs. 

I wear heels every day and walk up and down stairs. Walking up and down starts in 4" heels with no platform is easy compared to walking down in something like my Steve Madden Manners.

The effective angle of descent is much greater, and then you have to remember that the there is a 2 inch difference from where you are going to put your foot and the step. It's a perception thing.

SMmannerCHsmall.JPG

Edited by Cali
  • Like 2

Aahhh. I get it. The angle is the same angle (4" with no platform and 6" with a 2" platform) but you still have the extra height below.

59 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

Yes, I wonder...:cheeky:

Well that's our male side kicking in ;-)

A big majority of my collection are platforms, but recently I've been enjoying single sole pumps. They work well with alot of clothing. They're modest and cute. I still enjoy my 6 and 7 inch platforms though, but I will be exploring single sole pumps for a bit. I did just buy a pair of patent Aldo nude pumps, and they are my new favorite.

I strongly dislike platforms. I didn't used to, but now it feels kinda like cheating. You're not really walking 6 inches, just 4 once you subtract the platform. Visually I find them off too. Like your feet are deformed. I know from experience they are however very comfy to walk in. Well, at least they were to me when I still owned them. :giggle:  Sold them all when my tastes changed back to single sole again.

• Like 2

I have quite a number of platforms, but they are largely limited to 1" or less. I kind of like wearing 5 inch heels with only a 4 inch rise, but I draw the line at wearing a 6" heel with a 2" platform. Somewhere in that range, the whole feel of the shoe just becomes clunky and strange looking, especially if the wearer has very slim legs and ankles. As far as "cheating," what exactly are we cheating on, unless it's bragging rights, who can walk in the steepest heels for the longest period of time? I think that's a male thing, I don't think women pay attention to the exact height of the heel and/or steepness in the way that we do.

I have platforms from 1/2 inch hidden to 2+ inches and wear them all the time. I love wearing my 2 inch platform sandals with short shorts to work. I just enjoy the variety and when you wear heels everyday you need to show that variety...people notice.

I see the platform or lack of one as I do the style of high heeled footwear you choose to wear. It's all about your mood and the image you want to project that particular day. A platform makes that sandal or pump or boot a little sassier which may fit the venue one is going to. Since 75% of my footwear have heels of 5"/12cm or higher I'd say an equal percentage have a platform of some sort. Ultimately, we all want to feel and look our best which fuels that confidence I have talked so much about in past posts. Strap in, stride on, and go do your own thing! HappyinHeels

No, you're not wearing heels of 5" or higher, you're wearing heels of 5" or higher minus the platform height. So in case of a 2" platform you're wearing 3" heels. It's how far your heels are elevated above the ball and toes of your feet that matters, not the ground. And that's why I call it cheating. You think you are daring, I just shrug and go meh, low heels. :angel:

So those of us with 2 inch platforms and 6.5+ inch heels, are we cheating too? 

I like a 3.75" to 4.5" difference between toe height and heel height.

• Like 1

The point about the wearing of platforms being 'cheating' is really because people state/boast/claim that they regularly wear (for example) '6" heels', without further qualification.   But when those shoes have a 2" platform, the true elevation of 4" is scarcely impressive and the wearer is, in essence, 'cheating' by claiming the heel height (6") as the accomplishment.

Personally, and quite aside from the question of elevation height and misleading claims, I find most platform footwear unattractive.   It can look very clumpy (orthopaedic even) and, if the shoe has an 'added' under-platform (rather than the concealed type), the whole shoe can look very unbalanced and ugly.   (Sorry, HappyinHeels, your avatar shoes are exactly that imho!)   I am hard-pressed to see the point of platforms except to add another inch or two to one's apparent body height when standing, and how many people really need that?   Some say that a platform gives a useful cushioning effect - but surely a padded insole would do that much better, and with minimal extra height?

I will now descend from my platform - or soapbox, rather - and move on ...

• Like 1

All I can say is that opinions are like elbows...everyone has one one. Whether you like platforms or not each has their own taste and reasons for choosing their own style. All I can hope for is that we are open minded enough to not denegrade someone for their choice in heels. Again heel height is a choice or preference not a competition who can wear what height whether it be with or without platforms. Another old saying...."if you can not say something nice....better to not say anything at all."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bailey said:

All I can say is that opinions are like elbows...everyone has one one. Whether you like platforms or not each has their own taste and reasons for choosing their own style. All I can hope for is that we are open minded enough to not denegrade someone for their choice in heels. Again heel height is a choice or preference not a competition who can wear what height whether it be with or without platforms. Another old saying...."if you can not say something nice....better to not say anything at all."

Totally agree.   Everyone has there own likes and dislikes.    I like my single sole shoes and boots.    I like my platform shoes and boots.    It all depends on the look I am happy with. The outfit I’m wearing.   The activity I am doing or attending.   If I had to pick my single most fav it would be my Steve Madden Dejavu black platform pumps.  Here they are

when the were discontinued I bought 3 more pair in black and 2 more in the nude/beige.   I think they are 6”/2”  and so comfortable.    I have others that are more conservative and others that my GF says they scream CFM!!!  

I don’t own any slingbacks,  I’m looking   I don’t own any sandals or wedges just haven’t found something I like    I am looking for some peep toe pumps for this summer 

We all have our own tastes and we all are able to heel in different capacities as we all have different likes, dislikes, tastes, and comfort levels   

CAT 

image.thumb.jpg.d17cb86bc8ffd33c37b4f27e7bee428a.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.963076bcd7c6a07ad014ded1208e4ae1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b7ab68766f5679a0f5b0b739ba0d3628.jpeg

Edited by CAT
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Puffer said:

Some say that a platform gives a useful cushioning effect - but surely a padded insole would do that much better, and with minimal extra height?

I like a bit of platform. Even a 1/4" is good. I have single sole and find I feel every little pebble to irritate the balls of my feet - Not fun in my book. I'll take a minimal platform over a single sole every time I know I'm on sidewalks. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Heelster said:

I like a bit of platform. Even a 1/4" is good. I have single sole and find I feel every little pebble to irritate the balls of my feet - Not fun in my book. I'll take a minimal platform over a single sole every time I know I'm on sidewalks. 

I would agree there!!!  I feel the the pebbles  in singles soles!!!! However “it’s better to look good then to feel good dahling and you rook mavlous!!!”

Lol 

Edited by CAT
  • Haha 1

I feel everything in a single sole heels, even with a padded gel insole. I still have single sole heels and I have platforms. In the summer its platform sandals 90% of the time.

I'm still very confused about the "cheating" thing. I understand the concept perfectly well, but why on earth does it matter? Is it also "cheating" if you're size 13 and claim to wear 5 inch heels all day, every day without platform? Who cares? I've never, ever met a woman who can tell me exactly the height of her heels she happens to be wearing at the moment, much less the platform height, and she doesn't care about those numbers, unless there is a specific reason to. That is a guy thing.

• Like 1

By nature men are competitive, this is likely the reason. I agree, it's not about the height, it's about the feel. For me and my size 11 women's sizing, 4.75 to 5 inch rise is the feel I prefer.

As a long time wearer, and full time wearer - its a balance between aesthetics and the feel. I don't like platforms personally because the shoe doesn't respond well or as sensitively when walking on varied surfaces, and when on my feet for a long time a platform becomes uncomfortable - and a little dangerous due to a lack of feel.

regardless of the whole heel height/platform vs non platform etc... for me it comes to a couple of things.

Colours are important to me, a lightweight pump is my favourite - I love the barely there but sturdy stiletto heel feeling. I don't get into comparing heights etc.. its about the lightweightness, the curvature of the shoe and how it fits my foot, I find hels more comfortable than flats for standing in over a long period of time.

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

she doesn't care about those numbers, unless there is a specific reason to. That is a guy thing.

Interestingly, the only person who has ever asked me how high my heels are was a woman...

Regarding platform, I don’t have any experience with significant platform height, nor do I need to as I am already pretty tall.  I do like being able to feel what I am walking on when wearing a thin sole, which for me is only a recent discovery, as shoes designed for men always have thick soles.  

8 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Interestingly, the only person who has ever asked me how high my heels are was a woman...

Regarding platform, I don’t have any experience with significant platform height, nor do I need to as I am already pretty tall.  I do like being able to feel what I am walking on when wearing a thin sole, which for me is only a recent discovery, as shoes designed for men always have thick soles.  

Naturally, there are always exceptions to the rule, and in fact, my best shoe buddy is such an exception, but for an unexpected reason. If memory serves, she has very few platforms, and those that are are very small platforms, but she doesn't like to wear anything over 4 inches in her size 5 1/2, and preferably somewhere around 3 1/2 - 3 3/4 inches. The reason she doesn't like to go any higher than that is not because she can't walk in them, it is because once the shoes get that steep, her calf muscles lump up in a way that she finds unattractive. The funny thing is, body builders and fitness chicks try to achieve this look on purpose, but she doesn't like it, so she intentionally limits her heel height.

I will give you this about single soles: If you happen to step on a rock or stick or some other small object, the sideways force that your ankle experiences is far less violent than if you were wearing platforms.

Over the years, I’ve worn heels as high as 7” and as low as 3” regularly with 5” heels being my height of choice.  I’ve learned overtime how important it is, when wearing shoes with very high, thin heels, to learn to recognize the nature of the ground or condition of the surface on which you’re about to place your foot/feet.  Wearing extremely high heels outside on regular street surfaces is much different than wearing around the house where the floor is smooth and even, and the chance of walking on irregular surfaces is slight.  I discovered early on the trick when walking is to place your foot on the ground in the spot where you want it to go and then, a split second before completing the step, feel for cracks, stones or other undesirable conditions through the sole of your shoes. Once you determine in your mind it is safe to transfer your weight onto the leading foot,  you can go about completing your step.  It takes awhile to learn how to do this and to recognize unsafe conditions but with practice and experience, it will come. 

Very thin high heels are notoriously unstable.  Wearing them causes you to change the way you walk.  Everything from the speed of your pace, length of stride, ease of balance and attentiveness to going up and down inclines and especially stairs.  Extremely high heels can be dangerous to your health.  Caution is the way. ;-)  

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

22 minutes ago, Bubba136 said:

Over the years, I’ve worn heels as high as 7” and as low as 3” regularly with 5” heels being my height of choice.  I’ve learned overtime how important it is, when wearing shoes with very high, thin heels, to learn to recognize the nature of the ground or condition of the surface on which you’re about to place your foot/feet.  Wearing extremely high heels outside on regular street surfaces is much different than wearing around the house where the floor is smooth and even, and the chance of walking on irregular surfaces is slight.  I discovered early on the trick when walking is to place your foot on the ground in the spot where you want it to go and then, a split second before completing the step, feel for cracks, stones or other undesirable conditions through the sole of your shoes. Once you determine in your mind it is safe to transfer your weight onto the leading foot,  you can go about completing your step.  It takes awhile to learn how to do this and to recognize unsafe conditions but with practice and experience, it will come. 

Very thin high heels are notoriously unstable.  Wearing them causes you to change the way you walk.  Everything from the speed of your pace, length of stride, ease of balance and attentiveness to going up and down inclines and especially stairs.  Extremely high heels can be dangerous to your health.  Caution is the way. ;-)  

pretty well said although I wouldn't say thin heels are notoriously unstable. I find them just fine, easy as now, and thats even after a few too many wines.

I agree with your reference to pavements etc, but with regular wearing it becomes a second nature to navigate your way in heels, taking flatter surfaces, choosing steps over ramps, taking a longer route to get somewhere because the surfaces are better, not running across the middle of roads and using crossings etc.... Its just different but it becomes a new norm.